2003 Cobra - New restoration/project

03' White Snake

Established Member
Haha I really hate it for us both then. Getting into some nicer weather here, but I'd rather be driving than doing this work.

Same thing. I pulled the motor out to re-degree the cams, found a bent/twisted crank key. So I am in full tear down mode now to have the crank double keyed. I am glad I caught it before it actually let go, that would have destroyed the motor.

2F82DDEA-6E3C-4856-AF40-3D1D1937A58F.jpeg
5D2A2B79-B330-4C5A-A700-F977C4243E73.jpeg
2AB70FAB-1357-4F7E-BBE4-D5EF4860C5F5.jpeg

hatchke

Established Member
Same thing. I pulled the motor out to re-degree the cams, found a bent/twisted crank key. So I am in full tear down mode now to have the crank double keyed. I am glad I caught it before it actually let go, that would have destroyed the motor.

Yikes, definitely glad you caught that one in time.

Managed a lot of organization last night and tearing down the oem motor, bagging/tagging bolts and parts. Got the transmission split from the bell housing and glad I'm using a new pivot, tob sleeve, etc. All of these parts looked quite worn down.

Engine mounts basically fell apart from the inside after pulling them off, so looks like i'm ordering some new ones, but otherwise pretty low drama evening.

I'll try to do the oil pan gasket on the new motor first and then it looks like i'm going to do a ton of parts cleaning, cleanup and painting. If I'm going through all this work i'm not going to throw on a coolant crossover pipe that has rust spots front and center.

hatchke

Established Member
Few updates here and there. Got most of the major accessories transferred to the new motor and have it all sealed back up.

Worked on the 26-spline input shaft today and got it alll shimmed correctly and the end play all set to the correct tolerance. I unfortunately wasn't happy with how the pilot bearing went in, so I pulled it back out and ordered a new one so i'm sitting on my hands for a few days until that gets in.

Next is the twin-disc clutch, sealing up the transmission and then putting all back together into a single unit. At that point i'll do the long tubes and it *should* be ready to drop back into the engine bay for me to hook up the rest of the accessories.

Making decent, but slow progress given i'm just doing some nights and a little each weekend but figure with this week being mostly a bust - I MIGHT have it all ready to drop back into the bay end of next week, trying to target maybe a first start the second weekend of April.

51966244795_a7fff44559_b.jpg

51965751793_170aa6083c_b.jpg

51965751718_66a5fa9f92_b.jpg

51965752883_1c475aaf23_b.jpg

hatchke

Established Member
Not the update I wanted, but is what it is. Around 3pm today a fire started around the side of the garage and engulfed the entire thing - car and every last thing in it.

I'll let insurance do their thing, but already planning on picking up another when I can actually stomach it again. I'm just thankful it only took the garage and was far enough away from the house to leave it untouched. Be safe out there y'all.

51970017481_93888c4953_b.jpg

51970017486_d20e4d4ea6_b.jpg

51970580875_5997699b44_b.jpg

And a new ad for Lethal Performance lol
51970308339_1cdda3783e_b.jpg

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Wow! Sorry for your loss, hopefully insurance covers everything. I am glad no one was hurt or worse. As an ex submariner, fire is my biggest fear.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ah shit! Man so sorry to see this. I hope your insurance treats you well, if they give you a hard time and don’t want to pay the correct values that you are insured for then call your state auditor. They helped me once on something that was no fault of ours( bad water main locate, power company drilled into it to place a new pole. 2 hours of waterfall and the quarter size rocks landing on the car)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

C2tuck

Established Member
Holy shit! Unfortunately, I’ve been there before, luckily no projects were in there, but it was a mess to deal with for sure.

As stated, get an independent appraiser if need be, I had to and won.

Any idea on what started it?

MG0h3

Established Member
Holy shit dude.

Start pulling ads off the internet to show current pricing. Maybe that could help

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
So sorry man, hope most things in there can be replaced. Terrible, one of my fears is this. At the very least, it's good you were documenting the work.

LS WUT

Established Member
Holy shit man. I am so sorry to see this. I’m glad nobody was hurt in the process. Keep your head up man, it will be okay. Keep us updated on it, and let us know if we can help at all.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wow...I'm not even sure what to say. You've been cruising along on the project, keeping us updated, passionate about the car, and then this. I'm so sorry this happened.

96dreamer

Established Member
That's devastating man. Been enjoying watch your progress on this. Hopefully insurance makes you whole on everything.

hatchke

Established Member
STILL waiting on my official settlement from USAA but they're treating me well tbh. They were basically right on market with good comps the first go around to net out ~28k on the car, refunding my sales tax ~2k and then the gap insurance I paid +6k.

During this process they told me they actually also cover/reimburse aftermarket parts up to a certain limit, as well as major maintenance done within the last year. I submitted a whole stack of receipts from the costs I incurred and should hear back from them within the next few days.

In the meantime....
52008078706_ae31c9d0da_b.jpg

52007056147_cafb4c1554_b.jpg

'04 with 54k miles and a really solid base for further modification. I'll break it down into the upcoming posts as there's some stuff to sort out and fix, but overall it's a MUCH better base. Body is a 9/10 with the most minor imperfections, interior is probably a 9.5/10.

hatchke

Established Member
Quick update here and at least give a quick rundown on what i'm working with.

Engine: (super basic right now)
- 2.7 metco upper w/ 100mm idler (lots of evidence of belt-slip on the factory idler pulleys) so I ordered billet idlers and will be replacing the belt with a new gates).
- JLT RAI, BBK catless-x, Borla stinger catback (loud, but it's fine for now)
- KMJ 200 Amp Alternator
- Tune seems appropriate, it's looking like mid-11's at WOT. Even still I don't really trust a tune that a vehicle came with.

Driveline:
- McLeod RXT 26-spline
- Lethal input
- MGW shifter

Rear: (this is where it's interesting)
- Strange built 35-spline SRA w/ axle tubes welded
- Team-Z full 8.8 welded reinforcements
- UPR adjustable lower/upper control arms
- UPR viking rear coils
- FRPP 3.73's

Interior:
Autometer cobalt gauges - wideband, voltage, coolant temp and boost
Audio stuff - nakamichi touch screen, two kicker 10's, etc.

The shitty things:
- Currently has a spool (lol): so I have a 35-spline Strange s-trac coming in tomorrow to swap that out. If it still just completely sucks i'll drive it like it is for a while and then find a IRS to build and swap in.
- Clutch isn't adjusted right: TOB is squealing like crazy, so new FRPP TOB coming in, as well as a firewall adjuster, quadrant, mm pedal placement adjuster and an adjustable McLeod pivot ball (also might go ahead and get a TOB sleeve and fork too, since there's no telling when they were done)
- The two 10's feel excessive to me given the lack of trunk in the 'verts anyway, so I might swap to a single 12 box and and make an easily removable single setup.
- Evidence of prior paint work and it's quite hard to tell how much or where yet. When I get to detailing I might have a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread