wuts faster a mach 1 or a ls1 ss

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Well said. I think Mach 1's get overlooked by LS1 guys because with minor mods LS1's are in the 11's. Mach 1's move out pretty good stock, but they can't compete with that. There aren't many stock LS1's out there anymore.

In all fairness, the Mach 1 is new so noone has really tapped it's potential yet.

A Fuzzy Bunny

Future Banned Member
Established Member
They run the same average times in the quarter. The Ls1 only makes, on average, about 20rwhp more at best

N20D5OH

Established Member
13.26 @ 104, I'd say that's LS1 territory. I've only lost to one so far, and it was heavily modded.

Mach1Pony

Established Member
From personel experience, I'm going with the Mach1 hands down.

The best I've seen out of a Camaro or Firebird at the track was a 13.2 and that was with intake and exhaust mods with sticky tires.

I have a stock Mach1 and I ran a 13.11 with stock tires and just recently a 13.01 with Drag Radials. If it wasn't for the head wind it would have dipped into the 12.9 range.

I do think if I was driving both cars it would be really close IMO.

I've never raced one from a roll-on in 3rd, so maybe that's where they would be faster?

CGoeschel

Established Member
I had a '99 Ls1 before my '03 Cobra and I've driven many Mach's because I sell them of course............the LS1 is faster...plain and simple....more torque, more horsepower, bigger wider stickier rubber etc. The LS1 motor as most know is underrated in the HP department. Most of them are putting 340+ at the crank. I like the Mach no doubt but it's no '99 SS.

DSGMach714

Established Member
Originally posted by CGoeschel
I had a '99 Ls1 before my '03 Cobra and I've driven many Mach's because I sell them of course............the LS1 is faster...plain and simple....more torque, more horsepower, bigger wider stickier rubber etc. The LS1 motor as most know is underrated in the HP department. Most of them are putting 340+ at the crank. I like the Mach no doubt but it's no '99 SS.

And most Mach's are underrated as well... I've seen Mach's put down 285 RWHP.. That translates to 327 to 342 HP at the crank depending on what "standard" you use for drivetrain loss (15-20%). Most Machs are about 320-330 at the crank from the dyno sheets I've seen. Mach is a slightly lighter vehicle and suspensions is well tuned for drag racing. "faster...plain and simple". I have personal experience racing LS1's and dyno sheets for stock cars to prove that isn't really the case. A stock LS1 is not going to smoke a Mach, not even close. On the street with so many variables, its easily a driver's race.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the DOHC 4.6 runs neck and neck with the almighty (yes I know god himself forged these blocks himself) LS1's!

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
So we've established they are head to head when it comes to stock... Now, whats the word on bolt ons? I dont know a whole lot about the Mach1's when it comes to light(bolt ons) aftermarket modifications.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
It's not even a comparison when you're talking bolt ons. No way Mach's can hit low 11's with bolt ons.

N20D5OH

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
It's not even a comparison when you're talking bolt ons. No way Mach's can hit low 11's with bolt ons.

What do you consider bolt ons? Because bolt ons to me aren't heads/cam/intakes or power adders. Bolt ons are headers, cat backs, gears, converters...etc. To me once you open the motor or use forced induction, it's no longer a bolt on car. I would LOVE to see a LS1 hit low 11's without any of the stuff I excluded. There are two Mach 1's knocking on the 11 second door with true bolt ons right now.

I'm not LS1 dumb either, there are a few of the fastest LS1's in the country around here. Hell, my buddy Al has a 700/700 LS1 and if you're on LS1tech.com I'm sure you'll know who he is.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by N20D5OH
What do you consider bolt ons? Because bolt ons to me aren't heads/cam/intakes or power adders. Bolt ons are headers, cat backs, gears, converters...etc. To me once you open the motor or use forced induction, it's no longer a bolt on car. I would LOVE to see a LS1 hit low 11's without any of the stuff I excluded. There are two Mach 1's knocking on the 11 second door with true bolt ons right now.

I'm not LS1 dumb either, there are a few of the fastest LS1's in the country around here. Hell, my buddy Al has a 700/700 LS1 and if you're on LS1tech.com I'm sure you'll know who he is.

How do you judge the 03 Cobra then just out of curiosity? Switching from the 5 bolt (is it?) Eaton to a Twin Screw Kenne Bell in the 03 Cobra's case would make it a bolt on car.

I see bolt ons as anything you dont have to disessemble the engine to replace. (Air filters, exhausts, throttle bodys, etc etc...)

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
How do you judge the 03 Cobra then just out of curiosity? Switching from the 5 bolt (is it?) Eaton to a Twin Screw Kenne Bell in the 03 Cobra's case would make it a bolt on car.

I see bolt ons as anything you dont have to disessemble the engine to replace. (Air filters, exhausts, throttle bodys, etc etc...)

Bolt ons are just that...no heads, cam, nitrous, etc.

I doubt there will be many Mach1's running these times any time soon.

HERE

N20D5OH

Established Member

It's already supercharged, you're just upgrading. To me that is a bolt on because you're not adding something that wasn't there.

Bolt ons are just that...no heads, cam, nitrous, etc.

I doubt there will be many Mach1's running these times any time soon.

HERE

Don't take this the wrong way, but why aren't you driving an LS1 still? You have a severely skewed view. I never said the LS1 wasn't a great motor and car. Unfortunately you don't want to agree that there is actually a motor that can run with it. This debate started out stock for stock, now we're comparing bolt on cars which I will admit really isn't a comparison right now. Have fun.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I would be driving an LS1 if they made an '03 fbody.

I'm fully aware that there are plenty motors out there that can hang with and some that can destroy the LS1. It's not the be all, end all motor.

I'm not even sure how we got on the bolt on subject. No biggie.

I agree that stock for stock, Mach 1's and LS1's are very close.

JMD0346

Established Member
Respect is fine. The LS1's do deserve respect... However the Mach deserves alittle more credit than its been getting in this thread as well (Esspecially amoungst LS1 owners in general). The Mach1 runs low 13's just like every other LS1 containing automobile has been able to muster in the passed 5 years.

Iv yet to here anyone compliment Ford for producing a car with a N/A 4.6 liter V8 thats been able to run neck and neck with the almighty LS1. All I here about is how the car with the larger engine automatically wins everytime, and how ford had to use a supercharger to beat it. Well the Mach1 is an excellent example of that being a very common misconception and for some reason the LS1 crowd doesnt want to admit it. :shrug:

One good thing though 'Bro. We are starting to see the Mach vs. LS1 debate alot more than the 03. Looks like the tides may have finally turned.:rolling: Judging by these two mustangs, anybody that says they cant hang or they suck because they are small displacment are full of S**T. The potential of OHC, small displacement design, and 10 years of R&D is starting to show for ford. N/A and blown.

Think of all the really powerfull cars in the world. Production cars. Porsche, MB AMG, Astin martin, BMW, SVT, All fast rice rockets etc... They all have something in common. Overhead cams and forced induction(most not all).

Its better and it works.

I think its coming for GM too. Could be some of the reason for the hiatus of the f-body. Maybe they need all resources for new engine designs. They better because they are getting farther behind.

Mach1driver

Established Member

I think the Mach 1 is capable of mid 11's at least with all of the normal bolt-ons.

Users who are viewing this thread