2014 Mustang to have IRS

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
just cant keep up. damn. just when im always planning to get a new one, they put out news for something more appealing coming out. guess ill wait till 2014 now

holbym

Established Member
http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae226/holbym/?action=view&current=cobraIRSpic.jpg&t=1273860293824 ~ 2014 IRS is the way to go,[unless the only point of the car is drag racing. Having completed an IRS swap into an sn95 98 cobra the difference in handling is night and day. I used to have the SRA with a steeda 5 link and it handled good but it never solved the inherent problems of an SRA car. These problems included: a nose heavy car, loss of traction on either rear wheel during hard cornering on any uneven surface, unreasonably rough ride, and did I mention a nose heavy car? People keep stating the IRS weighs at a minimum 120lbs more than the SRA. Actually it weighs 77lbs more than an SRA. This weight improves the F/R balance to 51F and 49R in an NA SN95 car.(light/balanced/powerful is the answer to all your problems) High RPM NA modular motors are the best. Built 4.6 teksid block/ported C heads/ Sean hyland stage III cams/ 2001 cobra induction manifold/Manley H beam/JE flat top pistons/T56/IRS.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
cobraIRSpic.jpg picture by holbym - Photobucket ~ 2014 IRS is the way to go,[unless the only point of the car is drag racing. Having completed an IRS swap into an sn95 98 cobra the difference in handling is night and day. I used to have the SRA with a steeda 5 link and it handled good but it never solved the inherent problems of an SRA car. These problems included: a nose heavy car, loss of traction on either rear wheel during hard cornering on any uneven surface, unreasonably rough ride, and did I mention a nose heavy car? People keep stating the IRS weighs at a minimum 120lbs more than the SRA. Actually it weighs 77lbs more than an SRA. This weight improves the F/R balance to 51F and 49R in an NA SN95 car.(light/balanced/powerful is the answer to all your problems) High RPM NA modular motors are the best. Built 4.6 teksid block/ported C heads/ Sean hyland stage III cams/ 2001 cobra induction manifold/Manley H beam/JE flat top pistons/T56/IRS.

Post proof of you claims.

It been pretty well documented over the years that the IRS weighs in the 120 lb range more than a Mustangs 8.8".

Also when I had my C/O's counterbalanced both front wheel were in the mid to high 1000 lb range, while both rears were in the mid 700 lb range. The overall weight was 3,611 lbs. Lets just guesstimate that the difference F/R is 500 lbs. I guarantee you that a 96-01 Cobra's front end doesn't weight anywhere near that less than a Terminators. Probably more like 150/160 lbs less, so no I don't think the IRS would give it anywhere near a 51/49 f/r weight distribution. I believe N/A Edge Cobra's had somewhere around a 54/46 F/R weight distribution which would be close to what a SN95 would have if not identical.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
If Motor Trend got it right in its original 2002 Camaro vs. 2001 Cobra article...they BOTH have a 56f/44r weight balance. Would be worse for the Cobra with an SRA. Still pretty ugly numbers though. After all they are only Mustangs and Camaro's.

Interesting to see how the Marc VDS Mustang GT3 with a new rear transaxle AND an IRS does at Bruno next week. FIA GT3...not an SRA in site.

holbym

Established Member
Post proof of you claims.

It been pretty well documented over the years that the IRS weighs in the 120 lb range more than a Mustangs 8.8".

Also when I had my C/O's counterbalanced both front wheel were in the mid to high 1000 lb range, while both rears were in the mid 700 lb range. The overall weight was 3,611 lbs. Lets just guesstimate that the difference F/R is 500 lbs. I guarantee you that a 96-01 Cobra's front end doesn't weight anywhere near that less than a Terminators. Probably more like 150/160 lbs less, so no I don't think the IRS would give it anywhere near a 51/49 f/r weight distribution. I believe N/A Edge Cobra's had somewhere around a 54/46 F/R weight distribution which would be close to what a SN95 would have if not identical.

Mustang Finally Gets An IRS | Automotive Industries | Find Articles at BNET
one of many places you could find the weight difference to be shown as 80lbs. (some say as low as 77lb). and as far as the 51F 49R its the best I could come up with after weighing the car on a four wheel scale, best estimate... it is a close split FR ratio now. a lighter k-member didnt hurt either. believe what you want. I did the swap and it was more difficult than I had expected, but for what I like to do at track days it was worth it.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I weighed my 99 before and after my IRS to live axle swap. The difference I saw was 95 lbs. The live axle came out of a 99 GT (which got my IRS). All the hardware was stock, as both cars were on lifts and the swap was done simultaneously. ~100 is probably a good ballpark to agree on, IMHO.

Adding 77 lbs, or 95 lbs, or 120 lbs to the back will certainly get the car closer to a 50/50 weight distribution - but it does not make the car lighter. I like lighter....especially with today's bloated cars.

To each their own.

Sax1031

Established Member
I haven't read the whole article.

I know some head Mustang guys said the wish list was to drop about 300 lbs off the mustang.

What I hope is they offer an option for SRA or IRS. If they add IRS they better find weight saving else ware to offset the IRS setup.

Users who are viewing this thread