would the GT intake work better on a BOSS engine? lets find out!

86Fbody

Established Member
You are going to rack your brain back and forth on this, glad someone else has opened this can of worms.

pufferfish

Established Member
I may end up just trying to get the best time I can with the gt intake and 3.55's on Friday. then change the gears back to 3.73, change to the boss and run the strip another week.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I may end up just trying to get the best time I can with the gt intake and 3.55's on Friday. then change the gears back to 3.73, change to the boss and run the strip another week.

1st, would a 3.90 or 4.10 rear gear be better for the Boss intake than 3.73? 2nd, which intake manifold would have the advantage running the same rear gear ratio from 3.73 to 4.10?

pufferfish

Established Member
the gear selection would be dependent on the tires. with the graph showing nearly 5000lbs of wheel force in 1st gear, that is going to be impossible to keep traction with street tires as it is. adding gear will only make this worse.

with the second chart showing the more "apples to apples" with the proper gear differential between the 2 intakes, you can adjust the ratio to whatever you want and as long as the delta (0.18:1) stays the same between the gears selected for each manifold, the outcome will be the same. make sense?

86Fbody

Established Member
Hate my hair brained ideas, I was gonna suggest that you could always swap the CAI and tune onto my car and run it but there are too many variables to skew the results. Wouldn't entirely stop you though should you take up that offer.

isrboss

Established Member
puffer, I still feel solid that even if the math shows one has the advantage over the other. It will be so minor, that the driver is going to need to be very good to see the small advantage. :shrug:

pufferfish

Established Member
puffer, I still feel solid that even if the math shows one has the advantage over the other. It will be so minor, that the driver is going to need to be very good to see the small advantage. :shrug:

I completely agree! Actually, with my driving style, I think the gt intake will be faster...but it's compelling to see what a gear change can do for the boss intake without changing shift timing!

isrboss

Established Member
I completely agree! Actually, with my driving style, I think the gt intake will be faster...but it's compelling to see what a gear change can do for the boss intake without changing shift timing!
I feel confident the Boss intake will produce a faster clear track lap. My lap times are usually not real consistent, so on any given day I would be faster with either.:lol1:

pufferfish

Established Member
Well, results suck. I need to not be running 2yr old street tires to do any good. I will say, the torque with the gt intake is unbelievable! I broke free every gear and I was granny shifting. I did manage one decent run with a 1.85 60' "launching" at 1200 and feathering the clutch. I did a 12.266@119 I spun bad on the 1-2 gear change but was able to keep it mostly planted from there. Based on the peddling I had to do, if I just had some new street tires, I think I might squeeze an 11.

Side note, that run, I went up against a 911 turbo and blew his doors off (he was DEEP in my rear view)...although he made a great recovery with a 12.45@124!

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldn't say a 1.85 60' on street tires is really that bad. Congrats on a good MPH and whipping the Porsche.

pufferfish

Established Member
No, the 60' was very respectable for the tires I had, but feathering the clutch with a 1200 launch and still getting a 1.85 indicates my torque down low is really amazing and would absolutely rip with slicks!

Voltwings

Established Member
No, the 60' was very respectable for the tires I had, but feathering the clutch with a 1200 launch and still getting a 1.85 indicates my torque down low is really amazing and would absolutely rip with slicks!

Step 1. Buy boss engine
Step 2. Add GT intake
Step 3. Boost of some sort
Step 4. Rev the piss out of it since the Boss engine can, and have a fat midrange from the intake, and a sick top end from boost + RPMs :rockon:

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Step 1. Buy boss engine
Step 2. Add GT intake
Step 3. Boost of some sort
Step 4. Rev the piss out of it since the Boss engine can, and have a fat midrange from the intake, and a sick top end from boost + RPMs :rockon:

Sorta makes sense except for the fact that with the GT intake anything above 7000, let alone 8000RPM is very inefficient with any sort of boost as the GT intake is not designed for that RPM. The Roadrunner engineers spent massive time developing the Boss heads and intake to make the power for 6200 to 7500+up to 8400(302R) Why choke this motor with that intake, just buy a GT.

Now the mods to make to a Boss motor is the 302R exhaust cams, crank sensor, CJ intake, and higher compression pistons(!!) with a Jon Lund tune-Run 100 octane and make 520-560 RWHP! Add some 4.30 gears and run high 10's on slicks if drag racing is your thing. But damn it would be a sick a@@ track day car!!

pufferfish

Established Member
I had one last opportunity to give a comparison before the end of the season and I am thoroughly confused....

2 weeks ago, with the gt intake, I had a traction limited best of:
60': 1.859
330': 5.286
1/8: 8.025
MPH: 91.32
1000: 10.335
1/4: 12.266
MPH: 119.18

Last night I put the boss intake on with its tune and this was my best...
60': 1.910
330': 5.291
1/8: 7.996
MPH: 92.15
1000': 10.282
1/4: 12.212
MPH: 117.93

I did introduce one change which I wouldn't have thought would effect anything but maybe it did. I swapped the gt500 mufflers for stock gt because without cats, it was just too loud for me. I have heard it makes a small difference, but wouldn't have thought the mufflers would drop 1 mph on an intake known to gain 1 mph?

But, that aside, I am not surprised to have a better time with the boss intake. My tires are shot and the lower mid range torque helped keep traction.

So, what do you think? It's all bench racing from here since the season is done.

isrboss

Established Member
Not sure how well the GT mufflers flow up in the 8000 rpm range, or the GT500's for that matter. I haven't been down the 1320' for sometime, but I remember having similar results as yours, but different nights on the same setup. I really don't want to speculate on this type of test, as you said it is merely bench racing now.

I do have a feeling the GT500 mufflers are flowing much better than the GT's, and the GT mufflers did not help the Boss intake and tune. Was the tune done with the GT or 500 mufflers? Do you think that had a negative impact on the mph? What was your highest mph from both?

pufferfish

Established Member
The tunes for both intakes were done with the gt500 mufflers. I did the gt intake pass with the gt500 mufflers and the boss intake with the stock gt mufflers.

I do have a feeling the mph was choked off with the gt mufflers. It actually felt like I needed to shift sooner than 8k, which doesn't make sense for the power curve.

That said, if the mufflers only choke the after 7k rpm's, it's another feather in the cap of the gt intake. I hated the super aggressive and loud sound from the gt500 mufflers.

isrboss

Established Member
I have to admit puffer, I have been a little thrown off in this thread. I'm having a hard time justifying the Boss engine build (but good idea). I'm thinking there are GT guys out there modding the GT motor and running similar 1320" times as yours. While still having better mid range than the Boss. I'm just not sure anymore on what your goal was building a high revving motor.

To me every vehicle without cats sounds like poop, so it does not surprise me you got sick of it already.

pufferfish

Established Member
Since I am a road course racer, I wanted an engine designed for the rigors of running the piss out of it for 20 minutes straight. The intake manifold subject was out of curiosity.

I agree on the catless sounding like "poop", but it sounds just right now with the gt mufflers.

Users who are viewing this thread