2014 Mustang GT or Subaru WRX STI??

Phil DoWork

Established Member
Did he really just ask that question?

All jokes aside, If you have the money - an sti is a great choice. You've got awd for road conditions and random off roading. However if you never see yourself using it and your single go for the mustang.

I've had enough turbo cars and decided this 2011 will be all i need for awhile. If your interested in a turbo awd car look at a evo 8 or 9. STI's in my opinion are nothing but trouble. I'm really surprised the mustang guys aren't busting out laughing over this thread =P

KonaFifty

Established Member
I have an 04 sti and a 2012 5.0. I enjoy both cars but if i had to choose one, it would be the 5.0.

Interior / ride quality is way better in the 5.0
MPG goes to the 5.0.
power 5.0
handling is better in the sti but its on fortuneauto coil overs.
traction in any weather is better on the sti.
The sti gets soooo much attention from the 4 / 6cyl crowd.
I guess it works different with the 5.0. maybe other v8s don't want to acknowledge a nice v8? or they just plain don't like it:shrug:

Resale value! The sti holds value very well.

th_20121220_124854.jpg

First day bringing the sti home. *lip is now fixed*

they get attention because their cars are somewhat unique in the jdm crowd and everyday cars. with the mustangs, everyone has mustangs, the only way people tell a difference between which stang is which is if you know what each stang is and how they look. so basically owners or real enthusiasts. even other v8's dont really know much about the power output of the 5.0s...or which is which...

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
You're on a mustang forum so the answer is get the 5.0. Go one a subi forum and the realist will say, get the 5.0. I was in the same boat as you back in May this year. Test drove mutiple 2011+ STI's (just hatches, love them) and 5.0's

Seeing you're from my home state I dont really see a need for a 5-door AWD. I was only looking at them because I'm stationed here in VA and we got a fair amount of snow last year. That and I have a newborn and small dog to haul with me from time to time. Unless you have a lot of people or stuff to haul I'd say get the mustang. But maaan do those Plasma Blue STI's look nice!

Ghostwhite

Established Member
I traded in my 2012 sti on the 5.0 and only miss the four doors and winter traction.

Mileage is spot on at 17-18 MPG for sti.
Power doesn't exist off idle or below 3300ish rpm which was annoying cruising around.
I am a road coarse guy and I believe I will be happier in the mustang. The sti is more predictable in corners because without mods they will always push/understeer but the stang can out distance it on the straights.
High horsepower is hard to have and harder to keep(no such thing as safe) in an sti. You won't see many 700+ hp cars out their.
I cracked a piston at 4500 miles and bone stock. Had a built shortblock after that and went to stage 2 but still didn't trust the car.
They weigh 3600 lbs too so they are not light.

I love the v8 rumble and great hwy mileage of the 5.0. Everyone recognizes a mustang, many thought I was joking about my econo-box looking sti being fast.

dead man walkin

Established Member
This is an apple and orange comparison.. and actually on every road course I have been on or seen its rare an evo or sti beat a mustang brembo or track pack car.. and driven by a professional. Never, look up the track times, you need a heavy modded sti to get close to a stock mustang.. see awd has an advantage in wet, snow, and ice.. but on a track awd has every advantage of fwd and rwd cars.. they also have every disadvantage.. and unless you have 500 HP (GT-R) you can't make up the disadvantages..

Ghostwhite

Established Member
I agree, I autocrossed regularly in the sti and could do well but on the road coarse with stock sp600 tires I could only barely walk away from a 2011 v6 mustang on near worn out stickies, we are similar in driver experience level. Track was at MPH in Hastings, Nebraska and I was running a 1:44 lap with the mustang at 1:46.

An sti needs some work for a dry road coarse to beat a 5.0.

Falcon Fixer

Established Member
The STI has four doors.
That means I would not even consider the possibility of thinking about MAYBE even looking into buying one.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
My last car before the mustang was a 2012 evo, 5k later in mods car was around 340 awhp , while it had a good acceleration and was fun in the turns unfortunately I live where curvy roads are in short supply. I find that it takes a boat load of cash to make any of the AWD units fast and then they still aren't reliable.

I went with the mustang for a few reasons, it has a good engine and good stock hp and tq along with a refined handling setup for a live axle car which is the best if you plan on doing any kind of straight line pulls, which most street racing is straight line / also drag of course.

I hated my interior in the evo and thought the car was on the heavy side. If they made a AWD 2 door coupe around 3000lbs with 350hp stock that would be a force to be reckoned with. However after all the time and money spent in my evo i felt that I shouldve went mustang a long time ago for a few reasons, yes they are more common but parts are cheaper and the mod communities are larger so you have more support.

In the end its your money but I would vote hands down the mustang.

Regards,

Josh

This is what I found, I after getting the mustang had some regrets because I drove a lot of cars but one I didn't drive was an Evo. After doing some reading though I came to realize that the current evos are just garbage. No offense. They weigh in just a few hundred less than the stangs do and you sit higher than the stang. I never did go and bother driving one as there were a few different track comparisons online of the 5.0 vs the Evo x and the Evo X lost on the track runs. Now, not by much, but still...

I heard Mitsu reliability is lackluster and dealers are insanely sparse. I really wanted a good corner carving car, but just nothing seems to hold that for street driving in the mustangs price range that the mustang doesn't beat...with a live rear axle, and without even messing with the suspension.

The evo I drove years ago, back in 2007 was a completely different evo than the one they make now. I think it was an evo 8? Weighed about 600lbs less than the current model and made almost the same power.

Over all I am happy to see the mustang hold its own as well as it does. I know some days with the rain and when I do have to drive in the snow, AWD would be awesome, but for the other 80% of the year I don't want to be limited by the 20%.

KonaFifty

Established Member
The evo I drove years ago, back in 2007 was a completely different evo than the one they make now. I think it was an evo 8? Weighed about 600lbs less than the current model and made almost the same power.

depends...was the evo a new evo from the dealer? if it was then it would be the evo 9. they stopped the 8 in 2005, the 9 came out in 2006. it will also depend on which evo you drove. if it is 600 lbs less, i think you are talking about the rs which is a stripped out version of the evos...power nuthin and almost nuthin inside to reduce a lot of weight (basically a race version). retains a 5 speed trans. then there is the regular 9 which has basically everything, then there are option packages for it. then there is the mr which has the 6 speed trans and some other stuff...exterior styling is a tad different too.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
depends...was the evo a new evo from the dealer? if it was then it would be the evo 9. they stopped the 8 in 2005, the 9 came out in 2006. it will also depend on which evo you drove. if it is 600 lbs less, i think you are talking about the rs which is a stripped out version of the evos...power nuthin and almost nuthin inside to reduce a lot of weight (basically a race version). retains a 5 speed trans. then there is the regular 9 which has basically everything, then there are option packages for it. then there is the mr which has the 6 speed trans and some other stuff...exterior styling is a tad different too.

Sorry i should have been more clear. I believe it was a 2004 RS as it was as you said, stripped. I just meant I got to drive it in 2007. A friend of mine at the place I worked then had one and it sure was fun to drive but I didn't really care for it for a DD since it literally had nothing. I see where I should have cleared that up haha. Misleading.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
Get a Boss or GT. WRXs are fun, but expensive and tedious to make better.

The best part about the GT is the new 5.0, but pair that with almost 10 years of chassis aftermarket development for the S197, and you can have a car that does what you need it to around Los Angeles. Road race, drag race, canyon runs or even just tooling around on the street...all more rewarding in a Mustang.

haVesoV777

Established Member
I went from an '11 WRX sedan to a '13 5.0 and never looked back. Considering I don't need a family car and none of my seats get used except the driver seat, i have no complaints as far as the "capacity" of the vehicle goes. as far as performance goes, i see much more potential in the 5.0. From the way i see it, you can squeeze a 2.5l flat 4 only so far..

Users who are viewing this thread