1995 Cobra R’s are being Forgotten

JohnW#88

Established Member
First, now which one of you presented this 00R? It is nice.
WG2012n.gif

It's mine. Thanks.

I'm the 2nd owner and the first took great care of her. Just rolled over 900 miles.

darcysheppard

Established Member
I finally have my ex-IMSA 1995 Cobra R back on the road. I still need to address a couple things to have it track ready so in the mean time I’ve been hitting the local cruise/cars and coffee type gatherings with it. It is becoming very evident that the 1995 R’s are being forgotten. Maybe it’s because they are approaching 20 years old now and most of the people don’t know what a 1995 Cobra R is. Maybe it’s because Ford has been producing some pretty amazing cars for the last several years. Either way it is very clear that the vast majority of the people have little to no interest. Every once in a while there will be guy with a puzzled look on his face who will ask, “is this a Cobra R?” Other than that, practically invisible…

This is what happens when their are so RARE and collectors buy them up and park them in a garage there only a total of 657 Rs built 93+95+2000, they are so rare they are never seen and not eveybody knows what they are. I have a 00 R with 26 MILE still in plastic with none of the Defects. It gets a ton of Attention and almost everybody knows what it is. The only time i have to explain what the car is when i go to a non Mustang event. that is why i have stopped going to any car show other then a mustang event. Hang in there these cars will come around. look at the cars from the 60's and what their drivability was like and the power is equal to that of a fast stock 90-93 5.0 and they still bring in big $$$, so i dont beleive the big power is killing the value i beleive it was the uneducated. also the base $. The 2000 R had a price of just under 55k in 2000 the 2013 GT 500 is the same $. where i am goin with this is that there were only 300 r's made and there were stoies of them sellingfor as much as 30-40 k over list. who could afford that in 2000??. Now with the soft economy and hudge power everyone is buying the fast cars, once the Goverment steps in and says enough which they will, come on 650 hp stock in a Mustang, they will resort back to RARE stuff, ie the R's. i am young so i dont really remember the 80s but my father tellls me you could but shelbys 350 and 500's in the early 80s for cheap, now look at them.

Any way dont give up on them they will come around and i would love to buy a low mile 95 and 93, but have to sell some things first.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thank gosh I saved the original battery out of the "R";-)

A couple of months ago I sold a Motorcraft BX 58C battery core (very nice condition), correct for 1993/1995 Cobra R for $150 plus shipping. It is always nice to have/keep "everything" that was correct for these cars. No, that battery won't start a car, but it sure looks Great in the corner of the engine compartment when the MCA judge is marking his/her clipboard while standing in front of "your" engine compartment. :thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member
This is what happens when their are so RARE there only a total of 657 Rs built 93+95+2000 and ford releases the hood and wings and rims for aftermarket, they are so rare they are never seen and not eveybody knows what they are. I have a 00 R with 26 MILE still in plastic with none of the Defects. It gets a ton of Attention and almost everybody knows what it is. The only time i do have to explain what the car is when i go to a non Mustang event. that is why i have stopped going to any car show other then a mustang event.

Any way dont give up on them they will come around and i would love to buy a low mile 95 and 93, but have to sell some things first.

I take it you bought one of bearsnakes cobra r's...Probably at auction last year? You do realize it is more rare to have an R with actual mileage on them. I myself am also young and own one of these cars. When I first bought my car, I rarely drove it as I purchased it with 645 miles. I realized how much fun these cars are now and why everyone raves about driving them. Now my car is over 2500 miles and I am not regretting one thing about it. Drive it and enjoy it. These cars sitting around doing nothing is terrible.

My dad owned the lowest mileage 427 cobra for over 20 years. That car had 735 miles on it when he sold it a few years back. We had to drive it 3 miles to where the shipping company came to pick it up. In that 3 mile drive, the car lost all break pressure and the pedal went to the floor along with the radiator busting and smoke pouring out everywhere.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I take it you bought one of bearsnakes cobra r's...Probably at auction last year? You do realize it is more rare to have an R with actual mileage on them. I myself am also young and own one of these cars. When I first bought my car, I rarely drove it as I purchased it with 645 miles. I realized how much fun these cars are now and why everyone raves about driving them. Now my car is over 2500 miles and I am not regretting one thing about it. Drive it and enjoy it. These cars sitting around doing nothing is terrible.

:rockon:

That's the right attitude! :beer:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
I'm doing my part to get the values up :). #53 finished second in the sprint race at Mid Ohio Sunday. That's two podium finishes in a row. We would have finished second overall in the enduro on Saturday but got burned on a double yellow that came out right after Debbie passed pit in. Next Stop, Road America in July. Yellow #74 was also a top 5 car in both races this past weekend. My R is at the paint shop and will be on the track before year end. Both cars got a lot of attention by spectators this weekend.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I know its not a '95 but I parked next to this today... I don't think it was real but thought I'd show you all anyway. First 'maybe' R I've seen around here.

photo.gif

MrBonus

Established Member
The 1995 and 2000 R were my inspiration to purchase my LS. I remember being in college when the 2000 was released and I could only dream of being able to afford one. I still poke over to this forum to look at pics; I still don't think I've ever seen one of either in real life. Some day...

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
DRIVE IT !!!!!!! They are a blast to drive.

Absolutely !!

I've got 39,975 on my R !!!

The 1995 and 2000 R were my inspiration to purchase my LS. I remember being in college when the 2000 was released and I could only dream of being able to afford one. I still poke over to this forum to look at pics; I still don't think I've ever seen one of either in real life. Some day...

I consider myself lucky to own both. :bowdown:

And I just got back from two days of open track at Watkins Glen with the LS.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I consider myself lucky to own both. And I just got back from two days of open track at Watkins Glen with the LS.
Hey Dave,
You got lucky because you earned it. :-D

Now, how does the LS feel on the track? Have you experienced any heat issues? Are the wheels stock? What tires are you using?
----

I don't mind pushing Gary out of the closest. ;-)

The #53 is a 5.3L. It's driven well by the owner. She will go down into a braking zone further than any guy. She is last year's "Rookie of the Year" in vintage. She is getting really better. ;-)

The #74 is a stock 4.6 engine. :eek: You'll note how it gets forward bite while the rear seems to move around (front springs are tight--more lbs./in.- and the rear springs are loose, with a good shock package). The front tires are tucked under the wheel-well while the rear tires seem to be a bit higher.
GJM-1.gif

It's just that most SN95 cars work well this way.

Oh, the driver of the #74 is not a rookie. He put a 1967 Camaro on the pole (and won the race) in a vintage event at Daytona about ~10 years ago.
GBa.gif

Gary said:
I'm doing my part to get the values up.
Gary,
Just saying. You have the drivers'. You could win four championships this year in Cobra Motorola Cup cars (two in HSR, two in SVRA).

That would say that they are "never forgotten". :read: :-D

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Like I said Doc, I'm doing my part :). I picked up my Red 99 Cobra body from my buddies at MPS today. I told them about two weeks ago that I needed a red 99 body to build a clone of the Coca Cola Multi Matic Motorola Cup car that was destroyed during the 99 season. They called me and told me they had a Red 99 Cobra come in and for me to come and get it.......Project starts tomorrow......In the meantime my 95R is being painted right now and should be at the Savannah HSR event at the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread