18 y/o Too Young For a Terminator?

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
There is no issue Tim. Go search the 03-04 section for the tons of threads similar to this. I just asked for everyone to play nice. There have been no infractions issued, by me anyways, lol.

I was actually backing you up on this… cuz seriously why get upset at the kid for having a nice car? if folks wanna rib him for daddy buying it… i can see that. but man.. i would have given my left nut to have a bad ass terminator back then. i did have a fast car.. and I bought it myself.. but i didn't have a terminator.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I'm surprised that nobody seems to think whether he paid for it himself or his parents bought it for him makes a big difference. I think that makes the biggest difference. I always drove my Dad's vehicles like a bat out of hell, it only took me an afternoon to find out the governor limits his v6 mustang to 107mph. I haven't even gone over a hundred in my Cobra that I bought. When you're 18, chances are you aren't earning shit so it really takes dedication to save up the cash to buy and insure one of these cars, leaving you with a different kind of appreciation for it's value. Also leaving the traction control on should make a big difference. It might take away some of the fun but at least you wont be doing any burnouts, intentional or not.

I completely agree with this.

I did some stupid shit whenever I got to take my dads GT out before I had the Cobra. However, after paying for the Cobra 100% I made sure I never did anything that could put that car in danger. I didn't even like burning rubber. Those 335's were not cheap. One tire was one paycheck lol.

Dixarect

Cobro
Established Member
I'm surprised that nobody seems to think whether he paid for it himself or his parents bought it for him makes a big difference. I think that makes the biggest difference. I always drove my Dad's vehicles like a bat out of hell, it only took me an afternoon to find out the governor limits his v6 mustang to 107mph. I haven't even gone over a hundred in my Cobra that I bought. When you're 18, chances are you aren't earning shit so it really takes dedication to save up the cash to buy and insure one of these cars, leaving you with a different kind of appreciation for it's value. Also leaving the traction control on should make a big difference. It might take away some of the fun but at least you wont be doing any burnouts, intentional or not.

The traction control is tuned to off :) and for the record I spent right at half for it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I honestly don't care. And who the hell cares how many miles the car is driven in 6 months or a year? Mines paid for, isn't hurting anything by collecting a little dust in the garage. Most people have other daily drivers including myself. Strictly leisure driving.

EDIT: And my first performance car was a 91 GT, with a whopping 225hp. I was probably 17 years old, but I paid for it all by myself. My step-dad had to cosign and he said 1 late payment the car is his! This was back in 1998 when minimum wage was like 5.25 or something an hour! Car payment was 225 a month along with 150 a month for insurance! MY parents NEVER bought my cars or anything expensive, that's how I learned to appreciate what I have and the hard work I had to do to get it.

Last edited:

Peetiewonder

RoofGone GeorgeJefferson
Established Member
I'm 25, if I had my Terminator when I was 18 I wouldn't be typing this right now, either that or I'd be typing it through a straw. I grew tremendously as a driver between 16 and 21 and am continuing to grow more and more, you grow from your mistakes, and lord knows I've made my share of them.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Yes 18 is too young. My daughter thinks she will drive ours at 18. She is wrong. Way too fast without realizing it. At 18, I do not care who the child is, they are not responsible enough. Why? I was 18 once!

Peetie - you said this well. I do not believe I could have said it better.

I'm 25, if I had my Terminator when I was 18 I wouldn't be typing this right now, either that or I'd be typing it through a straw. I grew tremendously as a driver between 16 and 21 and am continuing to grow more and more, you grow from your mistakes, and lord knows I've made my share of them.

Last edited:

Noreiga

Established Member
I'm sure people wonder and it's always a hot topic, so I might add that I didn't pay for my car. I was fortunate enough to have proud and supportive parents which made for an incredible high school graduation present. I 100% agree that earning something yourself fills you a very specific type of appreciation for something. But it was very easy to not be stupid with my car because the appreciation I have for my family and my father was more than enough. It's a shame that young people with fortunate family dynamics are always assumed to be lazy ignorant 'good for nothings'. It's even more of a shame that so many of them are.

This portion here is the reason so many people have issues regardless of whether someone is responsible or not. It just bothers me to no end seeing young kids fresh out of high school riding mommy and daddy's coat tail. You may have been the safest person on the road with yours, but the fact still remains that no kid deserves it. Before the question is asked technically my first car was a hand-me-down 1973 Chevy Nova that I made a deal to trade my parents it for their 1990 Miata. I financed my 02 GT at 17 followed by my procharged 04 mach 1 at 20 and just recently at 24 I was to the point where I was able to straight up pay for my Cobra. A little work for what you want goes a long way rather than just being handed things.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Accepting a gift and living off your parents are two very different things. I never said I couldn't afford it on my own. I haven't been without a job longer than a month since I was 12. Again it's the stigma of being young and getting a car. Whether I deserved it or not is debatable. However from your response it would seem like everyone assumes that because I got a car as a present that i couldn't/didn't support myself and that I'm just mooching.

My point is that there are too many factors which vary from person to person to be making assumptions just because a young person is in a high horsepower car. To assume somebodies financial stability or independence is just as bad as assuming their ability to handle a high horsepower car, regardless of age.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This portion here is the reason so many people have issues regardless of whether someone is responsible or not. It just bothers me to no end seeing young kids fresh out of high school riding mommy and daddy's coat tail. You may have been the safest person on the road with yours, but the fact still remains that no kid deserves it. Before the question is asked technically my first car was a hand-me-down 1973 Chevy Nova that I made a deal to trade my parents it for their 1990 Miata. I financed my 02 GT at 17 followed by my procharged 04 mach 1 at 20 and just recently at 24 I was to the point where I was able to straight up pay for my Cobra. A little work for what you want goes a long way rather than just being handed things.

Sadly this seems to be the world we live in these days. There's still some parents out there that make there kids work/earn things. I give co-workers crap everyday about them talking about paying for there kids college, paying there rent, buying them a decent car for college ect.

I can understand starting something for your kids when there young, but how are you teaching them to be responsible when they don't have to pay for anything! These people complaining that they have no money because of there kids college fees should be saving up for retirement!

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
^ maybe they would rather give their children the best opportunity to succeed instead of trying to have a big retirement

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Yes, too young. But, are you about to sell your Cobra on other people's feedback? Didn't think so...Enjoy, be safe.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
OP, why do you even care what we think? One of the few freedoms anyone has in life is the freedom to make your own choices. Make a choice and live with it. Just be responsible.

rahu8670

Established Member
Too young most 18 yo don't have the experience needed to drive a v6 mustang without wrecking, let alone anything faster

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
Yes, too young. But, are you about to sell your Cobra on other people's feedback? Didn't think so...Enjoy, be safe.

guessing he just wanted everyone to know his parents bought him a cobra

or atleast that he is 18 and has a cobra

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I got a Roush Stage 2 when I was 17 and crashed it into a tree (at about 15mph, but still). I got my Cobra at 19 and had plenty of fun with it but didn't drive like an idiot everywhere. I see things daily in the Pics & Videos buffet here that I never did with my car. Yeah I was a spoiled kid but I definitely had respect for my parents to not screw up and make them regret their decision.

Having said that, I would NEVER get my kid a fast car at that age. Being around the scene, I saw tons of guys around my age at the time doing insane things on the street at speeds that were just instant death. I couldn't live with myself if my kid screwed up being reckless in a car I handed him the keys to. With that also said, kids can go fast in any car so respect is key above all.

bigjeezy04

White Mammoth
Established Member
i think it all depends on how u grew up?! i grew up around decently fast/dangerous cars. i was tought at a young age any car can be life changing it dont matter how fast or slow it is. and it also depends on how u picked your friends growing up. i was tought always be a leader and most of my friends were 3-4 years older than me so i kept myself out of trouble and while they got me beer lol but while being mature and responsible.. im 22 and since i was 19 had a 600hp car and i just brought a Buick grand national. just don't be dumb and age shouldn't matter as long ur mentally mature to handle the car!

if u want to lay in to it make sure u know ur surroundings and know when to do and when not to do it!! im no angel driving but i try to watch myself cause it can get the best of anyone ,especially with power at a flick of a figure tip!! enjoy the car and drive that thing more!!!

roadracer247

Established Member
These type of threads remind me of this picture

64ecc1c74ef5450615a9f07092e283e3.jpg

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I don't have a problem with it. I also think most of you are still viewing the Terminator as the class leading power it was when it came out, instead of a $15,000 first car with less power than the current GT. This isn't 2003 anymore, the Hyundai Genesis sedan has more horsepower than the Terminator for chrissake. I've known multiple guys with 400+ horsepower cars before the age of 20, funnily enough none of them have crashed while I've had quite a few friends wreck shit trucks being morons. The key denominator was the person, not the power level of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread