2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
except thats not true because the Camaro was faster around the road course?

more fake news here?

In the technical section the 350R actually caught and passed the ZL1 in the video.

I'm not sure why everyone gets so caught up on lap times. Most drivers in the ZL1 would get beat pretty easily by a pro in a track pack GT350. When you're out on track there is a lot of value to a car that is fun to drive. Which I guarantee the ZL1 is an absolute riot, but in the company of the 350R, it takes some of the steam from it.

This is absolutely one of those scenarios where you can't buy the wrong car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Theres a guy on youtube (trackdayfun) that has a lot of videos in sonoma, laguna, buttonwillow, thunderhill. I think he owns a regular cayman or a GT4. He drove other cars too and said that driving the GT350R is harder to extract the performance (10/10 driving almost semi pro level). The GT4 on the other hand was easiler to run low lap times. The GT4 weighs under 3000lbs and only has 385hp.

The point is, not many people in this thread have a clue how the road course works. Lol, this is SVTP after all. High hp doesnt mean shit. Thats why a c7z with 650hp is clocking the same times as a 500hp GT3 RS @ Laguna seca 1:33.

Both cars are great, the ZL1 is the best all around car. I would consider it if i wanted 4 seats not in a sedan. The GT350R would be great too, just not the shitty adm.

Oh yea, this test doesnt mean shit because 99% of the encounters will be on the street and highway.
There, got that out of the way.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm surprised the GT350R did as well as it did with much less power on tap.

The ZL1 1LE is going to be an absolute monster and I love the fact that you could actually buy one without getting sodomized by the dealer network. I love my GT350 but I have mucho respect for the work GM has done with the latest Camaro. Hats off to GM. Hopefully Ford responds in kind - quickly!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The cornering speed of the GT350R and ZL1 were almost even throughout the test. The ZL1 was a bit faster in the straights. I was surprised the delta in lap times wasn't greater. The ZL1's performance is impressive but I still wouldn't buy one over the GT350R. It just looks so bland to me. I remember walking right past it at a car show.

chris_302

Established Member
Theres a guy on youtube (trackdayfun) that has a lot of videos in sonoma, laguna, buttonwillow, thunderhill. I think he owns a regular cayman or a GT4. He drove other cars too and said that driving the GT350R is harder to extract the performance (10/10 driving almost semi pro level). The GT4 on the other hand was easiler to run low lap times. The GT4 weighs under 3000lbs and only has 385hp.

The point is, not many people in this thread have a clue how the road course works. Lol, this is SVTP after all. High hp doesnt mean shit. Thats why a c7z with 650hp is clocking the same times as a 500hp GT3 RS @ Laguna seca 1:33.

Both cars are great, the ZL1 is the best all around car. I would consider it if i wanted 4 seats not in a sedan. The GT350R would be great too, just not the shitty adm.

Oh yea, this test doesnt mean shit because 99% of the encounters will be on the street and highway.
There, got that out of the way.

Agreed, both are great cars, all comes down to the driver IMHO.
Let's not forget when the B302 beat the new camaro gt4 at the PWC. ;)

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
it sure as hell isnt fords fault. .39 seconds is the difference of a few pounds in a car like this. The zl1 has always been and will always be a joke period. If you disagree then go get one and come race my gt350r. And I will make you look like a bitch. Sorry forgot to mention. My r car makes 771 to the tire. So it should be more fare that way. Now. I can't argue that these new factory cars are great. But really people today can't drive one right which is about 95% of people have no clue how to then it really doesn't matter. And finally. The gt500 will be at least 30% better than the 350r plus the extra power. So good luck chevy. You guys always blow your load early. And even when you do you can barely compete with fords old news.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
Now for those that I offended. I will say this. Chevy as a corporation has it figured out. Ford on the other hand they are pissing me off. $90000 for a gt350r Is a joke in its own right. So I have to give credit to GM for keeping the dealers from screwing the end customer by keeping the dealers honest with the final sale price.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
The zl1 1le will be great but the new gt500 will still be close. So it will come down to who wants to mod the shit out of them to be faster. I really don't understand why we get so caught up comparing these factory cars when we all know the aftermarket will decide who the real bad boy is. And guess what. Chevy has never taken that crown.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Now for those that I offended. I will say this. Chevy as a corporation has it figured out. Ford on the other hand they are pissing me off. $90000 for a gt350r Is a joke in its own right. So I have to give credit to GM for keeping the dealers from screwing the end customer by keeping the dealers honest with the final sale price.

Gm has figured nothing out except how to devalue a vehicle.

Though it would be nice for ford to make more than 1K of their top mustang.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
I don't understand. Your statement. Please explain why it would be nice for ford to make more than 1k on the top mustang.

Ford does just fine on all platforms. It's the dealership level that is corrupt. And all these cars are still over priced. I can build a fox body for close $25k that will destroy all the cars we are talking about in every test you come up with.

The prices are getting out of hand. And GM noticed. That why they sell more of there shit than ford does. If anything they learned how to not cheat the public and sell there cars for what they are worth. Notice they don't depreciate like a ford does. Ford is still playing games and honoslty there vehicles suck. I bought a 2017 f250 power stroke back in November and I've had it in to service twice for transmission failures. And 3 times for steering column and alignment issues. Plus the truck makes more interior noise than my 1997 f350. I have been very disappointed with ford lately. All that said. I will never own a chevy. I would kill myself first.

Last edited:

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
Just for the record. I'm not tying to start a fight here and as soon as you guys get your feelings hurt. I will bow out since most of you will. And I don't have time to argue with children. If you have something to say. Something legit something you can back up then you can comment.

blk02edge

Established Member
Just for the record. I'm not tying to start a fight here and as soon as you guys get your feelings hurt. I will bow out since most of you will. And I don't have time to argue with children. If you have something to say. Something legit something you can back up then you can comment.
Man you are funny

kaz109

Established Member
Since when does going faster equal a lacking "driving experience?"

Lol

Fake news. Are you a secret CNN anchor?

Yes, I guess I do have a hard time understanding how shittyer performance is winning. Call me dense.

Having posted this I hope you don't consider yourself a car enthusiasts. Dense is not the word I would call you, Naive is better suited

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Having posted this I hope you don't consider yourself a car enthusiasts. Dense is not the word I would call you, Naive is better suited

Dense works fine. Never did consider myself the polished, proper type.

I'm a brute force kinda guy.

I'll take the faster car, thanks.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If Ford made more than 1k units of the 350R the adm would not be as high. Plus their top mustang would be in more hands of those that would drive them instead of being parked in hopes they go up in value.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
I'm curious to see how much the new trans will make a difference in the R. It may not be as fun but I bet it helps with lap times unless it weighs a shit ton more. What I don't understand is why everyone these days wants the flavor of the week"per say" car? The 350/R isn't exactly in its first year run so it would be expected that the ZL1 best it. The fact that the R hung tough(yes I know it won on the comparo one thread was about, theres been so many it's hard to keep track but was a little slower around the track and of course it was in straight line speed) so it may be the slower car but for it to hang tough says a lot about how good it is(both cars for that matter). These companies go back and forth as to has the best for a year or two then the others bring out something to best it, just how it works and it helps us as consumers. I will say me personally I prefer the R based on looks alone, the sound doesn't hurt either. I actually prefer the regular SS camaro to the ZL1 in terms of looks but that's just an opinion. Both are awesome cars, even the GT350 is an awesome car. A lot of the ADM stuff are greedy ass dealers with idiots paying it, can't say I wouldn't make an extra 20 grand if I could in an instant but I believe there should be a point as to how far they can actually go with the ADM. Either way, e keep up the good work Big 3, we all get the benefits, even if a lot of us have to wait till the used market gets saturated. I'll be curious to see the price of a similar mileage/optioned R vs a ZL1 in 5 years.

Also since someone posted a pic of a Boss 302, I just want to add my tid bit that I believe it was one of the most under appreciated mustangs they came out with, kind of how the Mach 1 got lost in all of the 03-04 Cobras glory. Again these are just my opinions.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Im glad GM has figured it out, they should after tbe Govt has bailed them out.
With that said, Im not a Chevy guy obviously but do give them credit. This new Camaro is very nice. I would still take the GT350 because nose to nose, the 350 is a much prettier car.

Cant go wrong with either.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
I'm not going to go into all the details. But all you need to know is. Ford DID take money from the government in the total of 5.9 billion. And yes that was to avoid bankruptcy. However they used the money to re tool and begin making better cars meaning more efficient and better for good ol Mother Nature. Now since 2009 they have repaid all of that money. Unlike GM they still owe over 10 billion from the 68 billion they borrowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread