2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The ZL1 1LE is marketed as a track car. That comparison should be interesting as the excuses will fly from the other side then when several seconds are put on the R at any track.

Umm... No. The 1LE doesn't have any more power than the ZL1 and is only 60 pounds lighter. So how do you think it's going to magically be able to gain several seconds above what the ZL1 did? The results probably won't be much different than these. If they do another head-to-head with the 1LE and the R, they need to use a base R without the Electronics Pack. The performance delta will probably be identical.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Umm... No. The 1LE doesn't have any more power than the ZL1 and is only 60 pounds lighter. So how do you think it's going to magically be able to gain several seconds above what the ZL1 did? The results probably won't be much different than these. If they do another head-to-head with the 1LE and the R, they need to use a base R without the Electronics Pack. The performance delta will probably be identical.
I have a feeling it's going to be fast lol.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
"350R won cause its more "fun"".....

Ahahahahahahahah

Ford's ultra rare, limited production, $90K, MSRP mark up, more expensive, track specialized car goes up against a cheaper, regular ZL1, only to lose and put out the SLOWER time and people call that a win???

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well, on the flip side the R is down 124HP and 221 lbs-ft of torque. So the ZL1 eking out a 0.39 second faster time around a track isn't really brag-worthy.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
You're kidding right? Let's see bigger and far superior tires, better suspension and far more aero. Already 3 seconds faster around GM's proving grounds than the standard ZL1

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Oh lord! Lmao....

I dont know, how about superior suspension/aero with better tires to match the ones on the 350R.

Your feels will hurt...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Well, on the flip side the R is down 124HP and 221 lbs-ft of torque. So the ZL1 eking out a 0.39 second faster time around a track isn't really brag-worthy.

It's not going to be that fast.

Show us on the doll where the ZL1 touched you :D

Oh lord! Lmao....

I dont know, how about superior suspension/aero with better tires to match the ones on the 350R.

Your feels will hurt...

Yep, the car is going to definitely hurt some feelings.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Notice how none of them mentions how the R had the far superior tires, meanwhile back at the farm, they all crying about the supercharger/extra ponies.

Lmao.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Oh lord! Lmao....

Your feels will hurt...

It's not gonna hurt my feelings. Why? Because +124HP/+221TRQ. And the 1LE is still going to punish its tires just like the standard ZL1.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm having disturbingly vivid flashbacks of ZL1/GT500 reviews, and the debates that followed.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Only in Ford world will the slower car "beat" the faster car.

ZL1 beats the 350R on the road course and the ford fanboys loose their mind and claim "victory"...

Just wait till GMs actual track car (zl1 1le) hits the track and the fanboys will be driving up the suicide rate.

Lmaooooooo

Well doesn't Motor Trend place the "winner" based on Multiple criteria? I can't remember who used to do it but they would base the winner off of a point system and even though B car was faster A car would be the winner because it won in other categories. I can see their point for sure, because there are a lot of factors to the cars,........but it is something I can understand people would have a problem with. I agree though, no matter how close the numbers, the ZL1 still won.

Back in my younger days I was all about speed/HP only. Now I look at the whole thing HP, fun factor, price, comfort.... Yada, yada, yada.

EDIT: That Head to Head show may have been the one that judges that way....

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The R is a track weapon... The ZL1 is not.... So in the ZL1 you can drag race with Hellcats and roadrace with GT350Rs... That's one amazing combo!!!
Hats off to GM!!!

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I wouldn't say that. The ZL1 is a helluva track car! The Camaro boys are trying to downplay it now and say it's "a GT car".
Bruh, GM said that trust me. Not Camaro ****. I'm a pony car fan first and foremost, grew up around them as I was raised with classics. The new ZL1 does EVERYTHING well and that was its point. If you want, I'll link some Al O interviews where he explicitly states this. Also states the ZL1 1LE is not a good DD compared to the standard ZL1 and the 1LE won't be for everyone for this reason. I believe you even posted a video where he stated it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I wouldn't say that. The ZL1 is a helluva track car! The Camaro boys are trying to downplay it now and say it's "a GT car".
You missed my point... The ZL1 is not the track ready top dog Camaro... The ZL1 1LE is. Much the way the GT350R is to the regular GT350....
So it's only going to get worse for the GT350R with the 1LE version....

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Bruh, GM said that trust me. Not Camaro ****. I'm a pony car fan first and foremost, grew up around them as I was raised with classics. The new ZL1 does EVERYTHING well and that was its point. If you want, I'll link some Al O interviews where he explicitly states this. Also states the ZL1 1LE is not a good DD compared to the standard ZL1 and the 1LE won't be for everyone for this reason. I believe you even posted a video where he stated it.

I did post the ZL1 1LE video where he said it's not meant to be a daily driver. I don't believe the ZL1 does "everything" well. If I had to make a long road trip, the ZL1 wouldn't be at the top of the list of cars I'd want to do it in. "GT car" or not, it's still slanted more toward the track than the street. I'm not falling for the GT car excuse.

Motor Trend's Head 2 Head results don't take anything away from the ZL1. It's still an incredible car! It just means the GT350R is that good. Now imagine what the next GT500 will be like. It's not gonna be pretty for the ZL1, 1LE version or not.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You missed my point... The ZL1 is not the track ready top dog Camaro... The ZL1 1LE is. Much the way the GT350R is to the regular GT350....
So it's only going to get worse for the GT350R with the 1LE version....

I got your point. What I'm saying is people are now trying to act like the ZL1 is some run-of-the-mill street car. It's not. Also, if we're all honest about it, everybody knows the GT350R and ZL1 are not direct competitors. The ZL1 is winning in the void left by the GT500.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I did post the ZL1 1LE video where he said it's not meant to be a daily driver. I don't believe the ZL1 does "everything" well. If I had to make a long road trip, the ZL1 wouldn't be at the top of the list of cars I'd want to do it in. "GT car" or not, it's still slanted more toward the track than the street. I'm not falling for the GT car excuse.

Motor Trend's Head 2 Head results don't take anything away from the ZL1. It's still an incredible car! It just means the GT350R is that good. Now imagine what the next GT500 will be like. It's not gonna be pretty for the ZL1, 1LE version or not.[/QUOTE

You sound like a sore loser and extremely butthurt. Excuses after excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread