Will this be the next generation Supra?

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
I didn't know Saleen made a Rupture car? Why did they not make it. I would rock the Rupture. Looks bad ass.

nicksender

Established Member
They could just start rebuilding the MKIV supra, exactly like it was in 1998 (probably add a fresh interior with modern gizmos like ipod connectivity and bluetooth etc). Same engine, tranny, yaddah yaddah. It would sell like hot cakes.

This man speaks the truth. They could update the interior, throw on some new wheels, and keep everything as it was and it wouldn't look outdated. Unfortunately what killed all those nice import rides like the Supra and RX-7 were price and poor marketing. I can't see much of a market for new $60k+ cars in this economy, at least not enough to justify spening the money in tooling. I wouldn't mind a new second generation MR-2 Turbo!

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Are you by any chance on Porsche's exterior design team :)

I like the car and don't care how it looks. As long as it performs well and pushes everyone to step it up it's a great thing.

Lmao that one got me. :banana:

Real Porschephiles dont want a different looking car. For every new generation of 911 they want a similar looking, same layout, 911 with better performance and gizmos. Thats why the 928/944 turbos didnt take off. They were outperforming the 911's of their time, but Porsche purists shunned them.

New Supra needs to have simlar lines, tail lights, targa or hard top, TT 6 cyl, 6 speed manual or dual clutch options, at least 500hp.

It will cost not lower than 70k. But it wont dissapoint all the people like me who were too young to buy a MKIV when new

tristateZ28Lt1

Established Member
Never a fan of any Supra and this is not a concept for the new one if there is ever one. It's just a fan rendering.

Top Gear: TopGear.com reader renders new Supra
TopGear.com reader renders new Supra - BBC Top Gear

Yes it is only a fan rendering, although a very good one. I'm sure Toyota is listening and watching how people react to these concepts. After all many cars get their ideas from renderings and many have been built as well.

Looks a LOT like the saleen raptor concept from a while back.

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_2_x.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_3_x.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_13_of_22_.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_1_x.jpg

Whatever happened to that concept? Are they ever going to build it? I thought it would've stacked up nicely with the 458, GT2 RS, etc.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
They could just start rebuilding the MKIV supra, exactly like it was in 1998 (probably add a fresh interior with modern gizmos like ipod connectivity and bluetooth etc). Same engine, tranny, yaddah yaddah. It would sell like hot cakes.

The turbo MKIV was a $42k ~ car in 98, with inflation that puts it in the $50k range today. It was a 320hp, 3500lb car; it would need quite a bit more to compete with cars available in that price range today.

Look at the 2011-2012 GT500 which runs mid-low 12s@115-118mph, pulls 1.00Gs on the skidpad, brakes from 60mph in under 106ft, etc. The ZL1 with it's magnetic ride, LSA and enormous brakes.

or the LS3 Corvette which runs the same 1/4 mile times with similar or even better handling capabilities.

Also, both cars will easily run 11s @120mph+ on pump gas with minor bolt-ons.

As awesome as the Supra is, not everyone turns it into a big single monster, (just like everyone doesn't throw a 3.4L whipple on a GT500).. Out of the box it will run in the 13.3 range @ 106-108mph, BPU on pump gas in the 12s @ 114mph~ and on race gas / e85 11s@116-119mph.

The Supra was an amazing car, but I think it's following precedes it. Today's cars would mop the floor with it stock and mildly modified. I respect the Supra can handle 80932430924rwhp on the stock IRS/6spd, but how many people actually build them to do so?

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
If Toyota was smart they would create a Supra that's competition for the 370Z and Mustang GT.

N/A in the 400hp range, RWD, 3,300-3,400lbs and roughly $31k. It would sell like crazy. ****, I'd consider buying one.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
resembles a 350/370Z too much for my taste as well. But I think they should definitely bring it back though.

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
I really hope not.

If Toyota wants to hit a homerun they're going to have to pull a Ford S197 and make the new Supra a throwback to the one all of it's fans grew up on. Bring back the wing, those awesome taillights, and the rest of that simple but awesome look.

exactly, the car looks good but does not look too much like a Supra

SVT Pille

Established Member
Off topic but I wonder what the re-released Terminator is gonna look like whenever that day happens. Afterall it is the Supra of it's own decade.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Off topic but I wonder what the re-released Terminator is gonna look like whenever that day happens. Afterall it is the Supra of it's own decade.

Terminator, lol. The re-released 03-04 Cobra is the GT500. It's an SVT Mustang that's been evolving ever since, just with a different badge.

slow90coupe

Established Member
Looks like shit. The early 80's Supras are better looking than this. I agree, they need to make a throwback car to the MK4 days. Keep the original body, just make a better interior (the original one lacks in this department IMO) and do some light mods to the ol' 2JZ so it will make about 350RWHP N/A and about 450 in the turbo models. There's the next best selling car right there.

Users who are viewing this thread