2003 Cobra - New restoration/project

hatchke

Established Member
Glad you got into a new ride. Can't wait to follow along with this one. Best of luck.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Parts should start rolling in this week for a few odds and ends to really drive it more. Unfortunately i'm having to farm out some of the initial work until the garage is done and I get my tool situation rebuilt.

That part probably hurts worse than the car itself lol. I didn't have a TON of nice tools, but my snap-on torque wrenches and torqueometer were legit pride and joy tools that I used so much. Between those, my Hobart welder, air compressor and air tools I had a pretty solid collection.

Anyway, the Strange S-trac is supposed to be in today so I'll at least be dropping the spool soon and trying to get this clutch adjusted properly.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Couple small things came in earlier than expected so hit up some visuals and made a pretty big difference.

51827572595_603262abe2_b.jpg

51827043046_0a2187f5c9_b.jpg

The not as good. Looks like i'm going to use some bumper plugs for the meantime and then get this bumper refilled and then resprayed. SIX holes for a front plate? I think not.

51827160888_3f668933ae_b.jpg

There's a shop around the corner that does a pretty good job of smaller jobs so I don't think it'd be too bad so have this taken care of. Also not as high on the priority list just yet.

Plugs should be in tomorrow sometime and i'll get around to a quick compression/motor health check, oil change and then i'll dig in more.

Looks like a nice find.
Just a heads up, without a helmet and proper harness, an actual rollbar is super dangerous. I got rear-ended years ago and cracked my head open. I slid right up the leather seat and my head smacked off the padded rollbar. I had a long piece of rollbar padding there "for safety", but that didn't do shit.

And if you roll the car over with a rollbar, and normal seatbelt, that bar isn't gonna do shit to save your face.

Just something to keep in mind.

hatchke

Established Member
Looks like a nice find.
Just a heads up, without a helmet and proper harness, an actual rollbar is super dangerous. I got rear-ended years ago and cracked my head open. I slid right up the leather seat and my head smacked off the padded rollbar. I had a long piece of rollbar padding there "for safety", but that didn't do shit.

And if you roll the car over with a rollbar, and normal seatbelt, that bar isn't gonna do shit to save your face.

Just something to keep in mind.

Duly noted and thanks for chiming in - in that case maybe i'll just get a style bar for the general look. I honestly didn't really consider the danger aspect of that and just thought about some rollover protection.

hatchke

Established Member
Definitely made a few moves over the last little bit and made some decisions on where the car is going to go and actually get to do the build that I had planned on doing the first time around so here we go:

- The crown jewel - Whipple 2.9 non-crusher (w/ 3.5" and a 3.25")
- Lethal performance budget plus return system - just went with the base twin Walbro 255's since they'll get me where I want to go
- FRPP 80's
- Accufab sbtb
- SCT BA3000
- Billetflow idlers (just put them on today)
- JLT High boost intake
- MM FLSFC
- Strange 35-spline s-trac (long story here, but i'll explain when it's done)
- Lethal head cooling mod

In the process of cleaning up the BBK long tubes I had from before and they're turning out pretty nice actually, even after the fire. Anyway, plan is to just build a fun street car to compliment the M4, crack 600whp (I don't really care where it lands honestly, maybe 650ish would be cool?) on 93 and generally have a good time.

I haven't settled on tuning yet, but I have a bunch of work ahead of me anyway. After the fire I don't even have half the tools I need to do any of this work, so as parts come in i'll be starting to restock the garage essentials.

Edit: Does anyone see anything i'm missing as far as the big things go? I'm planning on addressing cooling when I actually get to do the Whipple install and do a larger tank and h/e at least.

Obviously need the finishing bits like a belt, spark plugs, etc, but I feel like I have my bases covered pretty well given it's already a 26-spline car with a McLeod RXT

Last edited:

hatchke

Established Member
I need to add some pics to this thing haha. Sitting in front of the future home again.

52026649254_169652f9e9_b.jpg

Strange 35-spline. #beefy
52026917415_dc1b6a2cea_b.jpg

52025364637_3975442d4f_b.jpg

Nice piece from Accuffab
52026439038_f0eff41655_b.jpg

This should flow pretty well
52025364677_44a819f115_b.jpg

Billetflow idlers all installed. I wish the aux idler was the same brand, butttt that's not super important to me right now. Just didn't seem worth the cost of switching.

52025364667_a7ecd6313a_b.jpg

hatchke

Established Member
#whippletheworld
52036281088_b9b90feb9b_b.jpg

My SO is actually going to kill me in my sleep at some point
52035192847_7360924ba3_b.jpg

Complete fuel system, all new DeWalt stuff (have a LOT of tools to replace), single-blade throttle body, JLT intake and Whipple over on the floor in the corner. Table started to not be too happy with the weight of everything.

hatchke

Established Member
Little bitty updates - dropped the car to get the S-trac installed and subframe connectors to get welded in. Pained me, but going to have the TOB done and have the clutch all set correctly.

I just won't have a garage for another month or so and i'm a little antsy.

Parts/tools pile
52056811941_daca7d9c77_b.jpg

MM control arms are NICE.
52055739122_647ffb0203_b.jpg

I went ahead and ordered MM coilovers with Koni SA to do with the control arms. This way I figure when I drop the K to do the headers I can reinstall everything with a bunch of new components to make it a little easier (maybe more fun too)

Also got some MADD Retrofitted headlights which I really do enjoy. I was very worried they would modernize the chassis too much but they're quite subtle IMO

52057272855_18912d693b_b.jpg

52056815863_6456f13e3c_b.jpg

Also just a TOUCH of fun. I'm leaving the interior all left alone besides this.

52055738697_c276400803_b.jpg

Also! New toolboxes coming in
52056861873_cd5ab95468_b.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a loaded toolbox, Mike! She fits pretty well. LOL. Seriously, though, that's a great toolbox. What brand is it?

hatchke

Established Member
That's a loaded toolbox, Mike! She fits pretty well. LOL. Seriously, though, that's a great toolbox. What brand is it?

Haha thanks, it's a Husky actually. They became pretty hard to beat for the money and has all these niceties like embedded power strips, usb chargers and everything in the to box and then along side the bottom box (which has yet to make it)

03' White Snake

Established Member
Haha thanks, it's a Husky actually. They became pretty hard to beat for the money and has all these niceties like embedded power strips, usb chargers and everything in the to box and then along side the bottom box (which has yet to make it)

I have the same one, but the black version for the last few years. I like it. I bought trays from the dollar store for inside the draws to hold screw drivers, small pliers etc from sliding all over in the draws. Works really well.

hatchke

Established Member
I have the same one, but the black version for the last few years. I like it. I bought trays from the dollar store for inside the draws to hold screw drivers, small pliers etc from sliding all over in the draws. Works really well.

Ah nice, i'll have to do the same. I just got me lower box in yesterday. The irony of giant toolboxes and not enough tools to fill it out yet. It'll be a slow roll for sure.

Updates on my side:
- TOB replaced with the FRPP piece. Just like I thought, it just wasn't adjusted correctly. Did the FRPP firewall adjuster and MM quadrant as welll.
- Cobra is current over at Carma Performance and got the MM subframe connectors installed.
- Ran into quite a problem with the 35-spline s-trac install as I didn't even CONSIDER the fact that the spool would use different length axles :facepalm:
- Had to order an entire new set of 35-spline Strange axles with c-slip eliminators, reluctor wheels and studs that are the correct length. They're saying 2-3 wheels on delivery there which is.. less than ideal.

Here's been one of my favorite parts so far though. Started off as joke that I was going to spitefully use a part from the old Burninator on the new car but check out how these headers cleaned up.

52066079318_a8b8e6ce63_b.jpg

52066297164_f78585a43d_b.jpg

52065021612_92e0c21df9_b.jpg

Soaked them in a huge tub of evaporust for a few days, scrubbed clean, degreased, prepped and then sprayed with:
- VHT flameproof high temp primer
- VHT flameproof flat silver
- I also have a flameproof clear coat that i'll use on top.

Seems like people have mixed results with this stuff, but it couldn't be worse than they were so I don't really care that much. Sure look good right now!

motoo344

Established Member
That is nice that you were able to salvage that stuff from the fire. Makes it even more unique.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Ah nice, i'll have to do the same. I just got me lower box in yesterday. The irony of giant toolboxes and not enough tools to fill it out yet. It'll be a slow roll for sure.

Updates on my side:
- TOB replaced with the FRPP piece. Just like I thought, it just wasn't adjusted correctly. Did the FRPP firewall adjuster and MM quadrant as welll.
- Cobra is current over at Carma Performance and got the MM subframe connectors installed.
- Ran into quite a problem with the 35-spline s-trac install as I didn't even CONSIDER the fact that the spool would use different length axles :facepalm:
- Had to order an entire new set of 35-spline Strange axles with c-slip eliminators, reluctor wheels and studs that are the correct length. They're saying 2-3 wheels on delivery there which is.. less than ideal.

Here's been one of my favorite parts so far though. Started off as joke that I was going to spitefully use a part from the old Burninator on the new car but check out how these headers cleaned up.

52066079318_a8b8e6ce63_b.jpg

52066297164_f78585a43d_b.jpg

52065021612_92e0c21df9_b.jpg

Soaked them in a huge tub of evaporust for a few days, scrubbed clean, degreased, prepped and then sprayed with:
- VHT flameproof high temp primer
- VHT flameproof flat silver
- I also have a flameproof clear coat that i'll use on top.

Seems like people have mixed results with this stuff, but it couldn't be worse than they were so I don't really care that much. Sure look good right now!

Just check the flanges are flat and I don’t see why they can’t be used. They look great.

hatchke

Established Member
Some minor updates:

- Had a huge debacle with the rear-end and axle situation. The axles that are used with the spool are about an inch too sort for when used with a 35-spline rear differential like my Strange S-trac.
- No big deal I thought, ordered some new axles, c-clip eliminators, reluctor wheels and studs all pressed in for my rear diff. Not cheap, but also no alternatives so dropped ~780 on axles shipped.
- Got them in and they're the same axles I had in the spool lol.
- Called Strange and after a lot of back and forth, the correct length units should have arrived Tuesday and I am imagining having the car back tomorrow.

Had the TOB replaced at the same time with the FRPP piece since whatever was used prior was never adjusted correctly and really trashed that bearing. Paired that with a firewall adjuster and an aluminum quadrant.

The main thing I had it in the shop for anyway was to get subframe connectors welded in from MM, which i'm pretty excited for. Hopefully some pics to tomorrow here soon.

I'm pretty salty about having to use a shop for part of the work, but the garage progress is still moving SO slow. I'll have to post up some pics of that front as well.

LS WUT

Established Member
Some minor updates:

- Had a huge debacle with the rear-end and axle situation. The axles that are used with the spool are about an inch too sort for when used with a 35-spline rear differential like my Strange S-trac.
- No big deal I thought, ordered some new axles, c-clip eliminators, reluctor wheels and studs all pressed in for my rear diff. Not cheap, but also no alternatives so dropped ~780 on axles shipped.
- Got them in and they're the same axles I had in the spool lol.
- Called Strange and after a lot of back and forth, the correct length units should have arrived Tuesday and I am imagining having the car back tomorrow.

Had the TOB replaced at the same time with the FRPP piece since whatever was used prior was never adjusted correctly and really trashed that bearing. Paired that with a firewall adjuster and an aluminum quadrant.

The main thing I had it in the shop for anyway was to get subframe connectors welded in from MM, which i'm pretty excited for. Hopefully some pics to tomorrow here soon.

I'm pretty salty about having to use a shop for part of the work, but the garage progress is still moving SO slow. I'll have to post up some pics of that front as well.
Thanks for the update man. Keep your head up! It will all be worth it

hatchke

Established Member
52159128520_cdb4f084aa_b.jpg

So it goes haha. Idling while waiting for HVAC guys to show up at my SO's place for 20-25min and out of nowhere heard a *pop* and rpm's started to hesitate a little and then got a whole bunch of awful cyclical screeching a second after. Sound is pretty central to the motor.

I let it go on for a min while thinking through possibilities, I notice the aftermarket temp gauge was a touch hotter than usual. It's pretty sensitive being in 10deg increments, so I got close up on it and sure enough the gauge was starting to sweep around and up slowly.

Killed the car, cranked the heat, popped the hood and let it start cooling off. I looked in at the water pump but don't see anything from the weep holes and it didn't leak any coolant anywhere that I can see.

Towed it on home since I was about 30min away and didn't want to take chances.

Started the car to get it off the wrecker and it wasn't making the sound anymore which was very confusing. Upon turning the a/c back on it immediately started making the same racket, and then continued after I turned the a/c back off.

I let it get back to operating temp and then watched the gauge start to sweep up, so just turned it all back off.

Signs point to water pump given the cooling, but if it is, it didn't really fail in a way that i'd have expected. The other confusing aspect is the noise doesn't start back up immediately when the car is cool. If I turn the a/c on, it'll trigger the noise OR if the car is at operating temp it'll make the same noise. The noise is also definitely cyclical and tied to engine speed.

I went ahead and ordered a water pump, accessory belt and tensioner. Not wildly excited about digging into it, but I don't really know how to diagnose this with 100% certainty besides what i've already done.

Users who are viewing this thread