2014 GT track key

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
The more I think about this, the more I know its not for me. I'll just do an AED cam tune and enjoy a better lope plus more power. That track key is a joke like it was for the boss, with the exception of the launch control thing. That would be nice, but again probably not going to work at the track for a better 60' time. But cool for those people who want to keep the warranty intact. Plus its $302 plus an hour of labor. Yikes.

SL0W5.0

Established Member
so my car was made 6/13 lol
i watched it get off the truck at dealer on october so it takes 4 months from the time its made to the time it gets sent to dealer wtf. oh well

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Originally Posted by HarrishMasher
IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THE GT TRACK KEY

I just spoke with Ford Racing. The gentlemen I spoke to said the 7/1/14 date is not correct. It will work on late model 2013 and all 2014 GTs with manual transmissions.

It's function (ability to work) is related to the updated instrument cluster.

A release date is not clear at this point, as it is in development. He would not give me a date.

The price should be the same as the Track Key for the Boss 302...which is $302

WooHoo I'm in!!!

Feel free to call for more info 800.367.3788, choose option two for the Ford Racing department.

:banana::banana:

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
I'm going to wait and see if it actually does anything. If so I'm in!! My cars birthday is 02/06/13

Last edited:

todcp

Established Member
The ProCal tuner is not the same as the track key. I have the ProCal installed currently and all it does is run smoother and adds 16 horses plus low end torque.
Ford Racing confirmed via email and conversation that the track key software is to change the engine characteristics to be a better track car. And it only turns on when you use the track key to start the car. They told me to expect zero horsepower gain with the track key. They also told me the ProCal tune will be overridden with the installation of the track key software. So the track key is a completely different animal that the ProCal tune.

Note as well that Ford Racing confirms the electronics on the mid year, July 1 and on, cars are very different in sensors etc. The track key will only function if your car has the newer electronics. Ford Racing will be able to know your car via your VIN number; just like they did with my ProCal.
Go to fordracingproductsdirect.com to see the list of changes the key makes by clicking on 2014 Mustang GT Track Key.
The track key will also maintain the warranty with a reduction to 3/36,000 for track key failure.

Last edited:

todcp

Established Member
Good news. The GT track key and track cal are now up on the fordrracingparts website and available for 2014.5 and 2013-14 cars respectively. I would assume that means they are shipping and installing now. Hope mine arrives soon.
And better yet. They kept the power increase that I had with the ProCal tune.
Here is what they highlight.
Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
Lopey idle (we recommend Mustang GT side exhaust kit M-5220-MB to maximize the lopey idle experience)
Improved engine performance- Up to 60lb-ft at 1500rpm & peak increases of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel

Clipboard

Established Member
Good news. The GT track key and track cal are now up on the fordrracingparts website and available for 2014.5 and 2013-14 cars respectively. I would assume that means they are shipping and installing now. Hope mine arrives soon.
And better yet. They kept the power increase that I had with the ProCal tune.
Here is what they highlight.
Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
Lopey idle (we recommend Mustang GT side exhaust kit M-5220-MB to maximize the lopey idle experience)
Improved engine performance- Up to 60lb-ft at 1500rpm & peak increases of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel

I would be willing to ditch my cheap bama tune for a pro cal just for the idle lope and 2 step...

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
I like the option of the 2 step, lopey idle, and engine breaking especially. The engine performance and warranty are a bonus too. I don't plan on drag racing my car but plan on road racing it and most of this stuff would come in handy. The prices I have seen are a little steep though.

bwkelley76

bwkelley76
Established Member
FINALLY! Some answers and a summarized description of the 2 different options, directly from Ford's website.... (Not sure on availability yet) YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO TURN THE LOPEY IDLE OFF on the "Trac Cal" tune for the earlier models built before 7/13. ALSO, THIS CALIBRATION ADDS HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE!

They also compare it to one of the common Pro-Cal tunes.

...I'm still torn on whether or not to do buy a later cluster and recalibrate my "as-built" data so that I can have the key instead of the Trac Cal tune. One benefit of the tune versus the key would be the on-demand readiness versus needing to insert another key. (What if you left the key at home or found yourself in a situation where you wanted the extra horsepower on the street, and the stock key was currently in the ignition? Kindof a hassle to stop the car and swap keys, right?) The benefit of just the key would be the ability to have the stock tune when going on a trip or whatever. ...Makes me curious if fuel mileage or drivability will be negatively affected during normal driving.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23702

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/TracKey_Track_Cal_Warranty_Statement_2014v3.pdf

Robb03

Established Member
Has anyone done the procal and verfied it adds HP like Ford claims? I am interested in doing the Procal later on just because it won't mess with my warranty from Ford. It is a daily driver for me, and Im not a racer of any kind, but more power is always better!

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
FYI the procal would need to be ordered, and installed through your local dealer to not effect your warranty. Just like all the FRPP parts. If you order that procal online and flash it yourself, you are indeed on your own(warranty still void). And the dealers will know because your vehicle oasis report will not show a dealer installed procal. Just and FYI.

Rusnak_322

Established Member
FINALLY! Some answers and a summarized description of the 2 different options, directly from Ford's website.... (Not sure on availability yet) YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO TURN THE LOPEY IDLE OFF on the "Trac Cal" tune for the earlier models built before 7/13. ALSO, THIS CALIBRATION ADDS HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE!

They also compare it to one of the common Pro-Cal tunes.

...I'm still torn on whether or not to do buy a later cluster and recalibrate my "as-built" data so that I can have the key instead of the Trac Cal tune. One benefit of the tune versus the key would be the on-demand readiness versus needing to insert another key. (What if you left the key at home or found yourself in a situation where you wanted the extra horsepower on the street, and the stock key was currently in the ignition? Kindof a hassle to stop the car and swap keys, right?) The benefit of just the key would be the ability to have the stock tune when going on a trip or whatever. ...Makes me curious if fuel mileage or drivability will be negatively affected during normal driving.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23702

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/include/TracKey_Track_Cal_Warranty_Statement_2014v3.pdf

Why would you ever not use the new key?
It isn't like there is a huge amount of hp, it seems to be milder then most aftermarket tunes people run daily with no issues.

Up other than the lopey idle, there will be no huge difference. 16 hp is less than 4% increase on a 420 hp motor. Probably less than the difference between some 2014 Mustangs

Users who are viewing this thread