would the GT intake work better on a BOSS engine? lets find out!

isrboss

Established Member
Are the GT's losing motors on a road course revving to 7000 or so rpm? I figure swap the oil pan and upgrade the radiator on the GT and you should be good, no?

One of the most overlooked upgrade when on a road course is the oil pan. People love tossing race slicks on there and go, but on a course with extended high load corners, we know what happens.

I never investigated the GT failures, but I will assume they have. On the other side I know a few Boss motors have been eliminated on the track. If someone builds it, someone will break it! lol

pufferfish

Established Member
I don't think there are many gt engine expiring. I had to do an entirely new engine and looked at all avenues, but it was the boss heads that ultimately pushed me into a boss engine. The valvetrain is lighter and better suited to the rpm. The block, pistons, rods and crank were about equal in cost to the gt components, but having the extra robustness and being able to dump the piston cooling squirters to limit windage was a no brainer. Then I added the rr oil pan, billet oil pump gears, boss alternator kit, 3 core aluminum radiator and the lightened drivetrain components to round out my build. I feel my choice in parts will hold up better in the long run. I didn't necessarily do it for performance benefits, but having a bit more does soften the blow in my wallet. For another grand, I could have gotten the big cams and settled in for 500rwhp or more, but it's just not what I need at this point.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Are the GT's losing motors on a road course revving to 7000 or so rpm? I figure swap the oil pan and upgrade the radiator on the GT and you should be good, no?

One of the most overlooked upgrade when on a road course is the oil pan. People love tossing race slicks on there and go, but on a course with extended high load corners, we know what happens.

I never investigated the GT failures, but I will assume they have. On the other side I know a few Boss motors have been eliminated on the track. If someone builds it, someone will break it! lol

I don't know how much better the Boss pan is constructed but according to the now-famous 5.0 Mustang mag article even the standard pan has baffling. I haven't had any noticeable issues tracking the car but I do watch the oil level and run an external ail/oil cooler as well. If I'm wrong then I'll be hitting Pufferfish up for notes during my rebuild:)

OilPan_zpsc4851de9.jpg

Grant808

Established Member
The only GT engine track failure I've heard of was due to lack of engine oil... ;)

Interesting that the Boss intake ran quicker with both the worse 60' *and* lower MPH.

Steve- I have been meaning to ask: Do you still dislike the ratios in the MT82 after putting your torque/speed charts together?

isrboss

Established Member
I know there is additional baffling in the Boss pan. Everyone has there anal point and mine is simple. I won't run race slicks that are capable of generating 1.3+ lateral g without an oil pan designed to perform there along with additional oil capacity. I want to have the FRPP pan installed, but I need to speak to a Ford dealer to see if there is a warranty issue. I spoke to FRPP about this and they made it sound as if a dealer could deny coverage due to the race pan. So since Ford will be picking up the tab on a motor if I was to starve one, I'll do them a solid and stay on street tires. I would hate to add something to the car to help prevent an issue, only to then have warranty claims denied!

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
I got the moroso 10qt pan. It has the proper baffling and trap doors...and the extra oil capacity.

Grant, I really have grown to enjoy the ratios...after dumping the 3.73's for 3.55's! I will say that the charts say a boss engine would be happier with the 3.73's and just suck up a crappy 1st gear ratio fit for a dump truck.

pufferfish

Established Member
Forgot to address grants comment about the time slip difference. The gt intake was traction challenged, which explains why the boss had a better et with worse mph and 60'

isrboss

Established Member
Not so sure it was all a traction issue. Your second 1/8 was 2 mph slower with the Boss, which indicates your top end was crap.

Users who are viewing this thread