2013 Paxton 5.0 vs Challenger Hellcat

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
If they asked the owner to open the hood and he said no that is almost an admission of guilt. But it seems that is not what happened here. They took pictures together in a parking lot. I know it violates the racing etiquette there but I would be checking that car out like it was on display at the autoshow lol.

I miss two many pages and half to play catch up. I didn't realize this particular Hellcat had allowed people to look under his hood and trunk. So props to him if he is factory stock.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Everybody remain calm....... If the Hellcat wins which I suspect it will, then we'll have something to really talk about. I don't see how a stock Hellcat which everyone except the magical S.Texas has run mid 120's pull a car that traps over 130. Maybe we'll need a few more to go the track.

These cars that trap more than him have all manuals i think. This car is an auto that traps 132. I would think if there clean runs the 5.0 should edge it out. Guess we'll see.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
I got invited to go out with the hellcat and a few other bad ass rides tomorrow night but I already planned on hitting the track. Rain check ...I'll run him next time.

2190days...

only one at a time..
Established Member
Very nice... that 3.6 must feel real good. Im going to wastegate mine and then its on. Although the damn car feels PLENTY fast right now with the 3.73s it bangs 7200 like no ones business.

Agree... the 3.31s aren't helping him against an 8spd auto either. A good shifting mt82 and 3.73s would have raped this Hellcat IMO.

agree... you'll love your car after the Paxton install!

how do you figure 3.73s would give him a better chance? the HC is pulling up top, so by switching to a taller gear (ex: 3.73s or 4.10) wouldnt the car pull weaker up top?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
how do you figure 3.73s would give him a better chance? the HC is pulling up top, so by switching to a taller gear (ex: 3.73s or 4.10) wouldnt the car pull weaker up top?

The 3.73s put the car into its powerband sooner. A centri car doesnt start building real steam until 4500-5k rpm and and that steam exponentially increases as the car builds more and more rpm. A taller gear puts it into that powerband sooner.

Like i said earlier, none of it matters if you cannot shift the car because the tall gears are going to require you to man handle the MT82 if you want to keep up but its my opinion the taller gears and a great shifting trans would have had the car fare better.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The 3.73s put the car into its powerband sooner. A centri car doesnt start building real steam until 4500-5k rpm and and that steam exponentially increases as the car builds more and more rpm. A taller gear puts it into that powerband sooner.

Like i said earlier, none of it matters if you cannot shift the car because the tall gears are going to require you to man handle the MT82 if you want to keep up but its my opinion the taller gears and a great shifting trans would have had the car fare better.
I've always read that 3.73 is good for dig and 1/4 racing if your car is NA. If car is boosted in any form, 3.31 is the way to go.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I read that too a bunch until i bolted a Paxton onto my car. I wouldnt change gears if someone offered to do it for free.

The main reason you read that is because with 3.73s and boost you will have to shift into 5th gear at the track and no one wants to do that.

My first 1/4 event is in two weeks so i guess i'll find out just how bad shifting into 5th really is.... :)

MikeW

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread