2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R vs. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectreman

Established Member
My first 'muscle' car was a '78 Z28; at that time, I thought that car was a rocket ship & I was a confirmed Camaro guy...

Until I bought my '88 LX 5.0 & I've been a Stang guy ever since.

But I gotta say, I'm duly impressed w/both Ford's & Chevy's efforts over the last few years. To me tho, the ZL1 & 1LE & GT350R are a bit overdone for street use. I'm thinking I'd like to see a comparo between the SS 1LE and the soon to come '18 GT w/direct injection and the magnetized shocks. Both of these cars are far more practical use for day to day driving, which is what I use my GT500 for.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Thanks. I was already aware of the tire. To me, the most aggressive tire is the MPSC 2. It looks most like a slick and it is the only one that cannot be driven in the rain (per manufacturer). At the end of the day thought, each manufacturer had their pick. It is what it is.

IMG_8552.JPG

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Anyone know how true the comments are about the MPSC2's being good for one hero lap and then tapering off drastically is?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Thanks. I was already aware of the tire. To me, the most aggressive tire is the MPSC 2. It looks most like a slick and it is the only one that cannot be driven in the rain (per manufacturer). At the end of the day thought, each manufacturer had their pick. It is what it is.
View attachment 94017

Look does not tell the full story. Time and time again I've told you that Goodyear created the G3 as competition for the cup 2 and R3 for the Trofeo R.
The thread I posted back up how the R3 is the competitor for the Trofeo and is faster than the Cup 2. Once more Wise did not dispute this.

Anyone know how true the comments are about the MPSC2's being good for one hero lap and then tapering off drastically is?

I have not heard that before. What I know.
Z06 with cup 2 get nearly identical 60ft times with these tires as DR's.
The Trofeo is 2 seconds a lap faster on a 2 min track. I've heard this from 2 other amateur testing both tires as well. Some say because the cup 2 tested was worn in one test.
Randy was not convinced the GT350R had Cup 2 on it at the big willow test vs the zl1. It turned out the cup 2 were worn. Interesting to note they did not mention anything about the zl1 tires despite it being off a previous time.

Based on the bottom two. It could be some truth. I think it's more gm pissed off michelin said no.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't need you to tell me anything ON D, I am informed about the tires.

I can't trust your data or opinions, you are very anti GM and biased towards Ford.

Sorry man.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't need you to tell me anything ON D, I am informed about the tires.

I can't trust your data or opinions, you are very anti GM and biased towards Ford.

Sorry man.

Considering others are stating that the new R3 are stickier and faster than the Trofeo R which are faster than the cup 2's.
You are misleading the readers of this forum by saying the R3 are slower than the cup 2. But I digress.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the Tropheo R and Cup 2s to be every bit competitive. I believe the 3Rs are 95% as good as the above two.

Thats what I gather from my reading.

You are welcome to think otherwise.

At the end of the day I love BOTH Ford and GM. I know where you stand with that.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It's all good. From my reading the and from the experiences of those on track say the Trofeo R are faster than the Cup 2 and these R3 are stickier than the Trofeo R's. Whatever that means.

It's also interesting that for a track car the zle can not last more than 5 laps on a tough 3 mile track.
"It was the brakes—the iron-rotor units carry over from the regular ZL1 except for the ABS calibration—rather than spent tires that prevented us from turning more than five hot laps at a time; the pedal gets a little long on the fifth lap."
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le-first-drive-review

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... It looks most like a slick and it is the only one that cannot be driven in the rain (per manufacturer). ...

I got caught in a downpour on the highway in my R one time. I was worried what the tires would do. Not once did they hydroplane, fishtail, or do anything untoward. I dropped my speed down to 60MPH. Driven responsibly, there's no issue with the MPSC2 in the wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread