2014 Mustang to have IRS

Formula51

Established Member
The new 370Zs weigh just over 3200lbs...It's entirely possible to be light and designed to handle plenty of torque IMO; if it can be done on a Vette and 370Z I don't see a reason why it can't be done on a pony car. A lot of those 370Zs see well over 600ft/lbs of torque with a turbo kit.

Cars like the E46 M3 weigh 3400lbs with an IRS too. They're about as big as a Ford Mustang. Hell Toyota did in 1993 with the 3400lb Supra, (about the same size as a Mustang as well) and that IRS is damn near indestructible.

Yeah, but I see a lot of as tested weights up around 3,400lbs. I think Nissan is fibing a little on that figure.

2010 Ford Mustang vs. 2009 Nissan 370Z Comparison Test on Inside Line

The car only makes a relatively wimpy 270ft-lbs. of torque also.

The E46 is a good comparison, but I think still smaller than the Mustang and again you are talking about a V6 that only makes 260ft-lbs. of torque.

The new M3 (which meets modern safety standards and has a V8, although a tiny one) weighs 3,700lbs and still only has to handle 300ft-lbs. of torque.

I am not saying it isn't doable, just that it is going to be very hard to do it and keep it cheap. Light and cheap don't go together. As you see we are already talking about M3's for crying out loud!

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
I like the sound of the Euro Snob option. The Mustang is due for a shrinkage, just look at its history: 1964 - small. 1971 - big. 1974 - small. 2005 - big. 2014 - small? It's like the last 10 years of Kirstie Alley.
true !!! & the last part is epic :D:D:D:D:D

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
great....so now a good first mod will be the good ole SRA swap ala the terminator

Not everybody drag races.
The Terminator was designed as a road racer. 1320 guys yank go-fast parts, destroy a great car to fast in a straight line... What?

Maybe you'd like a DeDion rear end set-up to sitting next to an old Vette/pre '68 Volkswagen swing axle on display inside the old museum next to that purdy live axle?
LoL
Jeff

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
In fact the opposite is true, due to the articulation having less drag from clamping rubber bushings into position and having them flex in rotation with every cycle, the Delrin modded IRS will usually ride better unless a spring change was made at the same time to a stiffer spring. Literally the only down side is a very slight increase in NVH, that is primarily a slight increase in a white noise kind of gear sound, more noticeable on 4.10 and higher numerical gear, and less noticeable on 3.73s and down.

i agree - i just recently did bruce's full kit, and while there is no noticeable difference just driving around normally, on-ramps and turns now are so much more fun. almost like the car has less understeer and the rear end just rips around so i can turn in that much more without it pushing. i may be wrong (i have never road raced), but i can really tell a difference in street and highway high speed turning

when i took the rubber bushings out, yes, they had alot of preload in the rubber, and the whole arm was difficult to articulate by itself. both uppers and lowers, but especially the uppers

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Not everybody drag races.
The Terminator was designed as a road racer. 1320 guys yank go-fast parts, destroy a great car to fast in a straight line... What?

Maybe you'd like a DeDion rear end set-up to sitting next to an old Vette/pre '68 Volkswagen swing axle on display inside the old museum next to that purdy live axle?
LoL
Jeff

Only for about two laps. You have to watch the heat soak to avoid limp. Later the rear diff mount bushings will melt, and the diff oil will boil out all over and down onto the exhaust, causing you to be black flagged.

Now there are fixes, rear diff cooler and solid bushings, but just sayin'.

You don't need the IRS on a road course unless it's a very bumpy course or you are so all-out and experienced your car is pretty much a dedicated track car and you can completly re do the rear end.

A solid axle is just fine for most us, even those who open track on road courses.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Yeah, but I see a lot of as tested weights up around 3,400lbs. I think Nissan is fibing a little on that figure.

2010 Ford Mustang vs. 2009 Nissan 370Z Comparison Test on Inside Line

The car only makes a relatively wimpy 270ft-lbs. of torque also.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. My buddies 350Z doesn't even weigh 3400lbs and the 370Z is definitely smaller! It's a 2 seater that's smaller than even a C6. :shrug:

The E46 is a good comparison, but I think still smaller than the Mustang and again you are talking about a V6 that only makes 260ft-lbs. of torque.

The new M3 (which meets modern safety standards and has a V8, although a tiny one) weighs 3,700lbs and still only has to handle 300ft-lbs. of torque.

As for the E46 and Supra, they both have handled well over 800 ft/lbs of torque.

I don't feel the weight of the IRS necessarily go hand in hand with how much torque it can handle.

Also, the E46 M3 and newer E9X M3s could weigh a lot less but they too share a platform for midsized luxury sedans.

ge4618635747665453737.jpg

I am not saying it isn't doable, just that it is going to be very hard to do it and keep it cheap. Light and cheap don't go together. As you see we are already talking about M3's for crying out loud!

Well that I agree with that, car manufacture's are already complaining that the increased fuel requirements will definitely increase costs. I'm talking about M3s and Supras, but mind you these are already 9-17 year old cars! The technology isn't as cutting edge and expensive for a 2014-2015 model car.

If a new platform is designed from the ground-up with weight limitations in mind it can most certainly be done. Checkout the Cadillac ATS built on the Alpha platform which is rumored to be shared with the next generation Camaro.

caddy.jpg

I think we will see lighter as well as smaller cars in the future. Which is okay by me, IMO, the new Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are a lot bigger than they need to be.

Formula51

Established Member
Hmm, that doesn't sound right. My buddies 350Z doesn't even weigh 3400lbs and the 370Z is definitely smaller! It's a 2 seater that's smaller than even a C6. :shrug:

My buddies Turbo 350z with mild weight reduction weighed in at 3,46X if I remember correctly last time we were at the track. Not sure how much gas, but he did have the added weight of the turbo. I have always thought/seen that the Z cars are not as light as one would think. For that matter, as light as they should be.

As for the E46 and Supra, they both have handled well over 800 ft/lbs of torque.

I don't feel the weight of the IRS necessarily go hand in hand with how much torque it can handle.

Also, the E46 M3 and newer E9X M3s could weigh a lot less but they too share a platform for midsized luxury sedans.

All good points and I don't think they necessarily go hand in hand either. Its just an observation I made. Both the Cobra and Camaro appear to have heavier rear suspensions than the 350z and older M3. It would be cool to find some actual weights of the Z and M3 IRS for a true comparison though. We've got weights for the Cobra and Camaro.

I know these cars have handled a lot more torque than they were designed for (so have many cars), I just wonder how much the design would change if the factory was producing the car/rear for the levels of torque the Camaro and Mustang make. Factory acceptance tests are far different than what an owner deems acceptable. Its just a thought.

I think we will see lighter as well as smaller cars in the future. Which is okay by me, IMO, the new Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are a lot bigger than they need to be.

I think that may be the key. Smaller cars will make it easier to save weight and boost performance and fuel economy without significant increases in power. I tend to think the Mustang is a good size, but could shave the rear overhang some. The Camaro and Challenger both need to get smaller in my mind.

Jroc

Established Member
Only for about two laps. You have to watch the heat soak to avoid limp. Later the rear diff mount bushings will melt, and the diff oil will boil out all over and down onto the exhaust, causing you to be black flagged.

Now there are fixes, rear diff cooler and solid bushings, but just sayin'.

You don't need the IRS on a road course unless it's a very bumpy course or you are so all-out and experienced your car is pretty much a dedicated track car and you can completly re do the rear end.

A solid axle is just fine for most us, even those who open track on road courses.

If you stay at the factory boost level I don't think heat soak should be much of a problem. If you run a more efficient blower than a stock Eaton you should be able to run more boost without getting into heat soak as well. Also get a very safe tune.

I do agree that the SRA has a lot of potential just not with the geometry of the factory 4 link. If I was to get a SRA car I would probably do a Steeda 5 link 2. I really like its design, but the torque arm/panhard bar or watts link/ no uppers is a proven setup as well.

I wouldn't change the IRS for a straight axle on a IRS equiped Cobra though unless I was pushing a ton of power, and or DR'ing it frequently.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
My buddies Turbo 350z with mild weight reduction weighed in at 3,46X if I remember correctly last time we were at the track. Not sure how much gas, but he did have the added weight of the turbo. I have always thought/seen that the Z cars are not as light as one would think. For that matter, as light as they should be.

Sounds about right for a 350Z, generally 3325-34xxlbs stock depending on options. The 370Z is smaller though. They made the rear-end considerably shorter.

nissan-370z_1.jpg

2006-Nissan-350Z%5B2%5D.jpg

All good points and I don't think they necessarily go hand in hand either. Its just an observation I made. Both the Cobra and Camaro appear to have heavier rear suspensions than the 350z and older M3. It would be cool to find some actual weights of the Z and M3 IRS for a true comparison though. We've got weights for the Cobra and Camaro.

I know these cars have handled a lot more torque than they were designed for (so have many cars), I just wonder how much the design would change if the factory was producing the car/rear for the levels of torque the Camaro and Mustang make. Factory acceptance tests are far different than what an owner deems acceptable. Its just a thought.

I see what you're saying. Although we have no figures on factory acceptance tests for the rear-suspension setups. For example, the Supra makes 315ft/lbs stock, but it's been proven reliable well over 700ft/lbs. That rear-suspension could easily be more than enough in a 500-600hp+ factory car.

I think that may be the key. Smaller cars will make it easier to save weight and boost performance and fuel economy without significant increases in power. I tend to think the Mustang is a good size, but could shave the rear overhang some. The Camaro and Challenger both need to get smaller in my mind.

I think the Mustang could be a little smaller, especially if they decide to dump the retro theme in the future. :beer:

Formula51

Established Member
Sounds about right for a 350Z, generally 3325-34xxlbs stock depending on options. The 370Z is smaller though. They made the rear-end considerably shorter.

Yeah, they did a lot of work to lose weight in the 370Z, but still lost less than 100lbs. if I remember correctly. I think it was around 80lbs. all said and done.

Part of the reason it looks smaller is that the hatch rolls all the way to the rear of the car instead of ending before it like it did on the 350Z. I like these cars and know several owners of them and have ridden on track in one. They are very nice little cars, but certainly not lightweight. My darn Camaro weighs less than a 350Z and thats with spare tire, jack, and 3/4 tank of gas.

Anyhow, this does not necessarily lead to the IRS being heavier in a Mustang. However, the only similar data points we have to go on are the 03/04' Cobra IRS (~150lbs. over a SRA) and the Camaro IRS (~185lbs. over a 12-bolt SRA). So......absolute best case the IRS adds only 100lbs.????

Jroc

Established Member
Yeah, they did a lot of work to lose weight in the 370Z, but still lost less than 100lbs. if I remember correctly. I think it was around 80lbs. all said and done.

Part of the reason it looks smaller is that the hatch rolls all the way to the rear of the car instead of ending before it like it did on the 350Z. I like these cars and know several owners of them and have ridden on track in one. They are very nice little cars, but certainly not lightweight. My darn Camaro weighs less than a 350Z and thats with spare tire, jack, and 3/4 tank of gas.

Anyhow, this does not necessarily lead to the IRS being heavier in a Mustang. However, the only similar data points we have to go on are the 03/04' Cobra IRS (~150lbs. over a SRA) and the Camaro IRS (~185lbs. over a 12-bolt SRA). So......absolute best case the IRS adds only 100lbs.????

99-04 Cobra IRS adds about 120 or so lbs.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
If you stay at the factory boost level I don't think heat soak should be much of a problem. If you run a more efficient blower than a stock Eaton you should be able to run more boost without getting into heat soak as well. Also get a very safe tune.

I do agree that the SRA has a lot of potential just not with the geometry of the factory 4 link. If I was to get a SRA car I would probably do a Steeda 5 link 2. I really like its design, but the torque arm/panhard bar or watts link/ no uppers is a proven setup as well.

I wouldn't change the IRS for a straight axle on a IRS equiped Cobra though unless I was pushing a ton of power, and or DR'ing it frequently.

Even at the factory boost level and very rich (factory) tune, it did go into limp when pushed. But yes a twin screw, low boost, and rich tune would do better.

The steeda 5-link or the torque arm/panhard bar/watts link set-ups are superior to the Ford 4-link no doubt.

Stephen4036

Established Member
so take a heavy ass car and make it even heavier just to make it handle marginally better at best. Face facts, Ford sucks at the IRS game. They can make a 4 link rear handle better then most IRS's out there. Ford has the solid axle game figured out. 19Cobra93's Twin turbo car with a solid axle and torque arm suspension handled better in the autocross than any car i have ever been in my entire life. Not to mention he could cut some low 60's. There is a reason there isnt a IRS in the GT500...because it sucks! Leave the IRS for the Yuppie Corvette and Bumble Bee Camaro lovers. Stop hoping on the if its not a IRS it cant turn bandwagon and face facts broski.

marginally?

:nono:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
marginally?

:nono:

Yes, marginally. It improves the ride on a bumpy surface and reduces side-stepping on bumps mid-turn. (Had an 03 Cobra for 3 years)

There isn't much of either on road coursess. Plus on a road course the rear bushings will melt and fluid will boil out onto the exhaust if you drive it anything but easy. So it sucks for road courses unless you change out all the bushings and add a cooler.

It also sucks on drag strips because again, all the bushings should be replaced and it adds much weight. More prone to breakage too.

The IRS improves ride quality on the street. But you will have to put up with "the clunk" and often extra vibrations.

A steeda five link, torque arm set up, or Fords own three link is the way to go in a Mustang.

Last edited:

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
And the street is where the vast majority of cars are actually driven ...

Ahh but the difference is I don't care much how comfy the ride is. Otherwise I'd drive a Crown Vic. I could certainly spend $3K on my cars' suspension and really enjoy it. It would ride harsher and I would not care. But the $3k is better spent towards a newer, all over superior car.

Users who are viewing this thread