ZR1 on the road course, 04 cobra chase car

racebronco2

Established Member
I have the cobra "r" brakes with hawk black's, anthony's brake cooling kit which gets it's air from the foglight location and brakes fans located on the a-arms cooling off the caliper/rotor. Rear brakes are stock with hawk hp+'s.

Exiting the roval to the short straight i am doing 130mph down to 30mph for the slow left hander.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It's a great video! I could almost feel the red mist slide over my vision after the Z went by on the oval, and it was funny to see some corner exit fishtailing as the same thing clearly happened to the driver. The technique looked pretty good from both drivers in my view.

As for passing on the oval, I'd also be cautious in my own car at 150+ on a corner; if you have a problem at that speed (mechanical, driver, ...) it's going to be very unpleasant. On the infield the driving looked clean -- although you did stuff that honda into the double-apex left after the Z passed you :-D -- and the Z simply had more brakes, grip and acceleration and was driven well.

racebronco2

Established Member
We are in hpde 3 in which there is passing almost anywhere without a point-by except for taking away apex's. The honda driver was aware of our closing speed and just let us pass in which i apologized for such a close pass at the apex but he was cool with it.

racebronco2

Established Member
Oh man I'd like to see your Cobra with a KB and another 150rwhp+ :rockon:

Nice driving.

I doubt it would stay cool, over the past 5 years i have tried many cooling mods, some work and some don't. I have found that the hood mod is the best cooling mod period. More hp will create more heat, and i doubt i could keep it cool. I am already a little over 500hp.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Never been on a road course with my cobra but your driving looked like you were hanging in there im surprised he didnt pull away with his grip :X

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
We are in hpde 3 in which there is passing almost anywhere without a point-by except for taking away apex's. The honda driver was aware of our closing speed and just let us pass in which i apologized for such a close pass at the apex but he was cool with it.

Yep, it looked like a clean pass and he did leave the door WIDE open :) I just figured you were not going to let a honda get between you and the Z and let him open a gap.

Were the cars all running the same tires? The acceleration from the Z coming out of the right-hander after the oval was startling; I don't think you could get that traction from the stock meats.

racebronco2

Established Member
He's able to get on the gas hard with those 345 hoosier slicks, i have to slowly get on the gas and wait til the car is straightened out before i go wot.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I doubt it would stay cool, over the past 5 years i have tried many cooling mods, some work and some don't. I have found that the hood mod is the best cooling mod period. More hp will create more heat, and i doubt i could keep it cool. I am already a little over 500hp.

but twin screws are more efficient and generate less heat than eatons, or so I thought

:shrug:

Cmon at least a 2.2L! :-D

racebronco2

Established Member
but twin screws are more efficient and generate less heat than eatons, or so I thought

:shrug:

Cmon at least a 2.2L! :-D

Twin screws are more efficient and generate less heat, iat2's not engine heat. The more power you make the more power you need to cool.Most cars don't run as cool as my car does and would hate to buy a ts and end up with a car that runs too hot on the track. The i would have problems exiting the turns trying ti hook-up 600+hp.

With the right offset i bet i could get 335's to work but then the cost of tires would be way more then i could afford.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Twin screws are more efficient and generate less heat, iat2's not engine heat. The more power you make the more power you need to cool.Most cars don't run as cool as my car does and would hate to buy a ts and end up with a car that runs too hot on the track. The i would have problems exiting the turns trying ti hook-up 600+hp.

With the right offset i bet i could get 335's to work but then the cost of tires would be way more then i could afford.

How about 533 RWHP that can be richened up and dropped to 520 something with Xcal2.
3.50" upper stock lower gen1 Whipple, pick up a used twin screw and run a big pulley.

I'm shopping for crashed hoods so I can run a hood just like yours, I can't afford the la/sa but I can mod a hood. $#!T I can't afford coil overs either.:bash:

Food for thought??? Even 560 with your mods would cool on all but the hottest so cal days. IMHO of course:rockon:

racebronco2

Established Member
I don't think i could stay cool. In the summer i have to run a 3.10 pulley to keep temps under 225*. I am already close to 510hp with a 2.80 pulley, 50hp for 4000.00 is not a bargain for me when i will need to worry about temps and no traction. I was thinking about the snake bite but that would probably run too hot also.

codip426

Durrp
Established Member
Man, some awesome driving out there, for both of you. I just loved watching that ZR1 come out of the turns with so much raw power. But how you kept up with him was even better.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Is a cooling upgrade worthwhile and a fully vented hood? Surely if 600hp+ production cars and V12 TT Mercedes can do it, so can the Cobra?

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
looked to me like he didnt get away from u. u hung in there right behind him. may not have passed him, but i think u did pretty damned well considering.

RealQuick

Established Member
nice job and awesome vid! On a side note, the vette would have been gone for sure if her wasn't held up most of the time with slower cars in front of him.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
awesome video...

I'm suprised you ran as close as you did to him... Sometimes when you would roll out of a curve from a bog, I think a downshift would have kept it closer..

How about how close he came to that tire pile at .47ish !

Users who are viewing this thread