2025 RAM 1500 | MotorWeek First Drive - No More HEMI V8

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No surprise the Standard 3.0 hits 420-468. That's 6.2L Chevy power numbers. Probably did that to "win" the power numbers between the big 3, minus the top trims from Ford that has the H.O. 3.5 and then they blow that away with the 540-521 HO 3.0

Stinks these days they leave the top engine to the trucks with MSRPs starting at 80-90k+

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
No surprise the Standard 3.0 hits 420-468. That's 6.2L Chevy power numbers. Probably did that to "win" the power numbers between the big 3, minus the top trims from Ford that has the H.O. 3.5 and then they blow that away with the 540-521 HO 3.0

Stinks these days they leave the top engine to the trucks with MSRPs starting at 80-90k+

Better use some good oil.

Crazy to think how a base model cost over 40k these days

Yep. $25,000 full size work trucks are a thing of the past. Makes me feel old that I remember you could buy a stripped out Ranger for less than $10,000.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ohhhh, the Tungsten H.O. ooo la la !

Yikes! Still, if it's the last pure gasser I can buy. 2028 not that far away, wonder what the price will be then!

1708694399924.png

andymarkv

Established Member
I'm excited about the power increase, but as expected, the sound will be disappointing...
It will be interesting see what the "improved mpg" is.
Fords ecoboost motors claimed the same thing 13 years ago...but the mpg improvement wasn't very dramatic, although probably good enough to move the needle for CAFE ratings which was the desired effect.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Yep. $25,000 full size work trucks are a thing of the past. Makes me feel old that I remember you could buy a stripped out Ranger for less than $10,000.

Between Amsoil and 3k oil changes, I would be ok if I wanted another Ram.
But not at that price point even with the usual discounts Ram offers.

I'm excited about the power increase, but as expected, the sound will be disappointing...
Fords ecoboost motors claimed the same thing 13 years ago...but the mpg improvement wasn't very dramatic, although probably good enough to move the needle for CAFE ratings which was the desired effect.

Yea, I doubt it's that much better. IIRC before I left a wagoneer forum they were the first to get the 3.0 engines and there wasn't much of an improvement over the 5.7/6.4 engines. Of course we are talking about under 1 year of driving, so who knows if the economy improved after XXXX miles.

And with Dodge/Ram/whoever owns them now it's been a PITA to unlock the ECM for a while now-unless that's recently changed. So tuning the truck will cost a pretty penny and who knows where the weak points are power wise.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member

Same here... I used to get the bug to buy something new every few years but with prices these days, I simply can't afford it so it's not even a consideration. And I'm not mad about it.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

You couldn't even get the 6.4 in a half ton.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You couldn't even get the 6.4 in a half ton.

That was the biggest disappointment I had in Fiat/Ram.

They had the 6.4 in the Jeep/Durango/Grand Wagoneer/Minivan-probably but left the 1500 with the 3.6 and 5.7L, excluding the TRX. Missed opportunity to tap the market of people who just want a fast truck without all that offroad suspension.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I think a straight 6 will allow for better sounding exhaust note. V6 all sound like fart cans.

TORQUERULES

Established Member

Yep. $25,000 full size work trucks are a thing of the past. Makes me feel old that I remember you could buy a stripped out Ranger for less than $10,00
Yep, I also have read that the HO is hitting 26-29 psi of peak boost to get those numbers, so.... Hope it is built to last. Tuning should be interesting if it can be done. At least and inline is stronger in the bottom end.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yep, I also have read that the HO is hitting 26-29 psi of peak boost to get those numbers, so.... Hope it is built to last. Tuning should be interesting if it can be done. At least and inline is stronger in the bottom end.

As an M4 owner, they have a lot more room under that hood than mine to get done with reliability.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You can spec the H.O in the limited, but specced out, only $6,000 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread