2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I did post the ZL1 1LE video where he said it's not meant to be a daily driver. I don't believe the ZL1 does "everything" well. If I had to make a long road trip, the ZL1 wouldn't be at the top of the list of cars I'd want to do it in. "GT car" or not, it's still slanted more toward the track than the street. I'm not falling for the GT car excuse.

Motor Trend's Head 2 Head results don't take anything away from the ZL1. It's still an incredible car! It just means the GT350R is that good. Now imagine what the next GT500 will be like. It's not gonna be pretty for the ZL1, 1LE version or not.

They did mention in the video that the suspension does "pogo"

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You sound like a sore loser and extremely butthurt. Excuses after excuses

Not sure WTF you're on about. In case you [obviously] haven't been following the conversation, the GT350R won. So why should I be butt hurt? I like BOTH cars.

Back to everybody else in the discussion, somebody was generous and let me watch the video on their dime. Much appreciated!! I agree with everything they said about the R. It does feel more frantic and "on" all the time, even when you're just puttering about. Also, like they noticed, even though it can rev to 8250, it seems to take forever to get there. My GT500 [now with lightweight pulleys, flywheel, and clutch] revs faster. You wouldn't think some pulleys would make such a difference. That's not to say the Voodoo revs slowly. It just doesn't get up to that 8250 as fast as you'd think. The first 5000 revs disappear like nothing. That last 3250 just seems to drag on and on. Some shorter gearing would remedy that.

On to the video, it was just as I've expected all along. The ZL1 obviously accelerated faster, but the R was able to carry more speed into and through the turns, and it was able to get back on the power sooner.

You can't go wrong with either car. It's just personal preference.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Yes it did win, based upon 100% subjective data and opinions. What performance metrics did the R win? People are going to buy what they want but I will buy the car that does everything better performance wise as they are performance cars after all.

It reminds me of the ZL1 vs GT500 comparison in late 2012 when the ZL1 won the comparison but got beat in every performance metric but lap time on a certain track they chose to test on and everyone on here cried BS.

NWGT500

HR213
Established Member

From what I have found the deals are on 16 non track pack cars which most do not want. Used 16 (non track pack cars) are coming up in the 40's. Local dealer had over 12 last year including a new 16 yellow w/black stripe with track pack that started at 70k and finally sold last week under MSRP at 56k. I'm guessing due to color as all others sold pretty quick over MSRP.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Only in Ford world will the slower car "beat" the faster car.

ZL1 beats the 350R on the road course and the ford fanboys loose their mind and claim "victory"...

Just wait till GMs actual track car (zl1 1le) hits the track and the fanboys will be driving up the suicide rate.

Lmaooooooo

The 350R is a better driving car and still gets higher marks that $150k vehicles and yet the new so called faster zl1 still can't touch it.

x1000

zl1 is "only" .xxx faster so it loses.

what a joke.

the 1le is going to murder the gt350r... for half the price.

63.xxk vs 69.99k which car is less expensive?

Who's fault is that?

Cause it sure as hell aint GMs... lol

For a car that is supposedly a track car why in the hell would you want a blower? That is GMs fault!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
63.xxk vs 69.99k which car is less expensive?

youre a smart man. this isnt a serious question, is it?

Ford's ultra rare, limited production, $90K, MSRP mark up, more expensive, track specialized car goes up against a cheaper, regular ZL1, only to lose and put out the SLOWER time and people call that a win???

bingo.

ZL1 1LE cars will be sold under MSRP long before Santa comes again.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yes it did win, based upon 100% subjective data and opinions. What performance metrics did the R win? People are going to buy what they want but I will buy the car that does everything better performance wise as they are performance cars after all.

Good for you, dude. You're not the only person in the world that prefers straight lines. People that prefer a driver's car will like the R more. The R is a better driver's car and performs better on the curves. So, other than straight line acceleration, the ZL1 is actually not the better performer.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The R is a better driver's car and performs better on the curves. So, other than straight line acceleration, the ZL1 is actually not the better performer.

except thats not true because the Camaro was faster around the road course?

more fake news here?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Because the driving experience is lacking....Is it that hard to understand?

Since when does going faster equal a lacking "driving experience?"

Lol

Fake news. Are you a secret CNN anchor?

Yes, I guess I do have a hard time understanding how shittyer performance is winning. Call me dense.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I have seen no zl1 reviews where they compare it to the cars I mention above or similar.

Performance and driver feel are two different data points. 1k horsepower el Camino will not drive as well as a 993 even though the el Camino may be faster.

blk02edge

Established Member

Lol

Yes, I guess I do have a hard time understanding how shittyer performance is winning. Call me dense.
some really fast cars have been deemed to lack driving experience, most notably the GTR. I'm not trying to get involved in this stupid pissing match with the regular clowns who are both arguing the same thing they always do but oppositely this time, just trying to point out that one fact.

What's really funny is some of you act like you are shopping for whatever car is .69sec faster with pros driving. Lol

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Not trying to be adverse but the contest had the chev winning?

I haven't seen the vid so maybe I'm understating it wrong.

The R was declared the overall winner in both tests. All the reviewers in these two videos felt it was the better driver's car. When you have the GT350R being mentioned in the same conversations as GT3s, 458s, GT4s, etc., the driving experience is stacked against the ZL1. According to Motor Trend, compared to the R, the ZL1 felt lazy and cumbersome. The ZL1 is 200 lbs heavier than the R, but they said it feels like it's 1,000 lbs heavier. Personally, I attribute that feeling to the wheels. Some lightweight wheels on the ZL1 would completely change that.

Lol

That happens all the time. Look at the S197 Mustang GT compared to the E90/92 M3. The GT is just as fast as, and sometimes faster than, the M3 around most tracks. However, which one would you (or most people) rather be driving?

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
some really fast cars have been deemed to lack driving experience, most notably the GTR. I'm not trying to get involved in this stupid pissing match with the regular clowns who are both arguing the same thing they always do but oppositely this time, just trying to point out that one fact.

What's really funny is some of you act like you are shopping for whatever car is .69sec faster with pros driving. Lol

I have to agree with this. Both cars are monsters and would love to have either one of them. I can't wait to see the ZL1 1LE vid that we commoners have to wait a month for with MotorTrend. With that being said, I have to admit I'm a bit surprised how well the GT350 did against the beastly ZL1. I was expecting a bigger gap between the two given the GT350's HP disadvantage. I have no doubt the 1LE is going to extend it's lead time considerably over what has been seen here with the "regular" ZL1.

But with all things consider, you have to admit Ford did a great job with the setup with the GT350 for it to go up against such a heavy wait and lose by such a close margin. I'm no brand loyalist, in which I appreciate all fast cars. But lets face it, if the roles were reversed, the Chevy die hard fans would be doing the exact same thing the Ford die hard fans are doing here. I.E. forced induction vs. naturally aspirated, engine size, trim level....yada, yada, yada. I say this because I think some of us remember the reception the 03/04 Cobras got when they came out. I still remember the arguments as if it were yesterday. All the blower vs. naturally aspirated complaints popped up everywhere.

It's all relative. We all just need to enjoy this time because I'm sure it is going to be remembered as one of the greatest times to be a car guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread