2014 Mustang to have IRS

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
;)
We'd rather have the best solid axle than a mediocre multi-point rear. Hint, hint, Chevy. 'Nuff said.

The 2014 Mustang, which will be based off a revised Falcon platform, shouldn't add more weight.
do you have some info on this? all i've heard as of late is that ford USA and ford oz were fighting over rights to design the global RWD platform that would underpin both cars, and it ended up getting axed when the new US CAFE regs were released. from what i understand, the mustang will return on a major revision of the current S197 architecture(no doubt, with an IRS).
either way, i'm positive that the mustang will weigh the same, if not lose weight, since ford has been focusing on cutting weight on all new cars to help with the CAFE regs.

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
do you have some info on this? all i've heard as of late is that ford USA and ford oz were fighting over rights to design the global RWD platform that would underpin both cars, and it ended up getting axed when the new US CAFE regs were released. from what i understand, the mustang will return on a major revision of the current S197 architecture(no doubt, with an IRS).
either way, i'm positive that the mustang will weigh the same, if not lose weight, since ford has been focusing on cutting weight on all new cars to help with the CAFE regs.
Hi mate, how you been?

Here's a comprehensive view of what is on the drawing board. As he says, it's the plan, but they're still a fair way off at this stage.

wescoent said:
"The only thing the Mustang and Falcon will share are powertrains, most of the stuff fore of the firewall, and the usual Ford interior bits.

Thunderbird is in discussions as a US-built, Falcon-derived sports sedan to hit back at the Charger. Falcon would remain as an Australian-built unit. Regardless, the Thunderbird would be significantly more stylish... think Mercedes CLS.

MKR would follow suit to give Auto Alliance more work to do, and to compliment the Lincoln line."

(emphasis added)

Thunderbird as a sports-sedan indicates that Taurus will stay FWD/AWD. Interesting that the MKR would be built at Auto Alliance...

================================================== ======

Why does 'global' to everyone mean Western Europe?

Lincoln going global means China, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, and South America.

In the long run, Lincoln is looking to compete with Mercedes and BMW, in a manner of speaking. Attention to detail. Near-perfect reliability. Unmistakable styling. Unmatched customer service experience. Cutting-edge technology. It's not hyperbole... it's a goal.

Lincoln is slowly, but surely, creating their brand identity, and with each passing generation, the cars will improve.

They won't give up on the traditional American hallmarks of roominess for people and cargo, and effortless acceleration, which is why Western Europe will never accept them.

They're not there yet... not by a long shot, but that's the plan.

wescoent said:
In all honesty, nothing is really truly set in concrete yet, except for the general idea to leverage Ford of Australia's RWD engineering on a global scale. Lots of really good ideas on the table. Mustang and Falcon will share parts and some engineering, and Lincoln and Thunderbird will probably end up in the picture.

In my head, based on what I've heard as being on the table, combined with my own opinion, here's my take:

-There should be two versions of this new GRWD platform... one for sedans, one for coupes. The Mustang needs a unique rear-end and floorpan to accommodate the fastback. Regarding coupes, they should expand to include a Lincoln coupe and a Falcon coupe. Similar underpinnings, but the Lincoln built in Michigan, and the Falcon built in Australia, wearing Falcon-esque skin.

-Regarding sedans... there should be two general bodyshells. A more upright, formal bodyshell, and a swoopier 4-door coupe bodyshell. Sell the upright one as the next-generation MKS and Falcon (and a cheapo version as a police interceptor), and the swoopier one as a Thunderbird and a smaller Lincoln companion, MKR. The swoopier one can share some parts with the Mustang, even.

-Regarding large sedans... import the Taurus to Australia to sell as the Fairlane.

Ultimately, we end up with two factories building this platform, with two versions (coupe, upright sedan), along with a tweener 4-door coupe.

I think it could work, and we may end up seeing a final plan fairly close to that.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Hi mate, how you been?

Here's a comprehensive view of what is on the drawing board. As he says, it's the plan, but they're still a fair way off at this stage.
not too bad, just wasting life away:D and your self?

thanks for the info, apparently i've been dropping the ball lately, lol. that product line up makes perfect sense, hopefully it's dead on. i would LOVE to see the thunderbird return! a sedan would be breaking the tradition, but, hey, it worked with the charger.
lincoln looks to have a VERY bright future, so much potential based on their current line up. i think i'm looking forward to watching lincoln out of all the companies the most. mercury still doesn't have an identity though.

COBRA32

Established Member
I have had 2003 Cobra, 2008 Gt500 and 2010 GT500 all as daily drivers. The 08 was better than the 03 and 10 is better than both as a daily driver in ride and comfort. About the axel thing Motor Trend did not complain about it at all and matter of fact state the Handling was better than either the IRS equiped Camaro or Challenger in the handling dept. The 11 does not wheel hop anymore which is a plus nothing to buy when the 2011 ships. The 08 and 10 wheelhop was a very easy and cheap to fix, a Roush anti wheelhop kit did the trick which consisted of a UCA that cannot be said for the 03 IRS. I'am sure that my 2011 GT500 will be better than my 2010 they just keep getting better every year. I really do not miss my 03 Cobra and i will never have one again the new ones are just so much better.

Formula51

Established Member
;)
We'd rather have the best solid axle than a mediocre multi-point rear. Hint, hint, Chevy. 'Nuff said.

The 2014 Mustang, which will be based off a revised Falcon platform, shouldn't add more weight.

Well, you don't have the best solid axle. A good one, but it can be much better. It would be cool to see the Mustang switch to a Watts link instead of IRS, but I don't think it will happen. Would be cool though.

The IRS in the Camaro added 185lbs, over an aftermarket 12 bolt or over 200lbs. compared to a 10 bolt. This was documented and weighed by a member on the Camaro forums.

If the Mustang gains similar weight, then it would have to lose 200lbs. in the platform. That's asking a lot, but it may be doable. It would make the Mustang one of the lightest 400+hp V8 powered IRS cars under $35k that I can think of. Good luck Ford, I hope they do it.

FYI the little V6 IRS Genesis Coupe weighs 3,400lbs.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
assuming that ford makes the mistake GM made, building the car on a platform designed only with sedans in mind. fortunatly, ford isn't that stupid and they'll design the GRWD platform with both large sedans and medium sized coupes in mind. the IRS isn't the only thing that's heavier than it should be in the pig ass camaro.

kingnut

Established Member
I have had 2003 Cobra, 2008 Gt500 and 2010 GT500 all as daily drivers. The 08 was better than the 03 and 10 is better than both as a daily driver in ride and comfort. About the axel thing Motor Trend did not complain about it at all and matter of fact state the Handling was better than either the IRS equiped Camaro or Challenger in the handling dept. The 11 does not wheel hop anymore which is a plus nothing to buy when the 2011 ships. The 08 and 10 wheelhop was a very easy and cheap to fix, a Roush anti wheelhop kit did the trick which consisted of a UCA that cannot be said for the 03 IRS. I'am sure that my 2011 GT500 will be better than my 2010 they just keep getting better every year. I really do not miss my 03 Cobra and i will never have one again the new ones are just so much better.

exactly why im waiting to drive a 2011 gt. brand new car for 29k with 365whp and a nice upgraded interior. the 03/04 cobras are gonna have to drop 10 to 20% by the end of this year if the new GT is what they say it is.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i want solid axle. im either buying a late 11 or early 12. i have 8k saved so far to put down and my GT sold or traded..

i really like brembo wheels and brakes...

Formula51

Established Member
assuming that ford makes the mistake GM made, building the car on a platform designed only with sedans in mind. fortunatly, ford isn't that stupid and they'll design the GRWD platform with both large sedans and medium sized coupes in mind. the IRS isn't the only thing that's heavier than it should be in the pig ass camaro.

It all depends on how much weight they can save from the new platform.

Based on the Camaro's IRS weight, the existing Mustang platform with an IRS would weight close to 3,800lbs in the GT. Similarly, the existing Camaro with SRA would weigh under 3,700lbs.

Thus, the IRS and the slight difference in dimensions looks to be really what separates the two in terms of weight. Not the chassis like many assume.

What cars would the Mustang shares its new platform with?

The Camaro should be on Alpha by 2015 which should be lighter and smaller and will be shared with Cadillac and Buick models.

Therefore, I predict that if Mustang gets IRS on its next platform and Camaro is built on Alpha that the weight difference between the two will be negligible. Perhaps this will make the 2011 to 2013/14 Mustangs very desirable.

Dave07997S

Established Member
exactly why im waiting to drive a 2011 gt. brand new car for 29k with 365whp and a nice upgraded interior. the 03/04 cobras are gonna have to drop 10 to 20% by the end of this year if the new GT is what they say it is.

sorry mistake..

Dave

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
the ?is why? it already handles good, it outhandles the 03-04 cobra with irs, and outhandles the 07-10 gt500 with a solid axle and its already 3600lbs it has the weight advantage its gonna weigh as much as a tank if they do irs so dumb.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
When the Mustang finally does get a new IRS...it will out-handle all previous Mustangs. Count on it. Also, adding a 150 to 200lb IRS to the existing '11 GT500 (which won't happen anyway as we know) would move more weight to the back...which is not necessarily a bad thing on the Mustang. I'd wager it would still handle better and be a better ride overall...but we will never know until the new chassis arrives.

Falc'man

Turbo? WHAT turbo?
Established Member
If it's based off the current FG platform, itself on target for a diet, the net gain in weight for Mustang would be next to nothing.

The current I6 (cast iron I6 weighs the same as the new 5.0) Falcon is 3750lbs, and if they do what they say they want to do I can't it being a problem keeping the Mustang with IRS at the same ~3650lbs.

Now, that's not light as much as the Camaro is a porky. Camaro needs Alpha.

Formula51

Established Member
If it's based off the current FG platform, itself on target for a diet, the net gain in weight for Mustang would be next to nothing.

The current I6 (cast iron I6 weighs the same as the new 5.0) Falcon is 3750lbs, and if they do what they say they want to do I can't it being a problem keeping the Mustang with IRS at the same ~3650lbs.

Now, that's not light as much as the Camaro is a porky. Camaro needs Alpha.

Does the Falcon meet US safety standards?

Obviously the new chassis would have to meet current and future standards, which often (not always) translates to more weight. It is going to be a tough battle to lose weight and maintain price, but I hope they are successful. Ford has been doing some creative things so far, so I want to believe its possible.

Why do you think the Mustang would be 100lbs. lighter than the Falcon or essentially weight the same as it does now?

From the IRS weights I have seen for the 03-04' Cobra and 10' Camaro, you are essentially saying the new platform would save 150-200lbs. (the weight of IRS over a SRA). Although it does look like the Falcon is longer than the Mustang and lets hope it stays that way as the Mustang doesn't need to get any bigger. Perhaps the Mustang is going to get smaller.......

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Does the Falcon meet US safety standards?

Obviously the new chassis would have to meet current and future standards, which often (not always) translates to more weight. It is going to be a tough battle to lose weight and maintain price, but I hope they are successful. Ford has been doing some creative things so far, so I want to believe its possible.

Why do you think the Mustang would be 100lbs. lighter than the Falcon or essentially weight the same as it does now?

From the IRS weights I have seen for the 03-04' Cobra and 10' Camaro, you are essentially saying the new platform would save 150-200lbs. (the weight of IRS over a SRA). Although it does look like the Falcon is longer than the Mustang and lets hope it stays that way as the Mustang doesn't need to get any bigger. Perhaps the Mustang is going to get smaller.......

An IRS doesn't have to weigh that much...Yes it was poorly designed and weighed too much in our 03-04 Cobras, but it doesn't have to going forward. Cars like the 350/370Z and Corvette have very light independent setups.

Depending on the platform used I could see Ford keeping the weight down regardless of an IRS.

I do agree about safety standards though, I think that will be Ford's biggest obstacle in keeping the weight down.

Users who are viewing this thread