2015 Mustang to gain 300lbs.!?!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Or just stick with the current 6-speed auto and add a sequential manual transmission to the lineup, and I'll really be impressed.

Voltwings

Established Member
Why in the world would this car need / you want an 8 speed auto... The current auto is awesome, and damn near bullet proof, theres no sense in having that many gears.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
Yea, I agree. Why would anybody need so many gears in a trans ? Most driving is probably done in town and all those gears would most likely not even be used at the speed seen in town. Once a person is on an interstate, the trans would most likely remain in a higher gear unless a lot of hills were encountered. I just do not see a lot of fuel saving because of having all those gears in a trans. I would like to see data that show under what conditions fuel is saved by all those additional gears.

Voltwings

Established Member
I was under the impression many gears were used to keep a small engine in its power band. Thats why Ford and Chevy made a joint venture on their 10 speed auto that will be paired to tiny 1.4 - 1.6L engines so they dont completely suck as cars. Granted, i suppose the same logic could be applied to fuel savings.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I was under the impression many gears were used to keep a small engine in its power band. Thats why Ford and Chevy made a joint venture on their 10 speed auto that will be paired to tiny 1.4 - 1.6L engines so they dont completely suck as cars. Granted, i suppose the same logic could be applied to fuel savings.
More gears allow better acceleration due to better torque multiplication through the gears. Also allows better gas mileage with better gear selection through a variety of speeds.

I still think a CVT will be the way to go if they can ever be made strong and efficient enough.

grnenvy

Established Member
Sorry guys I didn't mean to say 8 speed trans. lol
As for bashing the new Mustang not me are u crazy I have owned every year ever made. I will say this u can't expect the Mustang to go around the corners like a purpose built car like the Vette, Ferreri, GTR. Ford does a great job reusing and working with what they have. The Mustang has a big advantage its got a back seat hmm or disadvantage.
As for being heavy it doesn't stop my 4K plus Conv from running 9s.

BMR Tech

^ And if it was 500lbs lighter, it wouldnt be such a badass car.

His car is over 4K lbs....on 20's...has a top he can lower for the Florida Sun....big ass brakes....and mostly stock suspension. Drives like stock, and lays down ET's WELL into the 9's....

I see Bob's point 100%. 150% actually, as I am the same way.....BUT, I don't want an N/A High Revving, tall geared, lightweight race car with the S550. I want a luxobarge with a ton of power. One reason I take Bob's opinion with a grain of salt, is, because I don't think the extra 100lbs is going to affect "parts" durability and performance for me, as it would with him racing the car "his way". A manual trans car on a tire, is going to break stuff - regardless of any other details.

My car will lose 100lbs immediately (imagine that!) - and get a poweradder, and wheels/tires. It will be an auto. I bet I dont break anything before I get to the 9's with all of the OEM stuff.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
...BUT, I don't want an N/A High Revving, tall geared, lightweight race car with the S550. I want a luxobarge with a ton of power. ...

BMW M6. Since when is a Mustang supposed to be a luxo-barge?

Voltwings

Established Member
I think he means as opposed to something bare bones. He'll take his cake (creature comforts) and eat it too.

BMR Tech

LOL - 4200lbs and <600 flywheel HP.....$100+K? No thanks. I am not saying it is not worth the money, but it is not my cup of tea - at all.

I am thinking more along the lines of a new S550, with 750-800rwhp through an auto....and weight removal that will not sacrifice looks, ride quality and interior features/comforts. I have changed my outlook on this hobby, and cars in general, over the years. I call it automaturing. This will be the first car (Mustang) that I will acquire, and NOT remove the front sway bar...install a rod-end suspension....gut it.....and remove creature comforts from. I want to buy it, throw a poweradder on it, some small suspension tweaks and some nice tires, and go fast. Back in the day, when I did this to my 1999 "PI" 2V...it got me into the high 11's before making it a race car. How times have changed. OH- and that car only weighed 3400 with me in it, with a Centrifugal SC. Power > Weight. ;)

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
To each his/her own my friend. Neither of us is right or wrong....just different opinions. And that's ok.... :)

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
At least it finally has IRS...

LOL so true, they took the irs away to save weight and then they added it back in and its heavier LOL duh... but seriously Ford should have never went back to the IRS. They are behind in the suspension game imo, motors are impressive though.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Mustang never really 'had' an IRS - at least not designed with the car. The 99/01 & 03/04 Cobra's had a bolt-in IRS that was engineered around the existing chassis that was designed only for a live axle (in other words, a band-aid). The 2015 will be the first Mustang purposely designed with the IRS (and available in more than just an SVT version).

BMR Tech

^ Correct.

Based on that, I think it should perform pretty well, and be durable. Not sure what it will take to get it to go <1.4 sixties reliably, but we will find out and offer the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread