2013 RTR testing the Pypes Headers w/ results

DIB5.0

Established Member
What was the car stock and how much did it gain with just the tune and CAI.

RFM50

Established Member
You guys are missing something here! Steve and Chris have no reason to falsify numbers. If anything it would be stupid of them to falsify the numbers on these because I can garuntee that they make more money on selling a set of Kooks to a customer than a set of Pypes. I personally appreciate what they have done by showing us real world numbers with some added popular mods. Its a known fact in the racing industry that stepped headers give off better numbers than standard long tubes. The big manufactures don't produce these because they don't make more power, it's because they cost more to manufacture and have less profitability. Now with all that said are these going to be as nice of a quality and have as good of a fit as Kooks and American racing, probably not! Thanks for doing this write up Steve! When I am ready to spend the money on hearders to get every last ounce out of my car, I will call you to talk about these.

BPatterson

Established Member
I had stepped Kooks longtubes on my 00' Camaro SS back in 02. Stepped headers have been available for street cars for quite some time.

ViciousJay

Established Member
looks good but this makes me wanna do this mod but maybe with OBX for half the price instead!

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
It looks like I could sell half of you swamp land.
The OP was making this thread look like the Pypes were the big gainer here. Not the tune, CAI or Off road pipe.
The title of the thread is "2013 RTR testing the Pypes Headers w/ results"
Not testing of Pypes, CAI, Off road pipe and tune.
I'm trying to make the point, Think a set of headers and OR pipe is going to pick you up 42HP? Its not going to happen on these 5.0's

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
The OP was making this thread look like the Pypes were the big gainer here. Not the tune, CAI or Off road pipe.
I'm trying to make the point, Think a set of headers and OR pipe is going to pick you up 42HP? Its not going to happen on these 5.0's

I stated and point out things in my first post what we did and how we did it.

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
YAY HEADERS I CAN AFFORD. . . . . .damnit the wife is gonna shoot me, there goes the honey moon money.

OH WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
He posted the results

I know Its common for the bosses to pickup 40hp on longtubes alone, granted the heads and cams are better.

The tune is probably alittle "hotter"
Those welds look good, I'm glad pypes is stepping up on the quality. I might have to get those.

How hot does the engine bay get with those uncoated headers?

Last edited:

faztcobra

Established Member
Sure would have liked to seen the car dynoed maxed out with the tune before it was maxed out after the header install. I'm not calling foul play just wondering about the tune before the install. U know being a tuner a little adjustment here and there can change pwr numbers by 10rwhp.
I'm on board with this statement. He mentions it makes 368 stock and 381 with a tune and cold air. To only gain 13 hp with a tune and cold air? That seems a bit low to me. I didn't even have a cold air, but a tune and offroad H and made 397. I do think 25ish rwhp is quite likely with these, but until I see a before and after by a regular Joe, I'm not buying this ocean front property.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
He posted the results.

Stock 368rwhp
Cai/tune 381.61rwhp. 13.61 gain
Cai/tune/headers/orx 423.01rwhp. 41.4 gain

I know Its common for the bosses to pickup 40hp on longtubes alone, granted the heads and cams are better.

The tune is probably alittle "hotter"
Those welds look good, I'm glad pypes is stepping up on the quality. I might have to get those.

How hot does the engine bay get with those uncoated headers?

Had low timing for a street car because the owner puts a lot of miles on this car and is more interested in longevity.

It gets hot but nothing out of the normal

ViciousJay

Established Member

:beer:

RFM50

Established Member
I'm on board with this statement. He mentions it makes 368 stock and 381 with a tune and cold air. To only gain 13 hp with a tune and cold air? That seems a bit low to me. I didn't even have a cold air, but a tune and offroad H and made 397. I do think 25ish rwhp is quite likely with these, but until I see a before and after by a regular Joe, I'm not buying this ocean front property.

The 381 is about right! With a bama tune and CAI I only put down 383. It all depends on the dyno.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member

We have seen more as well. I also stated it was humid and raining which will affect it when the first pull was done compared to it completely cool for the header pull which was at night with a little better air quality. And as said from many others... every car is different

The 381 is about right! With a bama tune and CAI I only put down 383. It all depends on the dyno.

this is true.

Conclusion:
A lot of the questions were answered in the original post. The results of using these headers was biased on a common modded 5.0 running around. I gave my results and thoughts and showed the numbers. I didn't do this to show we only use these. I'm in fact doing the same test on a 13 GT tomorrow with the Kooks headers.

I'm doing these articles so help people choose. You can purchase this from whomever you choose to buy it from. But this was meant to be a real life scenario.

I do thank everyone for their questions. Stay tuned for the next article. :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
We have seen more as well. I also stated it was humid and raining which will affect it when the first pull was done compared to it completely cool for the header pull which was at night with a little better air quality. And as said from many others... every car is different

this is true.

Conclusion:
A lot of the questions were answered in the original post. The results of using these headers was biased on a common modded 5.0 running around. I gave my results and thoughts and showed the numbers. I didn't do this to show we only use these. I'm in fact doing the same test on a 13 GT tomorrow with the Kooks headers.

I'm doing these articles so help people choose. I honestly don't care if you buy from us or whomever but a real life scenario.

I do thank everyone for their questions. Stay tuned for the next article. :beer:

I appreciate honestly like this. More product reviews with all the facts from vendors is what I would like to see more of here.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

walked_u_hard

Established Member
it was said before, ill say it also.

This is a CAI, LT's, AND a tune. These are absolutely believable and realistic numbers, i can back this up with my numbers soon.

stang910

Established Member
How come nobody ever dyno's a car with an O/R-X then swaps in headers? Is it cause the gains are so small that it wouldn't seem logical to buy the headers? I'd like to see what these headers gain on a supercharged car starting with an O/R-X then doing the headers and no tune changes.

Users who are viewing this thread