2013 RTR testing the Pypes Headers w/ results

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
As I have posted lately, Pypes has stepped up their game with the newer mustangs. With design, quality, and sound...... they have deff made a good impression on this industry. Plus.... for a in-expensive stainless steel system... you really cannot beat it.

BBR had the chance to recently play with this exhaust system. And what better candidate than our 2013 #2 RTR Mustang.

This car already had a few mods done to it when it came in but in my eyes... that's perfect. The first mod just about everyone does is the Cold Air Intake. Now being a dealer of all the major brands, we can't just pick one for the best results so we left it up to the owner.

We ended up going with the Air Aid CAI and a tune from Chris. Once installed, we backed this baby up onto the rollers to see what the power was.

(now before people start to question, when this testing was done, it was raining all day with high humidity. And the STD and SAE was off by 7hp)

Now after it put down this impressive # on just a BBR and AirAid tune, it was time to swap out that stock exhaust with some Pypes.

First thing I did was lay out so you can all see what is included in the Header system. What was nice to see is that the header bolts were a nice touch. Not a grade 8 bolt but still trustworthy. What else was nice is that it comes with bung bolts to block off running the rear 02 sensors as well. Couple extra bucks in your pocket I must say. And it also comes with the extensions.

A nice touch adding their logo to the header. too.

Here is everything that you will get:

What I thought was funny is that on the X pipe.... the tag has an arrow pointing the correct direction.... Breaking it down barney style for some people. LOL

The key to why these headers caught our attention is the fact they were designed as a stepped header. It goes from a 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 - 3" Collector. Anyone that has been racing for a long time knows that this has always been the way to go. Problem was that it was more of a custom and very expensive add-on. This creates some good additional power on the 5.0's motors.

Now... this install took us about half a day because we wanted to make sure their is nothing wrong with them and making sure it was good to go.

Now Ill be honest..... the fitment was very tight but it wasn't anything that is over and above. Anyone can install these with some mechanic's skills, time, and beer.

Once it was installed, it was fired up, backed onto the roller's and Chris re-tuned it for the new addition

After some minor tweaking. This thing picked up some nice all around gains.

That's a 40hp difference with just adding these and when you compare the graph to the just intake tune...... well you can see the results. LOL

After it was all said and done, I pulled it outside so I could get a more realistic idle sound. What I liked about it is that its not to loud at all.

Pypes long tubes on 2013 RTR - YouTube

Owner revving and a little throttle snap action
2013 RTR with Pypes long tubes - YouTube

The exhaust sound I must say was amazing!! Had a deep throaty sound that screamed bloody murder at WOT but nice and tame when idling or just cruising.

All in all.... We were very impressed with these headers and with more add-on... you can easily get some better power!

These headers are in stock and can ship whenever. Cost of this set up was:

Pypes Headers w/ off road X: $849.99
Air Aid CAI: $339.99

Last edited by a moderator:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Nice results. Im glad i got these a couple weeks ago!!

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

GT915

Established Member
Nice numbers...is the xpipe a 3 inch or 2.75? Are you still using the stock over axle pipes with the rtr mufflers? Did you retain the stock resonators as well?

faztcobra

Established Member
Nice results. Im glad i got these a couple weeks ago!!

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Did you car dyno 442 before or after the headers or have you even put them on and dynoed yet? Shaun will get every ounce of power out of those!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Nice numbers...is the xpipe a 3 inch or 2.75? Are you still using the stock over axle pipes with the rtr mufflers? Did you retain the stock resonators as well?

Full 3" with connection to stock flow tubes and the RTR muffler

From everything ive read i thought extensions were to be completely avoided?

We didn't use them but they are supplied in case.

D.T.R

Established Member
Damn those are nice gains, and the price is crazy cheap for what you get.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
So it appears this stepped LT header is 20-25whp better than just o/r mid and about 10whp better than "other" LTs on the market...going by previous dynos I've seen?

squeak93

Established Member
We have had a set of pypes lt headers on A n2o 2v for about 4 years now. They were and are very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread