2014 Mustang GT or Subaru WRX STI??

KarbisSVT

Established Member
Hey guys, so i just test drove an Sti Hatchback.. and i loved it.. I love the 5.0 as well obviously. But now that i test drove the Sti i am having a harder time choosing which car to get.. What do you guys think? Any sti drivers out there? And what do you think between the two cars based on over all performance and quality? I am still leaning more towards the 5.0 but im not 100% sure about it.

I am looking to get a Premium GT 5.0 Manual with Track Package or Wrx Sti. I know that they are two different cars but I am just wondering based on what kind of experience you guys have had with both cars and which you prefer. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
both are great cars, both look good, both respond well to mods. I think it pretty much comes down to personal preference or whether or not you live somewhere where you could use AWD over RWD

thebigbadyeti

Established Member
Well, I came from a 2011 STI to a 2013 Mustang. Honestly the Mustang is not as useful as the Scooby, so if it is your only means of transportation and you have kids, or a wife, or friends that like to ride with, you should keep that in mind. Also keep in mind powertrain wise it is the opposite of the Mustang being that the engines are weak but the driveline is strong. I tell all my friends this: Make a list of what you need in a car and what you want. Then see which one matches.

D.T.R

Established Member
what are you planning on doing with the car? if you like racing, you will most likely always go faster with the 5.0.... even on road course racing.
the STI is a nice car, but they want way too much money for the HP you get and the potential of the car. Just like the post above, you'll probably never see 600whp+ from a power adder on stock motor STI, like you see on 5.0s all day in here. Mods for those cars are also way more expensive.

ForgotMyUsrname

Established Member
I got my GT for $26,600. How much is the STi?

Also, check insurance on both. I bet the STi is much more.

fast4v

Established Member
I sold a 2012 mustang GT premium for a 2012 sti hatchback. I needed something to hall the kids around with a little more room. Fun little car to drive, got a thumbs up everywhere I went. Needless to say 8 months later i sold the subie and jumped back to a mustang (2013 Laguna seca). I missed that V8 sound and power.
Can't go wrong with a mustang easy to mod and fun to drive!!

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
DO NOT get a new sti. my friend just got rid of his after 5k miles. at the first track day cracked a piston. dealer fixed it. a few weeks later cracked a piston... he had a shop replace the oe pistons with something aftermarket i dont know what. a week later the crack seals were bad.

i drove the car a few times. these cars are gutless. they claim to have 300 hp but i dont know if they are real horses or actual ponies. finaly the fuel system sucks balls. if you want to leave it 100% stock and relay on the dealer to fix it then i dont see a real issue but if you like to mod your car i would steer away from them.

D.T.R

Established Member
yeah the evo would be a faster awd/turbo/4cyl car... and has way more potential than an STI.
I love how those STI hatches look though.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I've had a couple wrx's and sti's.. I enjoy my 5.0 much more. They're fun and a great all weather car so if you don't have a DD then a STi might make more sense depending on location. Suby's are fun to mod, but if you throw a exhaust and tune on a new sti and the same on a new 5.0... no contest and STi will get left in the dust.

Seeing as you're in LA - to me its no question. 5.0

KonaFifty

Established Member
yeah the evo would be a faster awd/turbo/4cyl car... and has way more potential than an STI.
I love how those STI hatches look though.

the evos/stis are about the same...it just boils down to mods/tune and driver mod to see which one is faster. the boxer engine sounds better than the evo though.

D.T.R

Established Member
the evos/stis are about the same...it just boils down to mods/tune and driver mod to see which one is faster. the boxer engine sounds better than the evo though.

Maybe during the bolt on stages they might be the same, but from a cost per whp standpoint, the evo is way ahead than the STI.
That's also why you don't see many STIs making real power and street racing. It cost a fortune to make more than 600whp on a STI.

kingcobra323

Established Member
I've owned a couple subies all though they are fun,convenient, and perform good. I love my 2013 gtcs auto. With boltons is faster than my subarus were. I do miss awd occasionally.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If you want awd and a v8 get a bmw m-3... Much better then a scooby, not only that, bmw is discontinuing awd in the m-3 so you will need to grab a slighty used 1! Cost more but its a much better car!

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
If you want awd and a v8 get a bmw m-3... Much better then a scooby, not only that, bmw is discontinuing awd in the m-3 so you will need to grab a slighty used 1! Cost more but its a much better car!

:dw:

You might be thinking of the 335Xi. M3 is RWD only. I drove one and STILL went with the 5.0. The BMW didn't make that much of an impression.

As for the STi vs. 5.0, I drove those too. Hell, I drove everything under the sun before I paid for the Mustang. The Evo's and STi's did NOT feel like 300+hp cars to me. My old, lightly modded SRT4 would've given them FITS! AWD? Well, I don't know about you,but I LOVE slinging this GT around! And after the Steeda springs, it handles 100% better. The AWD cars will always take the corners better. Also, I know from my old 2002 WRX, AWD launches are AWESOME! My GT just spins and spins and spins...............plus, I just had a driveshaft replaced under warranty. -1 for GT drivetrain! lol

One of the other things I noticed when driving all these cars is that the interiors SUCK on the Evo's! I'm going to spend $32K+ and get an interior that looks like it's out of a Hyundai Elantra? Uh, nope. The STi was a much better feel.

I can say I have seen friends mod them, and as stated, they do respond well but DAMN they want some serious money for HP! Now, if you have the money for mods and repairs, those Boxer motors are friggin' monsters! Sound pretty cool too with some exhaust!

The only thing I can add is go with the car that speaks to you. The one that you drive past and say "I gotta have you". After I drove M5's, GTi's, CTS-V's, Evo's, SS's, S4's, etc. I always knew that no matter what, if I was to buy something other than a Mustang, I wouldn't be happy. I knew I would be driving down the road in the S4, have a GT go by with some exhaust, and think "DAMN, shoulda bought one......." OP, go with the one that's going to make you envy the other driver when you see it on the street.

Last edited:

5pnt0

Established Member
I miss my 2006 WRX at times, had lots of stuff done to it and was fun to drive. With that said, the new STi's are popping stock motors left and right. Junk. If you want to put any more than 350whp to the motor start thinking of doing some internals.

nicksender

Established Member
I do like both choices. I have a mostly stock 2003 WRX as my daily driver and it's fun, especially in winter, and am looking to pick up a new GT to replace my Cobra.

I think you would have a lot more fun in the Mustang. Being from LA you don't have to battle any snow so the AWD isn't as necessary for you; though it's great for racing from a dig. The Mustang is going to be easier/cheaper to make faster.

Plus the standard WRX with 265hp are pretty quick and about $26k or so. My brother has a 2013 WRX and it runs 13.6 @ 100ish stock. I don't think the STi is worth the extra coin as they run about the same 1/4 times if that is important to you. Sure the STi has a lot more going for it but I don't think it's worth the extra $5k-$7k they cost over the base WRX.

Good luck with your choice!

Users who are viewing this thread