5.4 swap intake options?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Adapter plates extend the runner length. Bad idea.
Adapter plates move the injector upstream. Bad idea.
Sullivan intake: Bad idea.
(Sullivan was a single plane intake, not good for a torque engine, like the 5.4)
As far as other intakes, I have actually DONE these swaps,
I actually DID the development.
Basically, I used more than a computer keyboard.
Look at the Corral N/A torque list.
Several of the top members are using the Boss intake kit I developed.
There are no PCV issues with it, as the intake was designed by Ford engineers
for EXACTLY what it is being used for.
There is a lot more to the swap than just the intake manifold,
and the kit addresses ALL of them.
Here's a link.
Note the time it took to actually install the engine.

[ame=http://www.stangsofsouthflorida.com/forum/showpost.php?p=329855&postcount=1]Stangs of South Florida - View Single Post - 98 Cobra with a 5.4: the motor is in!!!![/ame]

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Adapter plates extend the runner length. Bad idea.
Adapter plates move the injector upstream. Bad idea.
Sullivan intake: Bad idea.
(Sullivan was a single plane intake, not good for a torque engine, like the 5.4)
As far as other intakes, I have actually DONE these swaps,
I actually DID the development.
Basically, I used more than a computer keyboard.
Look at the Corral N/A torque list.
Several of the top members are using the Boss intake kit I developed.
There are no PCV issues with it, as the intake was designed by Ford engineers
for EXACTLY what it is being used for.
There is a lot more to the swap than just the intake manifold,
and the kit addresses ALL of them.
Here's a link.

First, this thread is about intakes, not a 5.4 install kit.

-Adding runner length is only a bad idea if one wants to move the powerband upward.
-Moving the injector upstreams is a great idea since the stock injector timing fires the injector too soon, did you not already know this?
-The Sullivan is a great intake for its intended purpose.
-Ford developed the 290/260 intake for C heads, not Navis so...it's no different than a Ford developed Boss 5.0 intake being used on Navi heads
-Who said anything about PCV issues?
-I'm not out to make any money on this; just offering up suggestions and recommendations to those that want to make good power inexpensively.
-I see this mod costing well less than $1000 (intake, TB, throttle cable, fuel rails, remote IAC). What's the price of your kit and what does it include?
-Developed by Steve...is that good?

Seriously Steve, Hot Rodding is about thinking out of the box and doing something unique. I applaud you for developing a kit to make 5.4 installs easier and there are many people who are willing to go this route. However, many want to build/mod things themselves and it's these people that are willing to to attempt what others haven't. Like I said I'm not trying to make any money on a 5.4 intake or install kit or take any of your prospective customers away from you. I'm only offering options.

Shall we be sheep and follow the masses or shall we think for ourselves and make gobs of power?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
NaSVT is on my ignore list, as THIS told me everything I need to know.
I am not an advertiser here, so I do not post as one.

I've helped too many here Steve, they know better.

You always revert back to that thread when things go sour. It's sad, so sad.

Try keeping the personal attacks to PMs next time.

BTW, it's NA SVT

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
As you can see there are a few different routes you can take and they range from simple and inexpensive to complex and expensive. The cheapest would be the Reichard adapters and the cobra intake. The Reichard adapters and Cobra intake will get you over 400ft lbs and 370rwhp with a relatively mild combo. (5.4liter swap - Page 3). I believe those numbers are quite good and very similar to the power made by made by Birdman's combo.

Apparently the additional runner length doesn't hurt after all.

Last edited:

blackandblue223

Established Member
Birdman, your kit is great, but I just don't have that kind of cash. I'm working with a relatively small budget. I would really like to use my stock hood, cause I love the stock look of my cobra, but not if it's going to sacrifice too much power. I'm just trying to get an idea of what intake options are out there for a reasonable price, and what is the most efficient/effective. Vettez, when you say you have those adapters, do you mean you have 'em for sale, cause I might be interested.

At this point though, I think I'm leaning toward the boss 302 intake. I'm just going to have to practice welding aluminum and hope I don't butcher the shit out of my heads. I'm all about doing something new, and making something work that wasn't designed to be an easy bolt-on install. That's half the fun.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Reichard Racing has the adapters in stock. If you intend to take the engine no higher than 6500 a cobra/mach intake with adapters will work. It may not be optimum but it will sit low and make a boatload of tq.

Zero credibility ^^^^
Steve, this thread is quite humorous considering recent events:
[ame="http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117975"]FINALLY my engine build begins! - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

Last edited:

cobrasvt57

Established Member
Boss 290

An inexpensive 5.4 intake option, well two actually - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

There isn't a 5.4 running with the Boss intake yet, but there should be soon. You can make 400/400 with a stock cobra intake/adapters, 11:1CR and mild cams. When compred to a stock intake a Boss 260/290 intake would make more up top but less tq.

what if you took the boss 290 intake, 2KR cams set @ 114/XXX, 11.1 cpr,P&P 03/04 cylinder heads,with twin 67mm turbos? this combo should go over 1K rwhp right? And also have the tq from the 5.4 carry it until the turbos are fully spooled, Street tune 10 or > pump gas and 12< E85 ?

ANIMOSITY

US ARMY RECON
Established Member
Yes I know I'm bringing back this old thread, but Its the first one I found.

Did anyone ever make adapters to fit the Boss intake work? Like I said before, I have the 5.4 to 4.6 intake adapter plates, but would really like to use a boss intake on my car.

Ive got this motor about ready to go in but have a few items to finish. I'm in the middle of fabbing new brackets to mount my D1 down in the A/C area, and have to figure out headers. So I'm still looking for help and info.

Ive read somewhere that people have made long tube headers work, but how about a set of Mid length, or am i just going to need to use shorty's? Thanks for any help.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Now I see that MMR is making intake plates for adapting coyote intakes on 5.4 dohc. I wonder what size hood it would take to fit a boss 302 intake under a hood on my 01 cobra? I'm also what kind of rwhp a nice high compression 5.4 dohc can make. I'm debating on turbo/sc 4.6 dohc or n/a 5.4 dohc setup.

Users who are viewing this thread