3.31 manual car goes 11's with AED tune and minimal mods

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah? Let's not forget that Shaun picked up 3 tenths and something like 2 mph when he went down to 3.55s from 3.73s. Unless I have a Boss intake and I am spinning the motor to 7500, I don't see how 3.90s are going to benefit me. I will have to make that 5th gear shift.

Mike

wrong youll end in 4th but towards the top of 4th. Also were the conditions the same. Picking up 3tenths and 2 mph from a gear change ive heard but not going down also track prep could have been totally different

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

I did pick up 3mph, but didnt drop much ET. Managed to match my 60ft with 3.73's, not sure about 330ft. 1/8 ET/MPh was very similar with both. It was the back half I was looking to improve without sacrificing too much on the front half.

In this instance it's the first half we need to concentrate on IMO.
.3 drop at the 1/8th should net an 11.3-11.5 depending on gearing/driver/power/weight.

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
@ viscous jay ur wrong I have 3.73 and finish the quarter almost redlining 4th and that's because I have the boss manifold crossing the line at about 7400 something with the stock manifold and rev limiter set at 7000 you will have to throw 5th with 3.73s or shorter gears

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
@ viscous jay ur wrong I have 3.73 and finish the quarter almost redlining 4th and that's because I have the boss manifold crossing the line at about 7400 something with the stock manifold and rev limiter set at 7000 you will have to throw 5th with 3.73s or shorter gears

i dont think i am there is plenty of guys finishing in 4th with 3.90's. Also that boss manifold isnt doing you much which is why your redlining (your over revving for no reason). I havent yet to race with the 3.90's (winter time) but ill say that everyone i know that talked me into 3.90's havent shifted into 5th

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
i dont think i am there is plenty of guys finishing in 4th with 3.90's. Also that boss manifold isnt doing you much which is why your redlining (your over revving for no reason). I havent yet to race with the 3.90's (winter time) but ill say that everyone i know that talked me into 3.90's havent shifted into 5th

Ok, well...let us know how it goes when you get out there. Everyone I have talked to has shifted into 5th with 3.73 gears, or bounced the limiter at the traps. I don't know how you are going to avoid that.

Mike

Onefstpny

WOT you Say ???
Established Member
With 3:73 and a 275/40R17 D/R I was shifting to 5th about 1200 ft, I was shiifting at 7000-7100 RPM.
On a 275/60R15 (28"tall) you should be able to run thru traps in 4th gear with a 3:73 gear.
Im jealous now I have a A6 car that im starting all over again...Damn !

Onefstpny

WOT you Say ???
Established Member
Al...did you make any passes last night ??? Im planning to go to Hub sunday for a few base line passes with new set up.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Killer run, Nice 60' too! That 60' really knocks some time off on the big end for sure.

Get some more power in that thing and keep chopping at those 11's

Chris

ViciousJay

Established Member
Ok, well...let us know how it goes when you get out there. Everyone I have talked to has shifted into 5th with 3.73 gears, or bounced the limiter at the traps. I don't know how you are going to avoid that.

Mike

let me let you in on a little secret "most people cant drive" highlight, but if 3.31 and 3.55 make you wet, hey power to you but i like the TQ feeling and i like the power down low feeling plus im almost positive i can trap in 4th

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
wrong youll end in 4th but towards the top of 4th. Also were the conditions the same. Picking up 3tenths and 2 mph from a gear change ive heard but not going down also track prep could have been totally different

He is correct. The 3.90 with the Boss manifold, higher shift points and running a 28" tire is the secret sauce. He is on 26" tires which aren't helping his gearing options. ;)

Link to a gear/tire spreadsheet to help those who are looking for the best/optimal performance for their combination.
Tire/gear spreadsheet

Now if you guys participated more on modularfords, you may have caught it over there. ;)

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Tire height!! People are forgetting that tire height plays the same role as gearing does. Like Mike mentioned, with his 3.31s and a 26" tire equals around 3.42 gears. Mike, stick with the 3.31s and shorter tires. As you get faster the gears will move the rpms towards peak. Shaun is using 3.55 with a taller tire and its basically what you have gearing wise.

The good thing on a taller tire, especially on a mt car is the ability to absorb the initial shock once the clutch is dropped. On the other hand, the bigger the tire the more rolling resistance it creates.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
also with adding a taller tire advantages is that you have a larger contact patch on the ground. The amount of rubber on the ground is greater with a taller tire. You also have a taller sidewall which helps absorb the shock load of a launch (saves rear ends). There is also more rubber on a taller tire. Larger curcumferance equals less rotations per mile equals longer tire life. At least for street use.

Disadvantages: It takes more power to turn a taller tire. 60 foot times will get slower. If the car is set up with the proper gears for 26" tires then 28" will slow you down.

The goal is to have the engine at red line in high gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. Usually the tallest tire you can squeeze inside the wheel wells is what you want. Then change the gearing at max out in the 1/4 mile.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
also with adding a taller tire advantages is that you have a larger contact patch on the ground. The amount of rubber on the ground is greater with a taller tire. You also have a taller sidewall which helps absorb the shock load of a launch (saves rear ends). There is also more rubber on a taller tire. Larger curcumferance equals less rotations per mile equals longer tire life. At least for street use.

Disadvantages: It takes more power to turn a taller tire. 60 foot times will get slower. If the car is set up with the proper gears for 26" tires then 28" will slow you down.

The goal is to have the engine at red line in high gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. Usually the tallest tire you can squeeze inside the wheel wells is what you want. Then change the gearing at max out in the 1/4 mile.

Great explanation Jay. Just noticed it after editing my post. :beer:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Great explanation Jay. Just noticed it after editing my post. :beer:

No problem :beer:

happened to go in reverse style, I went gear to tire. But ill say on the street i run a slightly taller tire in the rear and man i'll admit i have very little spin even standing still at idle, I also i run a wider tire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread