wuts faster a mach 1 or a ls1 ss

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
Originally posted by quickcarsrus
the got a automatic mach 1 in the 13.5's, high 12's with the stick, what about the old mach 1 with 428 :eek: , what did it run in the 1/4

69 Mach 1 428CJ auto w/3.50 gears runs a 13.80@103 mph according to the 50 Fastest Musclecar list (the Mach 1 is # 48).

The list:

http://www.hotrodder.com/kwkride/50_fastest.html

Last edited:

Mendax

It would be a close race, but the SS would most likely come out in front. My stock WS6 was beating my slightly modified Cobra from a roll.

KillrCobra

Established Member
I love the Mach, but with equal drivers an 01+ Ls1 will win. I mean they both weigh basically the same, but the 01-02 ls1s have about 45-50 more rwhp on the mach. Only thing that keeps it close is the fact that stangs are geared better through 1st and 2nd.

I really could care less which one's faster...they're both bad ass and American made. :beer:

skylinegtr

For Sale
Established Member
wow i didnt know a mach 1 was that fast. I have beaten a ss camaro with my L but it sounds like the mach 1 is faster than the L? I didnt know

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I don't mean any disrespect to Mach 1 owners. I'm just stating my opinion.

I've seen several Mach 1's run at the track. The fastest one only ran a 13.2 @ 103mph with slicks and gears. That was on a 1.8 60'. Not very impressive. A friend of a friend has a Mach 1 with a centrifugal blower on it. It makes around 450rwhp and he's only able to crank out low 12's.

Track must have been cold, or you witnessed that 13.2 run on slicks at a higher elevation. It only takes a set of 555R's and a K&N to get a 5-speed mach to dip into the high 12's.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeCobra
I love the Mach, but with equal drivers an 01+ Ls1 will win. I mean they both weigh basically the same, but the 01-02 ls1s have about 45-50 more rwhp on the mach. Only thing that keeps it close is the fact that stangs are geared better through 1st and 2nd.

I really could care less which one's faster...they're both bad ass and American made. :beer:

So the 01+ LS1's dyno 345 to 350RWHP?? (since the Mach1's dyno between 280 and 300RWHP)... Man those LS1's are putting down better numbers than what alot of the LS6'es I'v heard of (around 350RWHP). :rolleyes:

03CobraBro

Established Member
www.mach1registry.com

Why dont you guys hop on over to there forum, or are you scared ya might learn something. :p

I think alot of the disbelief stems from the fact you LS1 owners cant fight the Mach1 with a supercharged excuse...

Last edited:

DSGMach714

Established Member
Ok, well both are good cars.. I ran a 13.2 @ 106 mph with my Mach being bone stock. Enough to run with a well driven LS1 driver. LS1 does have a great top end and it'd be a challenge for me to keep up after the quarter. But I'd definitely not be blown away by any LS1 that is stock or lightly moded...

Mach's stock suspension is well suited for drag racing.. Takes more then RWHP #'s to run a good ET

Mach1driver

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeCobra

I really think in the end it would be a drivers race if we are talking stock vs. stock. The biggest problem would be finding a stock f-body tho if ya ask me. ;-)

Anyway I've had my Mach 1 since last Nov and I'll give you my experiences with it, if you can relate it to a similar f-body please do.

My Mach 1 was dynoed 100% stock on Feb 1, 2003 with 2,000 miles it's numbers were 276.8hp/301.7 ft lbs tq (SAE corrected). The first time at the track it was weighed with half a tank of gas and no spare, 3,347 lbs. Best 100% stock run at the track was 13.54 with a 2.2 60'. Best run so far was done with nitto drag radials and the air box drawing 100% of it's air through the shaker it went 13.19, @104.59mph, 1.85 60' . The car went 13.09 on the next run but I had let someone else drive it. Both times the temps were in the 80's.

Anyway thats my experience with my Mach 1, I think it's a tad lighter then the average ls1 f-body and a bit closer in rwhp stock then 50. I really would like to get back to the track and do some back to back runs with the shaker setup drawing all the air vs shaker and fenderwell drawing air to see if one has a noticable gain over the other.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by svtpower
yup ****en back stabber

Backstabber? I'm merely stating my opinion. I am defending LS1's in this case because they are faster than Mach 1's in stock trim. I've owned and LS1 and I've driven several Mach's. By no means am I a die hard GM guy. I'm just giving respect where respect is due. I've previously said that the Mach powerplant is very respectable.

In this particular case, the LS1 would win. It may only be by .5-1 car length however.

Don't turn this into a Ford vs. Chevy thing because it's not. We've all been down that road a million times and it leads nowhere. It's about two American made muscle cars.

And svtpower...all I do is defend the '03 Cobras on the LS1 boards. It seems like there is very little LS1 knowledge on Mustang boards and even less knowledge about Mustangs on LS1 boards. I've owned both so I try to pass on as much info as I can.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by svtpower
I STILL THINK THE MACH 1 LOOKS BETTER AND ITS FASTER

That's cool. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't go busting my balls though because I gave mine.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
I am defending LS1's in this case because they are faster than Mach 1's in stock trim. I've owned and LS1 and I've driven several Mach's. By no means am I a die hard GM guy. I'm just giving respect where respect is due.

Respect is fine. The LS1's do deserve respect... However the Mach deserves alittle more credit than its been getting in this thread as well (Esspecially amoungst LS1 owners in general). The Mach1 runs low 13's just like every other LS1 containing automobile has been able to muster in the passed 5 years.

Iv yet to here anyone compliment Ford for producing a car with a N/A 4.6 liter V8 thats been able to run neck and neck with the almighty LS1. All I here about is how the car with the larger engine automatically wins everytime, and how ford had to use a supercharger to beat it. Well the Mach1 is an excellent example of that being a very common misconception and for some reason the LS1 crowd doesnt want to admit it. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread