would the GT intake work better on a BOSS engine? lets find out!

pufferfish

Established Member
I just wanted to toss this in for an example of what a fast s2000 driver has the stomach for(I mentioned beating an S2000 to the end of it's life earlier in the thread). If your power is up top, there is no mercy, you have to step outside the box.

My Best Lap Around Summit Point - Short Version - YouTube

MAN, I LOVE THOSE CARS! but, that driver kind of makes my point. he bounced off the rev limiter twice and had to shift before even getting to 7. you lose time every moment you hit the rev limit, as well as every time you shift. if he would have gone up 1 gear into 5 and kept everything else the same, he would have run a faster time, guaranteed.

isrboss

Established Member
9k does tend to sound that way, if Spoon happened to make heads for the S2k like they did for the Civics you could have run it to 11k I think.

Yes it does, and I love it, the main reason I own a Boss is because It's going to 8000rpm, soon haha, still riding the warranty. I know the S2000 is light so it does not take a lot of tq, but it is still all up top. If the driver can't keep the revs up there, then your not ringing it all out.

Did you see that lap time with hardly any tq and hp up top! :rockon:

isrboss

Established Member
MAN, I LOVE THOSE CARS! but, that driver kind of makes my point. he bounced off the rev limiter twice and had to shift before even getting to 7. you lose time every moment you hit the rev limit, as well as every time you shift. if he would have gone up 1 gear into 5 and kept everything else the same, he would have run a faster time, guaranteed.
Absolutely puffer, but that still makes me feel it is more driver dependent. Roush could give me a pole sitting car, and I would not make one clean lap with it. He did bounce a little too long turning into 7, but by his reaction he still made it work. I think he bumped the limiter until he could straighten his wheel some prior to shifting.

Edit: When you have low tq, shifting in a turn becomes more possible. The way I see it is, imagine straightening out the track some in a low tq vehicle. Meaning you're not just shifting on the straights, now in the turns as well. None of us would throw it up to the next gear exiting on to a straight, so we don't need to shift on the straight.

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Quick question:

I already have the Boss intake with stock exhaust manifolds so I wonder if I put longtubes on my car with the Boss intake would I pick up the supposed loss of torque down low to mid which would then equate to the same TQ of the regular GT intake and stock exhaust manifolds????

Boss IM + Longtubes = best of both worlds??

pufferfish

Established Member
Quick question:

I already have the Boss intake with stock exhaust manifolds so I wonder if I put longtubes on my car with the Boss intake would I pick up the supposed loss of torque down low to mid which would then equate to the same TQ of the regular GT intake and stock exhaust manifolds????

I have no proof, but that is my understanding from what others have said. that said, if you went with the headers and the gt intake, you could pick up even more torque:banana:

413 rwtq at 4400rpm is pretty f-ing phenominal!

pufferfish

Established Member
Well, the mission was a failure...it rained heavily all day. I couldn't apply full power ANYWHERE on the track. So, there was definitely no point in switching out intakes and I think I was glad to have had a bit less mid range torque from the boss intake.

I am hoping to make one more attempt in November.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Quick question:

YES! The whole Boss IM making less tq than the Coyote is really overblown. With a tune and exhaust the Boss vs Coyote matchup shows the Boss making slightly more tq at lower RPMS and then the Boss IM really runs away with the power up top till 8400. Hence the ROADRUNNER!!! Sorry had to say it LOL

either way 20lbs tq gained or lost is not even worth analyzing when you have OVER 1,500 MORE RPMS in your power band. Also the Coyote looses power crazy after 66-6700 RPM and the Boss maintains and only slightly drops off (not like a cliff) from the 7550 HP peak until 8400. Thats 850 RPM of OVER REV, which on a track car is HUGE!!

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
Well, the mission was a failure...it rained heavily all day. I couldn't apply full power ANYWHERE on the track. So, there was definitely no point in switching out intakes and I think I was glad to have had a bit less mid range torque from the boss intake.

I am hoping to make one more attempt in November.

Should have hit up SPK, just got back knowing full well that it was raining and it was much more fun then an HPDE.

pufferfish

Established Member
UPDATE: I drove with the boss for 2 weeks. it was perfect. smooth up to redline and had more than a few 8000rpm power shifts. Monday, I put the gt intake on for its 2 week evaluation. yeah, the short story is my boss intake is for sale on ebay right now. there is just no comparison! the gt intake just works better and fits my driving style. the off-idle torque is so much better. I can lug around in 6th all day if I wanted. I used to do 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th shifting in normal driving (with the original engine and gt intake). the boss was a bit hesitant to do this, so I went to a traditional sequential gear rowing strategy. I am now back to being able to skip gears. the mid-range torque difference is BIG. 2nd gear stomp at on ramps was drama free with the boss intake, but is entirely traction limited with the gt intake. if I get some new tires to keep it planted, the gt intake would flat out smoke the boss in this scenario...which is where 3/4 of my enjoyable driving exists.

also, this is preference, but I don't like shifting at 8000 or above very often. its also difficult to do, since my tach stops at 8000 (since its a GT). I am very happy to shift at 7500 with the gt intake on. and, it has more feeling. what I mean is that I don't have to stare down the tach for my shift point, like I do with the boss intake. it just feels like its the right time to shift...if that makes any sense.

so, that's it. my journey is done. who knows which intake would have made a better 1/4 mile pass or lap time? doesn't really matter. my car is 3/4 street driving and 1/4 track. i will be more than happy with 429rwhp@6600/413rwtq@4400 and should be blisteringly fast regardless!

now i need to see how fast this bastard boss engine with a gt intake will go!

isrboss

Established Member
UPDATE: I drove with the boss for 2 weeks. it was perfect. smooth up to redline and had more than a few 8000rpm power shifts. Monday, I put the gt intake on for its 2 week evaluation. yeah, the short story is my boss intake is for sale on ebay right now. there is just no comparison! the gt intake just works better and fits my driving style. the off-idle torque is so much better. I can lug around in 6th all day if I wanted. I used to do 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th shifting in normal driving (with the original engine and gt intake). the boss was a bit hesitant to do this, so I went to a traditional sequential gear rowing strategy. I am now back to being able to skip gears. the mid-range torque difference is BIG. 2nd gear stomp at on ramps was drama free with the boss intake, but is entirely traction limited with the gt intake. if I get some new tires to keep it planted, the gt intake would flat out smoke the boss in this scenario...which is where 3/4 of my enjoyable driving exists.

also, this is preference, but I don't like shifting at 8000 or above very often. its also difficult to do, since my tach stops at 8000 (since its a GT). I am very happy to shift at 7500 with the gt intake on. and, it has more feeling. what I mean is that I don't have to stare down the tach for my shift point, like I do with the boss intake. it just feels like its the right time to shift...if that makes any sense.

so, that's it. my journey is done. who knows which intake would have made a better 1/4 mile pass or lap time? doesn't really matter. my car is 3/4 street driving and 1/4 track. i will be more than happy with 429rwhp@6600/413rwtq@4400 and should be blisteringly fast regardless!

now i need to see how fast this bastard boss engine with a gt intake will go!

Glad you found the intake that best suits you. I thought you were more directed to tracks, not lugging around town. I know I prefer my v-twin in traffic vs an inline 4 sportbike any day, but when the road opens up, well now that's a different story.

pufferfish

Established Member
my car is the "jack of all trades" kind of car. drop the kids off at school, road trips, stop light challenges, time trial racer, occasional strip runs and then put a trailer on back to haul wood from Home Depot.

I use the entire rpm range on a regular basis and I have no doubts it will serve me very well in competition too. the gt intake just does everything better than the boss intake until 6800rpm. and when the boss intake is at its best, its sacrificing engine life.

but, if I thought I was giving up anything significant by sticking with the gt intake, I would sacrifice the around town manorisms and run the boss intake, but it really feels like the gt intake has the upper hand in anything less than stratospheric rpm's. maybe I cut the test off too soon since I never got a good track test comparison, but I needed to come to terms with my season being over. there will be no opportunity for a proper test....well, maybe there's some hope for this Friday. I would like to run at my local strip, but am unsure if there will be enough time to get enough runs in to make a fair comparison. last time I went (last month), I got 2 runs in all night. it was so crowded! I will take both mani's and my tools and see if it works out.

86Fbody

Established Member
my car is the "jack of all trades" kind of car. drop the kids off at school, road trips, stop light challenges, time trial racer, occasional strip runs and then put a trailer on back to haul wood from Home Depot.

I use the entire rpm range on a regular basis and I have no doubts it will serve me very well in competition too. the gt intake just does everything better than the boss intake until 6800rpm. and when the boss intake is at its best, its sacrificing engine life.

but, if I thought I was giving up anything significant by sticking with the gt intake, I would sacrifice the around town manorisms and run the boss intake, but it really feels like the gt intake has the upper hand in anything less than stratospheric rpm's. maybe I cut the test off too soon since I never got a good track test comparison, but I needed to come to terms with my season being over. there will be no opportunity for a proper test....well, maybe there's some hope for this Friday. I would like to run at my local strip, but am unsure if there will be enough time to get enough runs in to make a fair comparison. last time I went (last month), I got 2 runs in all night. it was so crowded! I will take both mani's and my tools and see if it works out.

Going to have to go around 5 or so, they say that is what you can run back to back runs until your wrist and ankle cry out STOP!

pufferfish

Established Member
last year and every year before, you could run until 7:30 or so before the crowd came. don't know what they are doing differently this year? want to join me, Brandon? could use some help with the mani swap if there is enough time to get enough runs in. I would like to see at least 3 on each manifold. might even be able to change the manifolds in the staging lanes!

Grant808

Established Member
it just feels like its the right time to shift...if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense. The GT intake wheezes and it's obvious when you need to shift.

I am surprised that you wouldn't keep the Boss intake for road racing, or at least for a day of testing.

Anyway, thanks for starting this thread...it's been interesting to follow.

pufferfish

Established Member
hang on...

I was taking one final look at my shift chart and realized it wasn't quite fair. I am going to work the chart a bit and report back.

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
OK, so I built my shift graph to show where to shift for a particular intake with a particular rear gear. with equal gear ratios, the gt had a clear advantage until somewhere after 7000rpm.
17w1.jpg

I realized this wasn't fair. rear gearing should be selected based upon max rpm potential for a given shift mph. basically, with the boss' extra 1000rpm, the gear ratio should be higher numerically to allow the shifts to happen at the same mph. so, I added a column and changed my formulas to allow 2 different ratios. one for the gt intake and the other for the boss intake. I kept the 3.55's for the gt and went to 3.73's for the boss, so their shift mph's were close to equal. VERY INTERESTING RESULTS!

l1y5.jpg

hmmm, gets me thinking!

Users who are viewing this thread