1995 Cobra R’s are being Forgotten

flattrack53

Established Member
I'd love to have a 95r... I just don't think I could ever justify spending the money to buy a 93r.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Been struggling with this, have the 00 and 95, so almost feel need the 93, but prices are what they are and are hard to pony up for. Heck it's still a fox body (no disrespect as I have 3)

Buy a 95, been some good deals out there.

I'd love to have a 95r... I just don't think I could ever justify spending the money to buy a 93r.

Ironically just picked up a mystic 04 cobra saleen vert, that arrived yesterday.

04 Mystichrome, 00 Cobra R & 2013 GT500 are all on my collectors list.

MiamiSnake

Established Member
Been struggling with this, have the 00 and 95, so almost feel need the 93, but prices are what they are and are hard to pony up for. Heck it's still a fox body (no disrespect as I have 3)

Buy a 95, been some good deals out there.

Ironically just picked up a mystic 04 cobra saleen vert, that arrived yesterday.

Yea, I looked them up and they are like 65K I couldn't believe it but you must complete the collection if you have the other 2!

1993R

Established Member
A few years ago I had dinner with John Colletti while working on the mustang museum project for Atlanta . He later looked at my car and remarked that the first ones were the only hand built cars. He told me to hang on to it. Over the years as I have crawled arounnd the underside and done work to it what he said has proven out in the details. The 93 r is a pure drivers car and that's where the value and fun is.

wheelhopper

Established Member

I agree. I enjoy my '95 tremendously. It is much different in mechanicals than a standard Cobra model. If I was to get a '93 I would buy the standard Cobra. The '93R just is not different enough in my opinion and the standard Cobra is highly appreciated and would be a fun street car to drive with similar performance. Plus I could get that cool Teal color.

flattrack53

Established Member
I agree. I enjoy my '95 tremendously. It is much different in mechanicals than a standard Cobra model. If I was to get a '93 I would buy the standard Cobra. The '93R just is not different enough in my opinion and the standard Cobra is highly appreciated and would be a fun street car to drive with similar performance. Plus I could get that cool Teal color.

I 100% agree with you about the 93r. I would also get the teal, as I own/owned to many red mustangs (sorry Doc). I would like to have a 95r just because only enthusiast would be able to tell the difference between a regular cobra and the R. It would be nice to be able to take a car somewhere without coming outside with hand prints all over my car.

1993R

Established Member
On the surface I would be inclined to agree with you both. I have owned both a R and street model ( #86) and I can tell you on the track and driving at any kind of speed there is a tremendous difference between the two cars. The r is an extremely old school car that breathes life from its pure simplicity . The braking and handling or significantly different and improved over the street model. The reality most people will never have the opportunity to own or even drive the two at speed. I have been privileged to do both .

matt87

Established Member
well i witnessed what the op said first hand yesterday. i parked next to a forum member and his super nice 17k mile 95r. now mind you this was at an all ford show at Tasca ford. i saw so many people just walk right on by it, its so plain jane to look at. some guy thought it was a regular cobra. i thought his 24k asking price was more than fair too.

gixxer1

Established Member
well i witnessed what the op said first hand yesterday. i parked next to a forum member and his super nice 17k mile 95r. now mind you this was at an all ford show at Tasca ford. i saw so many people just walk right on by it, its so plain jane to look at. some guy thought it was a regular cobra. i thought his 24k asking price was more than fair too.

That would be my car and it actually has 15k miles .
Honestly he's dead on with his observation. The 95 R just doesn't get
any love at the car shows unless its seen by a true mustang enthusiast.
Most people think its just a cobra and that's what I dislike about it.
Other than that its a great car .

brianz426

Established Member

That would be my car and it actually has 15k miles .
Honestly he's dead on with his observation. The 95 R just doesn't get
any love at the car shows unless its seen by a true mustang enthusiast.
Most people think its just a cobra and that's what I dislike about it.
Other than that its a great car .

I've witnessed the same reactions during the few car shows I've taken my R to. The best part about the 95's is the people that do recognize the cars are true enthusiasts. If they don't know a lot about the cars they ask questions and listen, if they do know a lot, I find them a pleasure to talk to and I usually learn something. Keep the masses away from me and I'll hang with the small group.:)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I've witnessed the same reactions during the few car shows I've taken my R to. The best part about the 95's is the people that do recognize the cars are true enthusiasts. If they don't know a lot about the cars they ask questions and listen, if they do know a lot, I find them a pleasure to talk to and I usually learn something. Keep the masses away from me and I'll hang with the small group.:)

I agree, but I think it takes a Ford guy to recognize it. I've meet many Ford guys that had never seen a Cobra R.

We have a car event (not really a car show) every month in Atlanta. It will have 600+ cars, and the Ferrari's will outnumber the Cobra's (I've brought the only R).

Caffeine and Octane Atlanta's Best Car Show

You can get some attention here in a nice Ford GT (otherwise, forget it). :-D

I've meet some nice guys. I've found a few new volunteers that will help me out a bit at The HSR Atlanta Historics Race next weekend (in a '65 Mustang) for a free all-access crew pass (I'll also include the free cold beer). :-D

I honestly believe that there is another generation out there that will want an old Cobra R or an even older 1965 Mustang. We just have to show them how to work on them how to make 'em fast.

They are just as interested as we were ~20-30 years ago. And their girlfriends are cute. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread