1995 Cobra R’s are being Forgotten

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Hey Dave,
You got lucky because you earned it. :-D

Now, how does the LS feel on the track? Have you experienced any heat issues? Are the wheels stock? What tires are you using?

The LS felt VERY planted on the track, even more so than the R. I played with the shock settings a bit, and settled on 4 front / 3 rear.

The temp at the Glen last mon and tue was only 68 degrees and breezy each day, so no issues with temp or heat.

I picked up a set of 302 S wheels and tires, with the P Zero's, stock sizes front and rear. They held up fine, since this was my first time taking this car on track, I really can't say how it would have been with the stock P Zero Corsas.

(Remember, I drive my car everywhere, no trailer here. 380 miles to the Glen, about 300 miles of track time, and 380 miles home !! )

bret a ewing

Established Member
First, now which one of you presented this 00R? It is nice............................

Bret,
I wish that you would have brought your lovely wife over to meet Debbie. They would have liked each other. Just saying, and I am certain in my opinion.
WG2012o.gif

No doubt!

Boy I love race-girls.:)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
No doubt!
Me, too.:-D

The LS felt VERY planted on the track, even more so than the R.
Great job.

I was wondering about the LS. It's obviously good to go.

I picked up my Red 99 Cobra body from my buddies at MPS today. I told them about two weeks ago that I needed a red 99 body to build a clone of the Coca Cola Multi Matic Motorola Cup car that was destroyed during the 99 season.

Gary,
With your set-up and Debbie (or John) driving it:
95RMM.gif

It could be the fastest 95 Cobra, ever.

You just need to get 'er done. Just build it for a win at HSR Daytona this year.

It's not like we are counting on you. :-D :read:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
I'm already working on it Doc. Since I got involved with the Motorola Cup Cars I have thought those three cars were so cool looking.....Then again, It might be the Tim Hortons decals that drew me in. You know I never saw a doughnut I didn't like :)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Then again, It might be the Tim Hortons decals that drew me in. You know I never saw a doughnut I didn't like :)

I like Coors Light. :-D But that is the Gary that we all like. You can come back and be funny. Unless, of course, it's the guys in the tech shack. :-D

No pressure or anything ;-) , but you are the guy that can be sure that these cars are "never forgotten".

I have a summer list for you: :-D
  • Win at Road America at "The Hawk". There will be 10K-20K spectators.
  • Finish Dick's car (since he wrecked the other one).
  • Get the Multimatic car finished.
  • Get the #99 95R finished.

Just saying...If you could lure Brain out of retirement for a co-driver, the #99 95R would sure be fast at Daytona. :uh oh: He is a young guy that can run that outside line with no fear.

I studied the old logbook on the #99 of 250 Cobra R in your trailer. Damn, if it didn't have a great SCCA history. It raced nine times on the East coast and another three times on the West coast. You know that paperwork is very important.

So, eat another doughtnut and get 'er done. :read: :-D

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Have you guys considered that they are not forgotten, but the look has been done so much that people are tired of looking at it. The 95 Cobra R hood and wheels were the most popular aftermarket appearance parts for more than 10 years and still continue to be huge sellers. When the average car guys walks by they are seeing very common Mustang parts not the great rare car that it is.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you guys considered that they are not forgotten, but the look has been done so much that people are tired of looking at it. The 95 Cobra R hood and wheels were the most popular aftermarket appearance parts for more than 10 years and still continue to be huge sellers.
Thanks,
We are not really worried about "looks over racing". If we did, every real Shelby Cobra (1962-1967) would win the race.

91 5.0 5-Speed Vert Triple Black
.....Loves the 1/4
The 1/4 of what? Road America does not care who gets up the hill faster. It's passing the start/finish and getting into T-1.

98 Cobra Coupe #3300 White
Griggs GR40, and other mods.....Loves the Road Course
I am sure that this car will kick our butt. :rollseyes You have a GR40!

00 Cobra R #186
Bassani exhaust....Loves the Garage
Yea, it loves the garage....Can you 00R guys move forward a bit, or do you insist on hanging around in the garage? That makes the 95R as the best and most raced Ford car? :-D Ya'll have fun. It's too bad that you don't let the 95R guys drive your cars. :read:

Gary took a 1970 Boss 302 out of the garage:
DavidBoss.gif

DaidBoss1.gif

And slammed on the brakes so hard as to make the tires smoke going into the hairpin at Sebring (the Camaro guy was very scared).
DavidBoss3.gif

Jerry has won three Rolex watches. Gary has four.
JerryL.gif

Gary is the mad guy on the right because he didn't win the race (that is the AC/DC singer that kicked his butt--2nd from the left):
Mittypodium-1.gif

Dick has won a few:
Mitty2012DR.gif

Heck, I even got a championship with Gary:
Mitty2012n.png

I had 2nd place OA podium in 2009 (a Ford GT40 was first). Then a 1st in 2010 (they moved the GT40 up a class)

Road racing is not easy when they use points for a full season. Then Gary keeps saying "Bring me the 1st place trophy or bring me the steering wheel".

It's pure fun. I need to get a picture of his four Rolex watches for his Championships. He gets it done on a wet track.
Seb2009Jerry.gif

JohnW#88

Established Member
Yea, it loves the garage....Can you 00R guys move forward a bit, or do you insist on hanging around in the garage? That makes the 95R as the best and most raced Ford car? :-D Ya'll have fun. It's too bad that you don't let the 95R guys drive your cars. :read:

Easy, Doc. :)

I can't speak for others but, my 00R is far from ever being a race/ hpde/ track car.

When you consider the unobtainable collection of parts that the 00R has become, it's far more of a risk than it's worth to blast around a race track. Things happen. You and I both know that one must be willing to completely write-off a car at any given moment when you're on track. I'm not willing to take that gamble.

Additionally, it's certainly far easier to take a 95R with a race history and continue to campaign it. The 95R has a wonderful history with numerous cars raced. The 00R never shared a similar history thus not providing storied cars to race years in the future.

I guess we should blame the orginial 00R owners for not turning more of them into track monsters. Now, IMO, the time for turning the few remaining, perfectly good 00R's into race cars has far past.

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i would no worry about the cobra r's being forgotten because nobody at a car show or cruise in knows what it is. part of the reason i sold my '69 boss 302 was that it was a car show car and nobody at even a mustang car show knew what it was.

"....so, this is like a mach 1? its pretty blue.....does it have an automatic?" and so on. only the true enthusiast knew what a boss mustang was at a mustang show. at a multi marque show?? forget about it.

i could drive my boss the the walmart and nobody would bother it. same with my R and i did...often.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
i would no worry about the cobra r's being forgotten because nobody at a car show or cruise in knows what it is. part of the reason i sold my '69 boss 302 was that it was a car show car and nobody at even a mustang car show knew what it was.

"....so, this is like a mach 1? its pretty blue.....does it have an automatic?" and so on. only the true enthusiast knew what a boss mustang was at a mustang show. at a multi marque show?? forget about it.

i could drive my boss the the walmart and nobody would bother it. same with my R and i did...often.

Your Boss was a different story...it didn't have the factory stripes or rims. It looked nothing like a factory Boss 302. It was a plain blue fastback to the uninformed.

Tom

Cobramustang1993

Established Member
R's Being Forgotten??????

I don't think these cars will be forgotten at all.......I also agree with many of you that there are not enough of these cars taken to shows to really educate most of the mustang crowd, that they indeed exist.....I had purchased all 3 R's in 2000 or so.....all with less than 100 miles on them, and all "wrappers"......The 93R was purchased for the unheard of price back then of 30K....I sold it in 2007 for 80K, and if the economy had not tanked, they would have been 100K at the time or into 2008.....If you watched the Mecum auction this week, Mustang K codes have jumped into the 50-60K price range....They have "been discovered"......Wait a little longer, and I believe the R's will do the same......Rarity will be the determining factor, not performance......

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
I don't think these cars will be forgotten at all.......I also agree with many of you that there are not enough of these cars taken to shows to really educate most of the mustang crowd, that they indeed exist.....I had purchased all 3 R's in 2000 or so.....all with less than 100 miles on them, and all "wrappers"......The 93R was purchased for the unheard of price back then of 30K....I sold it in 2007 for 80K, and if the economy had not tanked, they would have been 100K at the time or into 2008.....If you watched the Mecum auction this week, Mustang K codes have jumped into the 50-60K price range....They have "been discovered"......Wait a little longer, and I believe the R's will do the same......Rarity will be the determining factor, not performance......

So you truly believe that a Mecum or BJ auction makes the market? :rollseyes

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
So you truly believe that a Mecum or BJ auction makes the market?

Bill,
Mecum and BJ may give some direction to the future of old car prices?

I am just not so sure what this means. :shrug: Is it the Fed's rate or something else?

I don't know, but I would never buy at the one/two-year high. I'd never sale at a low. The market is up 26% since the November, 2012 low. I do not buy here.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Bill,
Mecum and BJ may give some direction to the future of old car prices?

I am just not so sure what this means. :shrug: Is it the Fed's rate or something else?

I don't know, but I would never buy at the one/two-year high. I'd never sale at a low. The market is up 26% since the November, 2012 low. I do not buy here.

Are you going to be at WGI next month?

Is Gary bringing #99?

bret a ewing

Established Member
I'd say rarity + performance is the better determining factor.

..........and dang, just plain fun to drive fast.

Ford nearly doubled the sticker price for equipment/technology that made this car competitive. Bill (MrMsang) can give the racing history, since he was part of it.

And For someone wanting a bulletproof intermediate level open track car, you can learn a ton from the "R"................every time I get to track it, I fall in love with how it simply it just plain works.
For the price, and long term value it cannot be beat.

............ah, of course just IMHO.
:):)

Users who are viewing this thread