2013 RTR testing the Pypes Headers w/ results

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
How come nobody ever dyno's a car with an O/R-X then swaps in headers? Is it cause the gains are so small that it wouldn't seem logical to buy the headers? I'd like to see what these headers gain on a supercharged car starting with an O/R-X then doing the headers and no tune changes.

Already in the works with the car we are doing with tomorrow. It has a JLT and BBR off road X pipe. We are swapping to the Kooks Longtubes. It will show before and after. Once We get a blown car in here I will do the same. But you cannot just do it with no tune changes. You will have to adjust for the longtubes though. :beer:

Mind posting the same results with the Kooks headers as well?

Yes sir. Will be doing the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Kooks appears to me as a mid-length header. The pypes stepped appears to be a better option for optimal gains.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Your right I had a set of old school stepped headers on my 289 66 Mustang.
Thanks for taking the time to post your results. I'm looking forward too seeing other peoples results also.

Theirs going to be a lot of speculation on these headers or any parts that people can't believe. It happens with everything. Plus the stepped header has been around for a LONG time. It's just now brought to the street market for this cost. Many companies do make them. Just not for street use. We are NOT saying Pypes is the right choice for your car. This was a simple swap that you can do in your own garage and us showing what happened when we did it. We installed the headers and it made this number.

I'm doing the same thing with kooks tomorrow and a TVS swap today

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
How come nobody ever dyno's a car with an O/R-X then swaps in headers? Is it cause the gains are so small that it wouldn't seem logical to buy the headers? I'd like to see what these headers gain on a supercharged car starting with an O/R-X then doing the headers and no tune changes.

mutha****a(j/k) thats just what i did and what i posted results on. I posted the link again and again of my results of having an off road x-pipe vs longtubes. I picked up 4whp.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2-dyno-results-3-o-r-x-vs-lts-driveshaft.html

People want so see gains of 20hp. They dont want to see 4hp. Therefore my real world results get thrown away so people can post gains of 40hp!

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
mutha****a(j/k) thats just what i did and what i posted results on. I posted the link again and again of my results of having an off road x-pipe vs longtubes. I picked up 4whp.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2-dyno-results-3-o-r-x-vs-lts-driveshaft.html

People want so see gains of 20hp. They dont want to see 4hp. Therefore my real world results get thrown away so people can post gains of 40hp!

Next time you post, test the link to see if it works, sugar tits.

You didnt do a proper comparison either. Your runs are 2 moths apart,10 deg different, 10% humidity difference, and put gt500 mufflers on which are chambered and slow down exhaust velocity (not a huge difference, but still).

Look at your graph below 3,700 rpm, LOTS more torque with the LT's installed. Even if you did a proper comparison and saw a gain of 4 HP at the peak, gains over the curve are well worth it. On a daily basis the car typically wont see over 3,000 rpm, which is where you will feel the gains the most on a street car anyway, so that alone is worth it.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Next time you post, test the link to see if it works, sugar tits.

You didnt do a proper comparison either. Your runs are 2 moths apart,10 deg different, 10% humidity difference, and put gt500 mufflers on which are chambered and slow down exhaust velocity (not a huge difference, but still).

Look at your graph below 3,700 rpm, LOTS more torque with the LT's installed. Even if you did a proper comparison and saw a gain of 4 HP at the peak, gains over the curve are well worth it. On a daily basis the car typically wont see over 3,000 rpm, which is where you will feel the gains the most on a street car anyway, so that alone is worth it.

Different rpm starts of the dyno also which have me feeling that the longtubes still werent worth it. Thats great the car made more torque from different starts of the dyno but still didnt prove anything at the track. On the street the car felt no different.

So I should spend the money on longtubes for daily driving? At the track you wont even see that rpm where the gains "may have been" Thats great a street car may feel the gains for .2 of a second that they are between 2000-4000rpm but will still only run with a stock shorty header car at the track. I spent the money on them and like the way they sound. I just cant lie to the rest of the SVT people that they are a necessary mod. 90% of the gains are from the mid pipe unless force induction comes into play.

RFM50

Established Member

I would also love to see this kind of a test on a blown car but with the proper tune changes!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Just got my car running this weekend after installing the pypes long tubes and off road x pipe.

Ran into a couple snags. Steering shaft was completely rubbing and grinding on the headers. Had to use an air hammer on the header to move it about a 1/4 of an inch.

Also for anyone wondering for fitment with a bassani catback it was a pain in the ass. The bassani catback comes with the resonators welded onto the bassani x pipe so the over axle pipes are about 17 1/2 inchs shorter then stock and most other aftermarket ones. So i just deleted the resonators and welded 17 1/2 inch 3 inch tube onto the pypes x pipe to connect the x pipe to the bassani over axle pipes. It is loud!

Defiently feels like it pulls more in the mid range then before.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jdcobra

Established Member
Just got my car running this weekend after installing the pypes long tubes and off road x pipe.

Ran into a couple snags. Steering shaft was completely rubbing and grinding on the headers. Had to use an air hammer on the header to move it about a 1/4 of an inch.

Also for anyone wondering for fitment with a bassani catback it was a pain in the ass. The bassani catback comes with the resonators welded onto the bassani x pipe so the over axle pipes are about 17 1/2 inchs shorter then stock and most other aftermarket ones. So i just deleted the resonators and welded 17 1/2 inch 3 inch tube onto the pypes x pipe to connect the x pipe to the bassani over axle pipes. It is loud!

Defiently feels like it pulls more in the mid range then before.

-Thomas

Yea someone was saying that the clearance wasn't good and to replace the k member bushings while you're down there.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Yea someone was saying that the clearance wasn't good and to replace the k member bushings while you're down there.

When installing, loosen stock motor mounts and trans member so when your installing the headers, you have more room plus you can help place everything where it needs to be so nothing hits.

Swapping to adj mounts will solve this too

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

I have a bmr kmemeber. So it wasnt bad at all. I just loosen both motor mounts and moved it side to side.

-Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread