3.31 manual car goes 11's with AED tune and minimal mods

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
No problem :beer:

happened to go in reverse style, I went gear to tire. But ill say on the street i run a slightly taller tire in the rear and man i'll admit i have very little spin even standing still at idle, I also i run a wider tire

Mine is auto. Don't know what route I'm going to take. Thinking sc once the car is paid off in about 2 years. Prices are holding me back. Would love to stay n/a but that may require big stall. Positive displacement takes care of that. Decisions...decisions. I may install some 3.27s and play with the tire size.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Mine is auto. Don't know what route I'm going to take. Thinking sc once the car is paid off in about 2 years. Prices are holding me back. Would love to stay n/a but that may require big stall. Positive displacement takes care of that. Decisions...decisions. I may install some 3.27s and play with the tire size.

i do have some 3.31's for sale if youd like. Also i can get you a guy to install them CHEAP!

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
i do have some 3.31's for sale if youd like. Also i can get you a guy to install them CHEAP!

Jay,
Pm me price for the gears and info for the installer. You are in the Chicago area, correct? I'm 20 min away fron St Louis. I have mustang muscle relatively close to me but the want $320 with military discount to install. Let me know.
Thanks.
Epi

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats man. As I said before all you need is tires an shaun from AED tune an your good to go.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Mike, congrats. Do you know what the DA was?

295/45r17 drag radials and 3.73's and I don't hit redline before the stripe. Stock limiter.

Last edited:

kona12

Established Member
Dam thats a serious run there. very nice....keep it up..Cant wait to try some drag radials this summer..

malibu78

Established Member
I did it tonight. New drag tune from Shaun, cats deleted (but stock mufflers courtesy of Turbosixx). I went 11.96 @ 114.74. 60 Foot was a 1.67. I launched at 5,000 rpm on 26 inch M&H Racemasters. Started the night at 12.3, then 12.0 and finally cracked the 11's and called it a night.

I "think" I may have the quickest N/A 3.31 car out there. Not sure, but I am pumped! Stock airbox, stock intake, Pypes 3 inch X, Jeg's cat deletes, resonators deleted, UMI LCAs and brackets, M&H Racemasters on Race Stars and kickass tune by Shaun of AED.

Vid:

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 goes 11.96 @ 114.74 @ No Problem Raceway w/AED tune & 3.31 gears - YouTube

My goal is 11.5's on the 3.31s. I guess I need to shed weight.

11sPass.jpg

Mike

Congrats on the 11 second run. You said you made the run last night correct? You had awesome weather per weather underground. You guys near the ocean get to make all the good runs this time of year. :burnout: The DA was -256. You mix these conditions with great driving and you get that 11 second slip. I am hoping to get an 11 second slip this spring. Again, great driving and congrats

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
He is correct. The 3.90 with the Boss manifold, higher shift points and running a 28" tire is the secret sauce. He is on 26" tires which aren't helping his gearing options. ;)

Link to a gear/tire spreadsheet to help those who are looking for the best/optimal performance for their combination.
Tire/gear spreadsheet

Now if you guys participated more on modularfords, you may have caught it over there. ;)

I am running the 26 tire because I have the 3.31s. A set of 3.90s and a Boss intake would be nice, but I am not sure I need it for my goal...which is an 11.5.

Tire height!! People are forgetting that tire height plays the same role as gearing does. Like Mike mentioned, with his 3.31s and a 26" tire equals around 3.42 gears. Mike, stick with the 3.31s and shorter tires. As you get faster the gears will move the rpms towards peak. Shaun is using 3.55 with a taller tire and its basically what you have gearing wise.

The good thing on a taller tire, especially on a mt car is the ability to absorb the initial shock once the clutch is dropped. On the other hand, the bigger the tire the more rolling resistance it creates.

Precisely why I chose a 26.

also with adding a taller tire advantages is that you have a larger contact patch on the ground. The amount of rubber on the ground is greater with a taller tire. You also have a taller sidewall which helps absorb the shock load of a launch (saves rear ends). There is also more rubber on a taller tire. Larger curcumferance equals less rotations per mile equals longer tire life. At least for street use.

Disadvantages: It takes more power to turn a taller tire. 60 foot times will get slower. If the car is set up with the proper gears for 26" tires then 28" will slow you down.

The goal is to have the engine at red line in high gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. Usually the tallest tire you can squeeze inside the wheel wells is what you want. Then change the gearing at max out in the 1/4 mile.

Valid points.

Mike, congrats. Do you know what the DA was?

It was -228, I just calculated it.

If that chip wouldnt void my warranty, that would be my first mod!!!!!!!!!

It may void your warranty, but it is not going to be the cause of an engine failure. I have the utmost confidence in Shaun's tune and its safety.

Good run mike! I'm hoping to be slightly faster on 3.31s

What have you run so far? My goal is to make an 11.5 pass on these gears.

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
I did it tonight. New drag tune from Shaun, cats deleted (but stock mufflers courtesy of Turbosixx). I went 11.96 @ 114.74. 60 Foot was a 1.67. I launched at 5,000 rpm on 26 inch M&H Racemasters. Started the night at 12.3, then 12.0 and finally cracked the 11's and called it a night.

I "think" I may have the quickest N/A 3.31 car out there. Not sure, but I am pumped! Stock airbox, stock intake, Pypes 3 inch X, Jeg's cat deletes, resonators deleted, UMI LCAs and brackets, M&H Racemasters on Race Stars and kickass tune by Shaun of AED.

Vid:

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 goes 11.96 @ 114.74 @ No Problem Raceway w/AED tune & 3.31 gears - YouTube

My goal is 11.5's on the 3.31s. I guess I need to shed weight.

11sPass.jpg

Mike
Wow dude.. i remember we were guesstimating how we would do with those 26 racemasters ... I can't wait to throw mines in and go try...
I think the 26" DRs on these 3.31 gears are going to be a trend lol
Congrats man and I can't wait to hit the track to see if I can get close to your ET..
So 5k rpms seems to be a good RPM to launch those tires with that gear eh..? I'm going to try to copy you to see what i can do lol
I had a new tune that Shaun sent me on Sunday. New drag tune.

Thanks for all of the kudos, guys...I am really pumped.

Now, do I keep plugging with these 3.31s, or finally give it up and go 3.55.? With the 26 inch tires I am at around 3.42 in terms of gear. I really don't see the 3.55s doing much...but you never know.

Mike
keep the 3.31s bro
Tire height!! People are forgetting that tire height plays the same role as gearing does. Like Mike mentioned, with his 3.31s and a 26" tire equals around 3.42 gears. Mike, stick with the 3.31s and shorter tires. As you get faster the gears will move the rpms towards peak. Shaun is using 3.55 with a taller tire and its basically what you have gearing wise.

The good thing on a taller tire, especially on a mt car is the ability to absorb the initial shock once the clutch is dropped. On the other hand, the bigger the tire the more rolling resistance it creates.
x2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread