18 y/o Too Young For a Terminator?

Sick03Vert

Banned
the problem is when it comes to driving other peoples lives are involved. Lots of people are killed in traffic accidents that they werent the cause. :bash:

You should be more concerned with the elderly and big ass dually trucks and SUV's than sports cars if you want to take that line.

I suggest you research the data before making a statement like that. :bash:

Further more, you DO realize there are many very young Formula 1 drivers, as well as drivers in other auto sports, that can drive circles around people twice their age right?

What I find interesting is:

18 year old gets a fast car and is allowed to drive it on public roadway - People lose their minds
21 year old buys AR-15 and nobody has an issue because "it's their right" and "gun owners are responsible".

That IS a relative argument, as either a car or a gun can kill someone...and the gun is the more likely of the two.

Curious...what's your stance on that?

:pop:

04GTMustang

Established Member
I'm 23 and I just paid off my Terminator. Got it at 19. Had a GT before it. All depends on the person. I whippled my Cobra at 20. 600+ rwhp and I've never even been stopped in it.

All comes down to self control and learning the car and not taking stupid risks.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You should be more concerned with the elderly and big ass dually trucks and SUV's than sports cars if you want to take that line.

Further more, you DO realize there are many very young Formula 1 drivers, as well as drivers in other auto sports, that can drive circles around people twice their age right?

18 year old gets a fast car and is allowed to drive it on public roadway - People lose their minds
21 year old buys AR-15 and nobody has an issue because "it's their right" and "gun owners are responsible".

That IS a relative argument, as either a car or a gun can kill someone...and the gun is the more likely of the two.

I'm pretty sure most of them started by racing carts by the age of 6

Sick03Vert

Banned
I'm pretty sure most of them started by racing carts by the age of 6

Agreed...BUT there are some that did not.

And, of course, not every fantastic driver is lucky enough to get a break and drive professionally. I personally know of many great drivers that could run circles around some of the big dogs...but they aren't well enough connected to ever get the chance.

My point is there are many young guys/gals out there who are capable of driving a 400 horsepower car as their first vehicle. Just because the vast majority can't handle it, doesn't mean none of them can.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Agreed...BUT there are some that did not.

And, of course, not every fantastic driver is lucky enough to get a break and drive professionally. I personally know of many great drivers that could run circles around some of the big dogs...but they aren't well enough connected to ever get the chance.

My point is there are many young guys/gals out there who are capable of driving a 400 horsepower car as their first vehicle. Just because the vast majority can't handle it, doesn't mean none of them can.

thanks for admitting it. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule but in general its safe to assume an average kid cant handle a 400hp pony car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Holy shit, is this post for real?

No, the elderly do not cause more fatal accidents per year than younger inexperienced drivers. you can find all the data you want on the NTSB site that specifically correlates the higher accident rate of younger drivers. That is a FACT JACK.

Second, those young guys in F1/Nascar/WRC/etc all have been racing since they have been walking. These guys grew up karting and moved up. They are nothing akin to a 18yo that just got his license at 16-17. These guys couldve passed their drivers exams by age 10 with flying colors.

Unfortunately, the right to drive cars is not in the constitution. While I do not agree with the argument "privilege, not a right" that most make regarding driving, as I believe any taxpaying citizen has the right to use the roads in which their taxes go into maintaining/building, its nothing close to the consitutional right to bear arms, just because both can be deadly. Also, guns, like cars, DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. People kill people. A parked car, like a gun sitting on a table, is 100% non lethal. Its not until a person with intent uses it in a matter of which it (gun or car) becomes deadly.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
I was 19 when I bought mine. I have no issues with any age driving that car. The thing is though, you don't even drive it. 1,500 miles in 6 months? I never understood why some people do that. Seems like a big waste of money to have it sit in a garage all the time. It's not like it's a collector's car either.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I was 19 when I bought mine. I have no issues with any age driving that car. The thing is though, you don't even drive it. 1,500 miles in 6 months? I never understood why some people do that. Seems like a big waste of money to have it sit in a garage all the time. It's not like it's a collector's car either.

I assume he has a DD.

ViciousJay

Established Member
OP i'll honestly answer and say yes, you can be mature all you want but I think at some point someone will entice you do something dumb and let me tell you from experience it happens so fast that you blink and its over. I would wait

Sick03Vert

Banned
Holy shit, is this post for real?

No, the elderly do not cause more fatal accidents per year than younger inexperienced drivers. you can find all the data you want on the NTSB site that specifically correlates the higher accident rate of younger drivers. That is a FACT JACK.

Second, those young guys in F1/Nascar/WRC/etc all have been racing since they have been walking. These guys grew up karting and moved up. They are nothing akin to a 18yo that just got his license at 16-17. These guys couldve passed their drivers exams by age 10 with flying colors.

Unfortunately, the right to drive cars is not in the constitution. While I do not agree with the argument "privilege, not a right" that most make regarding driving, as I believe any taxpaying citizen has the right to use the roads in which their taxes go into maintaining/building, its nothing close to the consitutional right to bear arms, just because both can be deadly. Also, guns, like cars, DO NOT KILL PEOPLE. People kill people. A parked car, like a gun sitting on a table, is 100% non lethal. Its not until a person with intent uses it in a matter of which it (gun or car) becomes deadly.

There's so much fail in your post...I'm not even going to bother with it. Seriously.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Shit. I don't think I'm mature enough at 30. But life experience counts for a lot. I have gotten myself into and out of a LOT of stupid situations in my younger years with cars. And having that experience is what matters in my opinion. Knowing how far you can push a car, what your skill level is, your ability to recover in bad situations, etc..

Last edited:

Oxford

Established Member
All I think about is how I was when I was 18 with my fox. Getting to the point, I was a reckless fool with that car and while that was ME and i cant speak for every other person, I can speak to how driving experience ( not just skill but knowledge about other drivers habits ) prepared me to avoid accidents, other silly drivers, and trouble. This IS an opinion but 18 year old's don't just "have it" like prodigies.

In any case good luck with the car dude. your definitely in a bracket few people were ever in. People are gonna hate whenever they can. That wont ever change no matter what age you are.

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member

I tell him the exact same thing everyday.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Nothing wrong with owning a car like that at 18. I had an 02 M3 Brand new at age 17 and people gave me a lot of grief about it.

IMHO - there are two sides of owning a 500+ HP car at that age. One being that the chances of someone that age wrecking it are greater than a person over 30 years of age and being able to afford it. At that age, I've known a few guys with ZL1's and other fast/expensive cars claiming they pay for it all by themselves and are very arrogant about it. Sure, you can pay for your car, but, that isn't anything to brag about.

The only thing that matters is you are mature about it and realize this is not a FWD Honda Civic with 200 HP. Even professional drivers lose control of 500+ HP cars.

Personally, I'd put more than 1500 miles on it in 6 months. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy life man.

Badass ride for sure, and even owning a new 5.0, I still miss my Cobra slightly.....Slightly... Hehe.

MTBSully

Established Member
Does this kid just want a big hug from the SVTP community to make him feel mature? Swear to god he already made this thread. What if we all told you you were too young and mommy and daddy bought it for you? Would you say "Yeah you guys are right, sorry, I'll sell it".

Just drive the damn thing and stop looking for reassurance here.

Users who are viewing this thread