1995 Cobra R’s are being Forgotten

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I finally have my ex-IMSA 1995 Cobra R back on the road. I still need to address a couple things to have it track ready so in the mean time I’ve been hitting the local cruise/cars and coffee type gatherings with it. It is becoming very evident that the 1995 R’s are being forgotten. Maybe it’s because they are approaching 20 years old now and most of the people don’t know what a 1995 Cobra R is. Maybe it’s because Ford has been producing some pretty amazing cars for the last several years. Either way it is very clear that the vast majority of the people have little to no interest. Every once in a while there will be guy with a puzzled look on his face who will ask, “is this a Cobra R?” Other than that, practically invisible…

9secondlx

Established Member
i get the same thing with my 95r. people have no idea or they think its a regular mustang with the rims and hood.

this is evident on the current market price as well.

I would think now is a good time to buy one. down the road these will apreciate. i think at this price level its a great long time investment plus fun to own.

they are hidden gems.

I remember when my dad was buying 427 cobra's for $20k late 70's early 80'sish. i think he traded one for a gullwing mercedes.

just takes time.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
i get the same thing with my 95r. people have no idea or they think its a regular mustang with the rims and hood.

I would think now is a good time to buy one. down the road these will apreciate. i think at this price level its a great long time investment plus fun to own.

they are hidden gems.

I remember when my dad was buying 427 cobra's for $20k late 70's early 80'sish. i think he traded one for a gullwing mercedes.

just takes time.

So in the late 70's, let's say at 15 years old + or -, a 427 Cobra had already doubled+ (maybe tripled) beyond it's original price?

^^^^^That was Great!............but at the current 95R prices (at 17-18 years old), it will take quite a few years more for a 95R to even get back to it's original $38K MSRP, and then move upward from that point.

It is great to see the advancements in performance over the last few years, but I agree that it has left some of the cooler cars, like the R's, maybe not the 2000R, but the 93 and 95R's in a forgotten world. It is sad to think that 400hp is on the low end of the performance spectrum and anything less than that is..........well.........I don't even want to go there. I'll just say it is sad..........Just think, when people talk about a 300hp Mustang, they think V6 now!?!?

R

Last edited:

flattrack53

Established Member

they are hidden gems.

just takes time.

Back in the late 80's you could pick up a 65r for close to a 100k. I remember when they were selling for over a million. Now you can find them for 650k + or -. I personally think you are going to see these cars go down in value quite a bit as the generation that relates to the cars from this era get older and want to sell them.

One thing that will keep the 93r, 95r, 00r well known is video games. Have you ever seen the xbox video game called forza 4? It has all 3 of these cars in there.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
i would lvoe to get a 95 R have even consodered selling or trading my 68 CJ torino for one they are great cars and amazing cars

Joe

bret a ewing

Established Member
Gotta tell ya, the '95R is one great car on the track, just drove 6 WGI open track sessions and this thing is every bit as fun as any other car i have driven. Right out of the box (the car has 400miles) this car is set up right. It would be a shame for the next gen NOT to experience what this car was made for.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I finally have my ex-IMSA 1995 Cobra R back on the road.
We need pictures. :-D You should start it's own thread.

Maybe it’s because Ford has been producing some pretty amazing cars for the last several years.
This. It's clear to me that my 5.0L Coyote is faster in short bursts than my 95R.

But the 95R could just hold back a bit and wait until the new car overheated (a common complaint for this car--heck, it wasn't built for the track).

The new car has depreciated more in less than two years than the "collector car" has in over ten years. The insurance and registration on the new car is X4 than the car with the authentic Roush engine. ;-)

I've been accumulating spare parts for mine. I'd like to see them "forgotten" a little longer. :coolman:

...the '95R is one great car on the track, just drove 6 WGI open track sessions and this thing is every bit as fun as any other car i have driven.
And you were looking good out there. We were paddocked at T-1. Your car was hitting that apex well and powering up the hill.

Bret,
What was your favorite SAAC car? There were a few. :-D A few Shelby GT350/GT500's and Shelby Cobra's caught me eye.

I think my favorite may have been that black 1969 Boss 429 under one of the tents. It was perfect (better than new). I found out that an original Boss 429 battery (in the trunk) is just $15,000. I heard that the car was worth $325,000? :uh oh:

There were 857 Boss 429's (and another 1934 Boss 302's) made in 1969.

And they think that they are rare? :eek: :-D

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
You can thank that to the new cars for sure, with a stock 305hp base model 3.7 liter v6 mustang 300hp out of a 5.8 liter 351 c.i v8 stock doesnt seem so impressive today in 2012, esp when its a top of the line cobra r with same hp as a current new base v6 and chevy makes 314hp out of a base model v6, and nissan making 332hp out of n/a v6 370z 's etc, and chevy making 275-350 hp out of the base corvette c5 and camaro z28/ ss lt1's and ls1's from 1993-2002 hell

300hp wasnt even that impressive for back in 1995 even, pretty good horsepower back then stock, but thats what vettes and supras and all the top of the line cars made back then, even in regular production lt1 and ls1 camaros for all them years.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
^ It was not the HP but the torque that really made the difference over other cars, even by todays standards. 360lbft is a more than the current crop of V6 cars and the 370z. Most racing classes have a hp/wt ratio not tq/wt.

brianz426

Established Member
It's just a matter of time guys. Everything goes through cycles (cars, art, music, real estate, toys, etc.) and these R cars are at or near the bottom (hard to gage the 93's so few cars and transactions). One day we'll look back and say "remember when the 95's were in the low $20's. These cars also have well televised race history that will probably not be repeated anytime in the future by any other manufacturer. I hope things stay this way a little while longer, maybe I'll be able to get 2 more so I have one for each of my kids. If anyone is considering one of these cars I wouldn't wait. There are less than 250 95's and less than 300 of the '00 R's. When they start to go up...:uh oh: it will be quick.

In the mean time I'm really enjoying my car. I agree with Bret, had mine out for both sessions at the Glen and had blast. I've been in faster and slower cars but there's something about these cars.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
They are coming up on 20 years old which is when many cars bottom out. I hope they stay down for a few more years. I have a few select examples on my "radar" I would like to get.

With only 250 they will come back. All it will take is a little publicity or a magazine article or two to start the momentum.

Tom

flattrack53

Established Member
What it needs is a 65r,93r,95r,00r on the cover of some magazines as a group shot. That would do it ;)

Last edited:

bret a ewing

Established Member
We need pictures. :-D You should start it's own thread.

This. It's clear to me that my 5.0L Coyote is faster in short bursts than my 95R.

But the 95R could just hold back a bit and wait until the new car overheated (a common complaint for this car--heck, it wasn't built for the track).

The new car has depreciated more in less than two years than the "collector car" has in over ten years. The insurance and registration on the new car is X4 than the car with the authentic Roush engine. ;-)

I've been accumulating spare parts for mine. I'd like to see them "forgotten" a little longer. :coolman:

And you were looking good out there. We were paddocked at T-1. Your car was hitting that apex well and powering up the hill.

Bret,
What was your favorite SAAC car? There were a few. :-D A few Shelby GT350/GT500's and Shelby Cobra's caught me eye.

I think my favorite may have been that black 1969 Boss 429 under one of the tents. It was perfect (better than new). I found out that an original Boss 429 battery (in the trunk) is just $15,000. I heard that the car was worth $325,000? :uh oh:

There were 857 Boss 429's (and another 1934 Boss 302's) made in 1969.

And they think that they are rare? :eek: :-D

Hehehe, we sure did have fun out there, thanks to the respect among the guys on the track, it was a safe quality event.

The Boss 3's and 9's have always been at the top of my list. To see the best examples of each, well that alone is worth going to a SAAC event. I did spend a lot of time looking at the 3Dog Garage racing coupe, tons of technology and superior workmanship went into that car.
But when I look at the GT40's......................................:)
The 9 battery, @ VIR last year some guy was trying to sell just the caps for $2k, sheesh. Thank gosh I saved the original battery out of the "R";-)

brianz426

Established Member
So Brian, what you are saying is.....I need to buy a 95r now?

Yes, If the magazine cover shot happens...... Seriously I hoping for 3-5 years of this market. Like Tom, my radar is on.

What it needs is a 65r,93r,95r,00r on the cover of some magazines as a group shot. That would do it ;)

So lets put this off for a couple years if we can.;-)

JohnW#88

Established Member
What many have is the shiny new toy syndrome. If you ask me, the latest, greatest, 600+ hp cars have everyone’s attention not the mid-late 90’s cars.

Couple things,

I think the R’s may continue to drop in price. In doing so, many I predict will end-up in non-collectors hands and may end up like 00R #82 with its 4 shades of red. As prices fall, more R’s will fall in to questionable repair and the good ones will demand huge coin down the road. All the R’s WILL be super collectable in the future. There are just not that darn many of them and a whole bunch of US looking for them!

Forgotten? No, I don't think so.

Wherever I go I’m met with, “Is it real?” or an “I’ve never seen one in person” type comment. The R tends to draw a crowd while sitting in a Home Depot lot, the gas station or a Ford meet.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
First, now which one of you presented this 00R? It is nice.
WG2012n.gif

^ It was not the HP but the torque that really made the difference over other cars, even by todays standards.
Please don't tell anyone that a 1995 Cobra R had 300 Hp and 365 lbs./ft of torque at just 3700 Rpm. It will confuse them.

Just tell 'em that the fastest 95R is driven by a girl. It's almost stock to IMSA specs. Any guy in a Datsun or a Corvette could certainly show her how to win a race at WGI?
WG2012.gif

And what Datsun or C5 Corvette was available in 1995?

They are coming up on 20 years old which is when many cars bottom out. I hope they stay down for a few more years. I have a few select examples on my "radar" I would like to get.
Tom,
You need a new Boss 302. :-D You already have a few old IMSA 95R's. :read:

Bret,
I wish that you would have brought your lovely wife over to meet Debbie. They would have liked each other. Just saying, and I am certain in my opinion.
WG2012o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread