2025 RAM 1500 | MotorWeek First Drive - No More HEMI V8

andymarkv

Established Member
Isn’t this the hurricane motor that is supposed to be in the 2025 TRX?
There is a rumor of a variant of this engine in a "TRX" but I assume it would have a significant power increase over the HO 3.0 available in other top trim trucks.

This test mule started the rumor. You can hear it at the 27 second mark. Sounds a little Supra'ish....?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
There is a rumor of a variant of this engine in a "TRX" but I assume it would have a significant power increase over the HO 3.0 available in other top trim trucks.

This test mule started the rumor. You can hear it at the 27 second mark. Sounds a little Supra'ish....?

Probably won't see much more than ~550hp out of 3L, unless they have room to punch it out.

tistan

Established Member
Replace a good old v8 that will go 200k miles with general maintenance with a turbo motor that will need major work starting around 100k miles or less. The service departments have to be loving that. Even Toyota couldn't make their turbo motor reliable.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Im not up to date on TRX powertrain rumors, but yes they are calling that motor the hurricane.

I want to drive one.
We have a Hurricane in our Jeep Wagoneer. It is a fantastic motor. Great torque and power through the entire range. We have the 425 hp version but it is plenty for the Wagoneer. They make a “hotter” version with 500hp As well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Replace a good old v8 that will go 200k miles with general maintenance with a turbo motor that will need major work starting around 100k miles or less. The service departments have to be loving that. Even Toyota couldn't make their turbo motor reliable.
Good points but I’d guess they were forced to abandon the Hemi due to EPA/CAFE regulations.
I’d still take an I6 TT over the V6 so it’s not a terrible way to keep ICE in a volume truck.
Will be interesting to see how it does with mpg and reliability.
-J

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
The numbers on this thing soften the blow imo, will always enjoy v8 sound however. It'll hafta be a homerun in the reliability department to win people like me over (I'm looking at you, ecoboost)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I watched the engine test vid above. This thing sounds like a Mercury Tower of Power outboard, which is not a bad thing. Based on the diagram at the end of the vid, it looks like the HO version ditches the EGR system. That def makes that one the version to have. Hopefully it will be widely available throughout the range.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The numbers on this thing soften the blow imo, will always enjoy v8 sound however. It'll hafta be a homerun in the reliability department to win people like me over (I'm looking at you, ecoboost)

I am glad that I picked a 6.2 chevy over the 3.5 eb. Everytime I hear one of these it confirms the decision.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
How much money will Daimler, or Fiat or whoever the **** owns dodge and ram decide to lose before they bring back the V8? 2 billion? 3 billion? 5 billion? The hemi is the biggest reason people buy that junk, it would be the same if Nike decided to not make the air Jordan brand in 2025. The loss to the company is going to be epic.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
How much money will Daimler, or Fiat or whoever the **** owns dodge and ram decide to lose before they bring back the V8? 2 billion? 3 billion? 5 billion? The hemi is the biggest reason people buy that junk, it would be the same if Nike decided to not make the air Jordan brand in 2025. The loss to the company is going to be epic.

Emissions killed it and they aren't rolling back.

kaz109

Established Member
Before I bought my Raptor I was going for a Ram rebel…. NO thanks . That 5.7 was gutless and the they don’t even offer the 6.4 …… not sorry it’s gone at all. I’d take the hurricane over the Hemi any day of the week

Users who are viewing this thread