1995 Cobra R’s are being Forgotten

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Is Gary bringing #99?
Bill,
I am not sure if Gary will have the #99 there. Gary always brings his groupies so I know that he is around when I arrive at the track. :-D

GaryJ.gif

I'd drive it for him if he doesn't have time due to his busy "track" schedule. ;-)

..........and dang, just plain fun to drive fast.

Ford nearly doubled the sticker price for equipment/technology that made this car competitive.
Bret,
I agree with the fun to drive.

I doubt Ford ever made a dollar in profit from the 1995 Cobra R. They had to pay Roush to build the engines and other suppliers to finish the package. They lost money on the 93R and 00R as well. :-D

I sure know that I am in a factory race car. Since it has no insulation, you can hear every sound. The wheel wells sound like the fourth of July with rocks slamming into the body just going down a normal road. The engine makes funny noises. You can hear the transmission making it's own noises. You can hear the electric fuel pump (if it stops making noise--you are out of gas).

I like it and would never trade it.
1995Ra.jpg

If you guys can think of a Ford factory built production car that has had as much racing success, please tell me.

It ain't never going to happen: :-D
95Rb.gif

1993R

Established Member
You should have let me know you we're headed to MPS I live 5 miles from there I might have had you swing by to check out the 93r

Like I said Doc, I'm doing my part :). I picked up my Red 99 Cobra body from my buddies at MPS today. I told them about two weeks ago that I needed a red 99 body to build a clone of the Coca Cola Multi Matic Motorola Cup car that was destroyed during the 99 season. They called me and told me they had a Red 99 Cobra come in and for me to come and get it.......Project starts tomorrow......In the meantime my 95R is being painted right now and should be at the Savannah HSR event at the end of the year.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Doc,

Looks like Gary sold #99 (or has a deposit on it) :( so it will not be there. if he did have it there I was going to bail out of a family function and drive up to be reunited with it, even if for just a few minutes :dancenana: .....Oh well, perhaps we'll catch up with the car somewhere else. :beer:

Bill S.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like Gary sold #99 (or has a deposit on it)...

:eek:

Wow. I didn't know this. Gary must have 1000 hours in his work restoring this car.

He has also lead the new rules and regulations of a 1993-1995 Cobra R into vintage racing.

He is really a nice guy except when a tech guy tries to tell him otherwise. :-D

My Snipes Ford #21 is in his shop for a few adjustments. ;-)
Mitty2013.jpg

We will see if he can make a 1995 Cobra R go fast. :shrug: ;-)

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
I'm coming up Bill but I don't think I'm bringing any of the SN-95 Cars this trip. I have a deposit on the 99 Car so it looks like I did my first and last race with it at Sebring in March. I hate to sell it but I have my sights set on a bigger prize. At least I got it out of a storage building, all back together and it will be raced a good bit with both HSR and SVRA.

:eek:

Wow. I didn't know this. Gary must have 1000 hours in his work restoring this car.

I too did not know he had it for sale. He commented in another thread stating he had a deposit on it and was not bringing it to WGI in June.

Bill S.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I too did not know he had it for sale. He commented in another thread stating he had a deposit on it and was not bringing it to WGI in June.

Bill,
Hmm, I guess that rules me out from driving the #99. ;-) I could have got it done at WG.

I wonder who the new owner will be? :read:

I've already posted the historic SCCA/SVRA log book. It's a very special car.

Can the new owner compete with a girl? We will see. :-D
Mitty2013DC.gif

She is quick everywhere she races. She has already been named "Rookie of The Year". I heard that she is going for the Championship this year?

I dare you to challenge her. She will be hard to beat in a 1995 Cobra R. Fair Warning. ;-)

brianz426

Established Member
..........and dang, just plain fun to drive fast.

:):)

Bill,
Bret,
I agree with the fun to drive.

I doubt Ford ever made a dollar in profit from the 1995 Cobra R. They had to pay Roush to build the engines and other suppliers to finish the package. They lost money on the 93R and 00R as well. :-D

I sure know that I am in a factory race car. Since it has no insulation, you can hear every sound. The wheel wells sound like the fourth of July with rocks slamming into the body just going down a normal road. The engine makes funny noises. You can hear the transmission making it's own noises. You can hear the electric fuel pump (if it stops making noise--you are out of gas).

I like it and would never trade it.

Bret & Doc,

Completely agree with above statements. Had my R out a few weeks ago, took it to a car show about 45 miles away. Left around 7:00am, weather was cool, windows open, heat on. Travelled all rural back roads enjoyed every minute and all the noises. :banana: Now I need to make some time to get it out again before it gets hot here.

flattrack53

Established Member
I still have to go for a ride in your R. I think I am going to pick one up to do open track events.

brianz426

Established Member
Scott,
I still owe you. Let me know when you are ready, your ride is way overdue. Lax splash is this weekend so we'll be running the kids around to Lacrosse games all over town. Maybe one evening next week?

flattrack53

Established Member
Scott,
I still owe you. Let me know when you are ready, your ride is way overdue. Lax splash is this weekend so we'll be running the kids around to Lacrosse games all over town. Maybe one evening next week?

I work every day to 7pm this week except thursday (off work). Let me know when you are free and we will set something up!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Completely agree with above statements. Had my R out a few weeks ago, took it to a car show about 45 miles away. Left around 7:00am, weather was cool, windows open, heat on. Travelled all rural back roads enjoyed every minute and all the noises. :banana: Now I need to make some time to get it out again before it gets hot here.

Nice.

I enjoyed my drive last week in the north GA mountains. I am getting better. It was fun.

95R113a.gif

The weak point of any 1995 Mustang Cobra R is traction (or grip) when you exit a corner. The torque comes early and stays with you. The first opportunity of a good lap time is getting back quick to the throttle after the exit.

Just ask Harry. We call him "Two Time" for his double wins this year at Road America.
HarryRAm2013.jpg

flattrack53

Established Member
I can say the torque on the 95r and the 00r's are incredible. It is nice to make 300tq at 2500 rpm.

TFStang

Established Member
I take it you bought one of bearsnakes cobra r's...Probably at auction last year? You do realize it is more rare to have an R with actual mileage on them. I myself am also young and own one of these cars. When I first bought my car, I rarely drove it as I purchased it with 645 miles. I realized how much fun these cars are now and why everyone raves about driving them. Now my car is over 2500 miles and I am not regretting one thing about it. Drive it and enjoy it. These cars sitting around doing nothing is terrible.

My dad owned the lowest mileage 427 cobra for over 20 years. That car had 735 miles on it when he sold it a few years back. We had to drive it 3 miles to where the shipping company came to pick it up. In that 3 mile drive, the car lost all break pressure and the pedal went to the floor along with the radiator busting and smoke pouring out everywhere.

Damn!!!! 735 miles on an original 427 Cobra!!!! I can't even imagine what that went for. A small fortune I'm sure. Why did he sell it?

flattrack53

Established Member
Damn!!!! 735 miles on an original 427 Cobra!!!! I can't even imagine what that went for. A small fortune I'm sure. Why did he sell it?

He sold it because he couldn't enjoy the car. The value of the car was in the odometer. He bought a competition 427 cobra shortly after selling this one.

MiamiSnake

Established Member
I am glad Cobra R's are going lower in value because now is when you pick them up and hold on to them. My taste in cars has changed big time within the last five years. I went from wanting the fastest thing on the road to wanting the most unique limited edition models on the road. 96 Mystic, 04 Mystichrome, 00 Cobra R & 2013 GT500 are all on my collectors list.

flattrack53

Established Member
I am glad Cobra R's are going lower in value because now is when you pick them up and hold on to them. My taste in cars has changed big time within the last five years. I went from wanting the fastest thing on the road to wanting the most unique limited edition models on the road. 96 Mystic, 04 Mystichrome, 00 Cobra R & 2013 GT500 are all on my collectors list.

I looked at a 2004 competition orange cobra with under 2500 miles before I bought my 00r. I flew out to take a look at the car with a lunch box full of cash. When I got there, the guy told me I couldn't test drive the car... Obviously I had the money in hand.. Something was sketchy so I passed on the car... I came home and put an ad on here (Thursday morning). That night I was in contact with a gentlemen with a 600 mile 00R... Done deal over the phone. Wired the money on friday and on Monday I had the car in my driveway.. I like these cars so much, I ended up buying another one about 9 months ago. You can't go wrong with an 00R.

Users who are viewing this thread