Will this be the next generation Supra?

61mmstang94

Established Member
I can't see much of a market for new $60k+ cars in this economy, at least not enough to justify spening the money in tooling. I wouldn't mind a new second generation MR-2 Turbo!
Nissan hasn't had trouble selling GT-Rs. Still enough people with money who would buy it, don't be so closed minded. :poke:

If Toyota was smart they would create a Supra that's competition for the 370Z and Mustang GT.

N/A in the 400hp range, RWD, 3,300-3,400lbs and roughly $31k. It would sell like crazy. ****, I'd consider buying one.
That's about the most horrible idea in the thread (and that says a lot on here). It would defeat the purpose of what a Supra symbolizes and what people loved it for. You act as though they can't produce a 6-cyl. turbo setup from the factory that would mop the floor with a GT500.

I would say if and when it does come to reality, it'll be competition with the GT-R, Porsche...forget a mustang gt and 370Z, if they come out with a new iteration of the Supra there won't be much of a comparison. :bored:

Last edited:

boostaholick

Established Member
I believe they may come out with this, I'm not a fan...but looks like it will use that new lexus "supercar" chassis..

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That's about the most horrible idea in the thread (and that says a lot on here). It would defeat the purpose of what a Supra symbolizes and what people loved it for. You act as though they can't produce a 6-cyl. turbo setup from the factory that would mop the floor with a GT500.

I never acted as if they couldn't do anything fanboy. I'm simply stating my opinion.

An MKIV turbo Supra with inflation would cost $50,000 or more today. I'd rather have a 400hp-450hp N/A car that's priced competitively with the Mustang GT, Camaro SS and 370Z. They hold a WAY bigger market share over $50k+ cars in this shitty economy, and most importantly it's a car that I would be able to personally afford.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Terminator, lol. The re-released 03-04 Cobra is the GT500. It's an SVT Mustang that's been evolving ever since, just with a different badge.

No way, I've never seen it that way. You go from a Cobra with a factory supercharged 4.6, 6 speed and IRS to a retro styled, heavier car with a solid axle, supercharged 5.4 and an increased price tag due to the Shelby name. I can't wait for them to finally drop the Shelby name and make a COBRA again.

With the new chasis design on the horizon that is supposed to be lighter and sport an IRS and hopefully not at all retro styled(would like to see them pick up where the SN95 left off looks wise) it will be quite a different car than what we have now.

On paper the Shelby is the decendent of the Cobra but for a lot of us mustang enthusiasts it is anything but.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
No way, I've never seen it that way. You go from a Cobra with a factory supercharged 4.6, 6 speed and IRS to a retro styled, heavier car with a solid axle, supercharged 5.4 and an increased price tag due to the Shelby name. I can't wait for them to finally drop the Shelby name and make a COBRA again.

With the new chasis design on the horizon that is supposed to be lighter and sport an IRS and hopefully not at all retro styled(would like to see them pick up where the SN95 left off looks wise) it will be quite a different car than what we have now.

On paper the Shelby is the decendent of the Cobra but for a lot of us mustang enthusiasts it is anything but.

I see what you're saying, but I think when the next generation SVT Mustangs come out they will cost just as much if not more than the current GT500.

Despite being heavier with a SRA it will run circles around an 03-04 on a race track, drag strip or on the street. Not to mention, it's a nicer car, the new chassis is more refined offering a way better ride than what our old Mustangs offered.

In 2004 there was an $11,000 split between a premium GT and a Cobra.
For 2012 models there is a $13,000 split between the two.

V6 Mustang premium coupe 2004 - $19k
V6 Mustang premium coupe 2012- $27k

Premium GT coupe 2004 - $24k
Premium GT coupe 2012 - $33k

2004 Cobra coupe - $35k
2012 GT500 coupe - $48k

So there might be a little markup that comes associated with the GT500 badge, but it's not much. In general the quality and thus cost has just gone up over the years. That goes for everything, 370zs are quite a bit more than 350Zs, 5th generation Camaros to 4th gens, loaded C6s to loaded C5s, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread