5.4 swap intake options?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Well, regardless of the hood issue, what's the best intake to use for the swap? I really want to do an n/a build, but I don't know too too much about it and I'm trying to get more info. I just like the stock look of my car, but if I have to sacrifice some looks for performance I'm okay with that.

What's the RPM range and shift point?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
That was a Cobra R intake that was cut, sectioned, etc to fit a 4.6. Trying to find one of those would cost you 5K unmodified right now.

Cobra R lowers can be gotten for $600 and uppers can be made. However, the R intake cannot be used with Navi or C heads.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
It was listed for $5k, but what was it's selling price? I just sold a cobra R lower with a Billet, one-off upper for $1k.

It was listed for 5k, it didnt sell. :lol: The same guy keeps posting that thing for sell on Ebay and it hasnt sold that Im aware of but it isnt on there anymore. So it either sold or he is holding onto it for a while before he relists it.

BTW, what else you have laying around?

cbr repsol

Established Member
Here's what you need.
cheadcobrarintake.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
FR500 heads, ported, OS valves and matching custom intake - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club
thats called unobtanium...lol
How much for it? And is it a modified stock one or something you make from scratch?
ironhand is the guy u want to talk to. seriously....he can make anything.
You could just put washers between the k member and the body of the car till you find a really k member.
how is ironhands kmember not real? dont think u know what u are talking about.
lol

Washers wont give u the proper clearance between the valve covers and brake booster
yeah i know i was looking at your car and u still needed to make a tiny notch in the coil cover to clear master cyl. Other than that it was pure sex.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
thats called unobtanium...lol

ironhand is the guy u want to talk to. seriously....he can make anything.

how is ironhands kmember not real? dont think u know what u are talking about.

yeah i know i was looking at your car and u still needed to make a tiny notch in the coil cover. Other than that it was pure sex.

I fixed it so now that isnt a problem. That was my own fault and now that isnt needed to clear.

blackandblue223

Established Member
What's the RPM range and shift point?

I'd like to be shifting in the higher 6ks or 7k just like my 4.6. I'm kind of just looking for any info about the swap that I can. I don't really know my options for cams, intakes, and heads. I know there's tons of threads about the swap out there, but they all have the same broken link to another thread in them. If any of you guys can give me more info in general, or point me in a good direction, I'd really appreciate it.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I'd like to be shifting in the higher 6ks or 7k just like my 4.6. I'm kind of just looking for any info about the swap that I can. I don't really know my options for cams, intakes, and heads. I know there's tons of threads about the swap out there, but they all have the same broken link to another thread in them. If any of you guys can give me more info in general, or point me in a good direction, I'd really appreciate it.

You'll want peak power to occur no earlier than 6300 if you plan to shift at or above 6500. Intakes that won't work for you are the stock Cobra and 5.0 intakes. Those that will work are the Boss 302 and Boss 260/290 and also a 5.5" short runner (with adapters they runner length is 7". The 7" intake will reduce mid range power but will allow shorter duration cams to be used.

Regarding cams, when installed at the correct LCs, you'll need intake cams with at least 225 degrees duration to get peak power to occur in the 6k. range.

blackandblue223

Established Member
Now I know the Boss 302 intake seems to be the cheaper option out of those, but I know it's not a direct bolton. What exactly is needed to make it work? Thanks for the info by the way. Any idea what kind of power/torque a good, streetable, n/a 5.4 setup would make?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Now I know the Boss 302 intake seems to be the cheaper option out of those, but I know it's not a direct bolton. What exactly is needed to make it work? Thanks for the info by the way. Any idea what kind of power/torque a good, streetable, n/a 5.4 setup would make?

An inexpensive 5.4 intake option, well two actually - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

There isn't a 5.4 running with the Boss intake yet, but there should be soon. You can make 400/400 with a stock cobra intake/adapters, 11:1CR and mild cams. When compred to a stock intake a Boss 260/290 intake would make more up top but less tq.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
This is what you need.
No notching, no super glue, no adapters.
An intake kit designed for exactly what you want.
No notching, no super glue, no adapters.

engine.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

no20hood.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yes, if someone was to choose the easy way out they could go this route and besides, the Boss 260/290 intakes look so darn good. See how they compare to the hideous and extremely lightweight Boss 5.0 intake on the right? Disgusting isn't it?

Seriously, the Boss 5.0 intake is a great option and very inexpensive if you have the ability to do the work yourself or have access to someone that can help.

The option Birdman offers is a bit more costly and weighs about 5 times more but it is a bolt on that matches up perfect to C heads. However, on Navi headed engines it's ports are way to small which causes a great drop in velocity at the point where the intake and head meet. I firmly beleive the Boss 5.0 is a better intake for Navi headed 5.4s whereas the Aussie Boss intake may be better for those with C heads.

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
I have reichard racing intake manifold adapters so u can run a 4.6 intake on a 5.4 motor. Makes like a lot easier. U actually can make it fit under a stock hood

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I have reichard racing intake manifold adapters so u can run a 4.6 intake on a 5.4 motor. Makes like a lot easier. U actually can make it fit under a stock hood

...and I've seen 5.4s with intake adapters make just as much or more power than those with the much more expensive Boss 260/290s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread