2003 Cobra - New restoration/project

hatchke

Established Member
No big updates here, just picked up a new Viking DA rear shock since my coilover collars are frozen on the passenger rear. Also lowered the front down a little more and it's about perfect now imo.

52799040715_2381168d8d_b.jpg

52795329029_40050cbc49_b.jpg

03' White Snake

Established Member
No big updates here, just picked up a new Viking DA rear shock since my coilover collars are frozen on the passenger rear. Also lowered the front down a little more and it's about perfect now imo.

52799040715_2381168d8d_b.jpg

52795329029_40050cbc49_b.jpg
Nice, looks good!!

How do the Viking rear C/O ride? Thinking about picking up a set as my Tokico D spec’s cannot be converted to C/O’s.

hatchke

Established Member
Nice, looks good!!

How do the Viking rear C/O ride? Thinking about picking up a set as my Tokico D spec’s cannot be converted to C/O’s.

Honestly, it's really hard to give you a straight answer. I have a pretty built SRA that has upper and lower control arms with spherical bushings so the ride is pretty rough. I honestly haven't played around with the settings on them much either. They come with pretty good guidance on settings but i'll try to mess with them more once I get the height settled. I haven't been able to adjust the right rear and the left rear is just a little too low.

When I got the car, the rear had way too much rebound and was super bouncy. I zeroed them both out and it smoothed out a lot but it's so hard to know how they'd be with a different rear setup.

Overall i'm glad to have them. They're awfully easy to adjust and i'll have to crank the height up/down depending on which rear tire setup i'm running. My 15x10's are super tall so it's gotta come up a bit.

03' White Snake

Established Member
They rode great in my silver cobra, but were noisey when compressing/rebounding
My D-Specs are only single adjustable, they ride good with the H&R race springs. I want a little more height and more adjustment to stop the occasional rubbing over big bumps. Since I can’t convert the D specs, means I need new shocks, looking into MM or the Vikings. I’ve only really seen people running the Vikings in the drag cars, so not sure how they ride on the street.

I’d be interested in hearing how Hatchke’s rides after playing with some settings. My D specs, 1/4-1/2 turn you can feel the difference, and how the car squats on the street (not launching it).

wckdvnm

Established Member
My D-Specs are only single adjustable, they ride good with the H&R race springs. I want a little more height and more adjustment to stop the occasional rubbing over big bumps. Since I can’t convert the D specs, means I need new shocks, looking into MM or the Vikings. I’ve only really seen people running the Vikings in the drag cars, so not sure how they ride on the street.

I’d be interested in hearing how Hatchke’s rides after playing with some settings. My D specs, 1/4-1/2 turn you can feel the difference, and how the car squats on the street (not launching it).

BC RACING also makes a kit for our cars but you’d need to know the spring rates you’d want to run. Their kit is $1,195 for front and rear together. They may be able to make a set of their higher level shocks but you probably would need to ask.

Now big money and haven’t heard much experience on is the Feal kit. Would love to hear about them as they can get wild in customization and price from $1,449 to $6400 spec’d out.

hatchke

Established Member
Eh, **** it. Sometimes I make weird decisions. As I kicked around the idea of a Gen5 3.0 whipple I saw this.

53023051391_1246e06d40_b.jpg

53023445625_b6cfa863e8_b.jpg

I've always wanted a turbo Cobra and a pretty complete HP racing kit popped up locally that needs some love. I did as much research as I could find on these kits when they were being produced still, but at the price I felt like it was worth the work.

Seems like the company went out of business a pretty good time ago, but for the people that got their kits, they seemed to work pretty well. Turbo placement is down pretty low. which I assume means the piping is similar to hellion in that regard and tucks underneath the k-member.

Some of the lower hot side is rough and needs some love, but the turbos are fresh Garrett 60 trim t3/T04E rebuilds and has all the components from TiAL wastgates down to the feed, return lines, fittings and scavenge pump. I'll end up replacing components i'm sure, but $1500 for the setup - it's a start.

Otherwise, obviously I'll need the normal turbo setup stuff like the n/a intake manifold, alternator, etc. etc. but i'll slowly start piecing it together and see how serious I get about it. Oh, and finally a reason to up my injectors from the FRPP 80lbs too lol. Definitely not enough injector for whatever this setup would make.

LS WUT

Established Member
Eh, **** it. Sometimes I make weird decisions. As I kicked around the idea of a Gen5 3.0 whipple I saw this.

I've always wanted a turbo Cobra and a pretty complete HP racing kit popped up locally that needs some love. I did as much research as I could find on these kits when they were being produced still, but at the price I felt like it was worth the work.

Seems like the company went out of business a pretty good time ago, but for the people that got their kits, they seemed to work pretty well. Turbo placement is down pretty low. which I assume means the piping is similar to hellion in that regard and tucks underneath the k-member.

Some of the lower hot side is rough and needs some love, but the turbos are fresh Garrett 60 trim t3/T04E rebuilds and has all the components from TiAL wastgates down to the feed, return lines, fittings and scavenge pump. I'll end up replacing components i'm sure, but $1500 for the setup - it's a start.

Otherwise, obviously I'll need the normal turbo setup stuff like the n/an intake manifold, alternator, etc. etc. but i'll slowly start piecing it together and see how serious I get about it. Oh, and finally a reason to up my injectors from the FRPP 80lbs too lol. Definitely not enough injector for whatever this setup would make.
You’re my ****ing hero. Just wanted to let you know this. Help ya boy out and help me with your whipple :)

01yellercobra

Established Member

Otherwise, obviously I'll need the normal turbo setup stuff like the n/a intake manifold, alternator, etc. etc. but i'll slowly start piecing it together and see how serious I get about it. Oh, and finally a reason to up my injectors from the FRPP 80lbs too lol. Definitely not enough injector for whatever this setup would make.
Back in the day that was the kit I wanted. It just looks like a CAI under the hood. I think the only giveaway was the intercooler and BOV's peaking behind the grill opening.

Oh, and turbos don't need as much fuel system as a blower.

hatchke

Established Member
Back in the day that was the kit I wanted. It just looks like a CAI under the hood. I think the only giveaway was the intercooler and BOV's peaking behind the grill opening.

Oh, and turbos don't need as much fuel system as a blower.

That's really interesting on the fueling. Without doing ANY research, how does that work? I was about to run out of injector on E85 with my 2.9 so I assumed i'd at least need to step up to 1050x to support more power.

Edit: thinking more, is this due to the fact that the superchargers require actual load/engine power to continue spinning them vs. the "free" boost that turbos create? I guess then making superchargers less fuel efficient. Still, from a power perspective, say I wanted to crack 800whp, I might be able to get by with injectors that were maxed out at 700whp on the 2.9?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's really interesting on the fueling. Without doing ANY research, how does that work? I was about to run out of injector on E85 with my 2.9 so I assumed i'd at least need to step up to 1050x to support more power.

Edit: thinking more, is this due to the fact that the superchargers require actual load/engine power to continue spinning them vs. the "free" boost that turbos create? I guess then making superchargers less fuel efficient. Still, from a power perspective, say I wanted to crack 800whp, I might be able to get by with injectors that were maxed out at 700whp on the 2.9?
Yep. The blower takes power to turn. The turbos are still a restriction, but not nearly as bad as a blower. So a 700hp system on a blower will probably clear 800 on a turbo.

Don't forget that usually a good turbo kit will make more power at the same boost level.

hatchke

Established Member
Yep. The blower takes power to turn. The turbos are still a restriction, but not nearly as bad as a blower. So a 700hp system on a blower will probably clear 800 on a turbo.

Don't forget that usually a good turbo kit will make more power at the same boost level.

Very interesting, that's all something I hadn't considered at all. I *might* still upgrade to some 1050x to give myself some room, but it'd be awfully nice to be able to stick to the injectors that I already have

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd upgrade just because I like the 1050's better than the 80's. I've ran both and personally will never run 80's again. I just wanted to point that out about the fuel system.

I've been tuning with FIC's recently and they're pretty nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread