#8 explained a little better:

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsuperman

Established Member
Have you seen this same lean condition on the datalog from a 2013? I'm guessing Ford hasn't made any changes in their factory tune.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Explains why a lot of boosted guys aren't blowin. Meth along with running a bit richer for safety is what was saving their asses eh?

I was going to ask this. Why aren't non-meth guys popping motors on SC applications?

turd burglar

Established Member
Cuz they still are probably throwing more fuel at it to avoid any lean spike. Boosted is always better to play it safe and sacrifice some hp for peace of mind.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Shaun - hypothetically speaking, is it possible to grenade a motor tuned/untuned while driving under normal conditions? Is there any symptoms of an upcoming failure? Excessive oil usage? It seems to me from what I've read cars with excessive oil usage are the cars that pop.

alex12gt

Established Member
I would guess blowers arnt poping then as mosf of the tunes run rich my last dyno shows a solid 10.5:1 but im happy giving up a slight amount to maintain a saftey net ive also contacted shaun about my net build

SVTPete83

Established Member
I would guess blowers arnt poping then as mosf of the tunes run rich my last dyno shows a solid 10.5:1 but im happy giving up a slight amount to maintain a saftey net ive also contacted shaun about my net build

I would guess this is accurate. A/f ratios on supercharged cars runs richer than na cars. And most of the time tuners are doing street tunes which will be rich regardless for that safety window.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Give credit where it is due!

Anybody in the NY area Adam at Pops racing can hook you up with whatever you need! He is a top notch tuner and is the guy responsible for helping me take AED tuning to the 'next level'. In return for his support, I fully support Pops Racing.

Whereabouts in NY is he located? After I get my motor issue fixed I really want a good E85 tune in it, and I planned on working with you upon completion because of the amount of good reviews Ive seen. If he works with you, that would be awesome, b/c Id love to get it on the dyno and make sure the tune is 100%.

Also: What shortblock would you suggest? Thinking Boss shortblock, possibly a MMR rod/piston rebuild, etc. Are the billet oil pump gears and Boss upgrades to the head worth it in your opinion? Id like to rev the motor a bit higher than stock and it MAY see some spray a while down the road. Thanks man :beer:

Last edited:

gs462

Established Member
Shaun I see where the yellow line COmmanded Lambda drops down to .085 Approximately what is the A/F ratio at this point?

CPRsm

What's wierd is that it's #8. I've dynoed w stock tunes w new plugs and they show the stock tune favoring runner 8 and 6 iirc.

turd burglar

Established Member
Well #8 comes into play where MMR was mostly right with their "fix" I think. It's more of a tune issue than a coolant issue like they claim, but since that cylinder probably does run a little hotter since its got no (or smaller) water jacket than the rest, it's most likely to detonate, unless the tuner tunes by cylinder and fuels around that issue. Just a guess though.

01bluesnake

Established Member
What's wierd is that it's #8. I've dynoed w stock tunes w new plugs and they show the stock tune favoring runner 8 and 6 iirc.

The lean commanded afr is only part of the culprit. The other one is that those cylinders in the back of the driver side run hotter and cause the other reason only those are popping and not the whole motor. When a motor runs a lean afr, all the pistons and plugs will show signs when nothing else has input on the situation like uneven cylinder temps.

CPRsm

It being in the corner usually makes them richer in EFI. But Ford has individual cyl tables to correct that. When I ran it and looked at the plugs #8 was not the leanest or hottest. So I'm wondering if tuners are changing those tables which would not be smart, or just why #8. His explanation makes sense and why an engine would go. But 8 first is just odd.

Shaun@AED

There are individual cylinder fueling tables.

#8 also gets more oil if there is any in the intake from the PCV due to it being the very back cylinder. (accelerate hard and oil runs to the back of the intake)

Shaun@AED

Air fuel = Lambda x Stoich of the fuel

Gasoline = 14.64 stoich
E10 = 14.08 stoich (programmed in all Copperheads)

Most widebands are programmed for Pure Gasoline and therefore don't read the correct air fuel when using our new E10/E15 fuel.
All Widebands read LAMBDA, then the software converts it to Air Fuel.

I just ordered an ECM AFM 1600 with Lambda readout for on-track tuning to match the AFM 1500 I use on my dyno.

01bluesnake

Established Member
There are individual cylinder fueling tables.

#8 also gets more oil if there is any in the intake from the PCV due to it being the very back cylinder. (accelerate hard and oil runs to the back of the intake)

while that's true, I don't see puddles of oil staying in manifold, maybe a coating of oil. While I pulled mine with the stock pcv I expected to see a lot but actually seen none minus residue of oil in the intake. Also the oil could cause detonation from lowering the octane, but shouldn't cause it lean to a point that only those cylinders would go, it would affect them all within reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread