Will this be the next generation Supra?

SVT Pille

Established Member
I really hope not.

If Toyota wants to hit a homerun they're going to have to pull a Ford S197 and make the new Supra a throwback to the one all of it's fans grew up on. Bring back the wing, those awesome taillights, and the rest of that simple but awesome look.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Looks like a slightly warmed over LFA to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing per se. I remember when the LFA was going to be "the new Supra" and then it morphed into auto-unobtanium by mere mortals. I can also see how folks would say it looks like the 370/GTR as well.

Like other my guess would be if they build that car it'll end up somewhere between the GT-R to 911 turbo power and price range.

Third Honk

It's OK, I'm Handsome
Established Member
They could just start rebuilding the MKIV supra, exactly like it was in 1998 (probably add a fresh interior with modern gizmos like ipod connectivity and bluetooth etc). It would sell like hot cakes.

Are you by any chance on Porsche's exterior design team :)

I like the car and don't care how it looks. As long as it performs well and pushes everyone to step it up it's a great thing.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
If they bring it back, guaranteed it will be based off the lfa platform. Like pille said, if they want to hit a homerun they'll have to just update the mk4. IMO even though they're obviously old, it's a super rock solid platform/motor/trans/drivetrain. Toyota did a great job with the mk4, 2jz etc. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd love to see them bring it back. Although I will say the concept looks pretty good, I like it. Some of the lines are a bit extreme, but after all it is a concept.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
there is no way that car as pictured will have an under $80k pricetag.

I agree, they really need to pick up where the 98 Supra left off. Take those body lines, modernize it, throw a 400hp factory forged motor in there and some good suspension, mate it to a 6spd manual or 6spd flappypaddle shiftbox and call it done.

God I would love for a company to come out, have the capital to buy the rights to old vehicles body lines, scan them and then build a modern chassis to work with the old shell/skins. Could you imagine what you could charge for a 68 Camaro SS looking vehicle with the modern day Camaro interior, modern motor, unibody construction so it meets all modern crash/safety yadda yadda, with modern day reliability? Or a 67 Fastback with S197 underpinnings and a 5.4L 4V under the hood? Hell Id love someone to take a 2g DSM and engineer it lighter and build it to work with the newer Genesis 2.0t/RWD platform.

BM1

Established Member
God I hope not. What a way to shit on the name if the put it on that ugly thing.

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
there is no way that car as pictured will have an under $80k pricetag.

I agree, they really need to pick up where the 98 Supra left off. Take those body lines, modernize it, throw a 400hp factory forged motor in there and some good suspension, mate it to a 6spd manual or 6spd flappypaddle shiftbox and call it done.

God I would love for a company to come out, have the capital to buy the rights to old vehicles body lines, scan them and then build a modern chassis to work with the old shell/skins. Could you imagine what you could charge for a 68 Camaro SS looking vehicle with the modern day Camaro interior, modern motor, unibody construction so it meets all modern crash/safety yadda yadda, with modern day reliability? Or a 67 Fastback with S197 underpinnings and a 5.4L 4V under the hood? Hell Id love someone to take a 2g DSM and engineer it lighter and build it to work with the newer Genesis 2.0t/RWD platform.

Kinda like year one? They obviously don't really update the bodies but they use new drivetrains in classics. Like the bandit T/A :rockon:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Looks a LOT like the saleen raptor concept from a while back.

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_2_x.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_3_x.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_13_of_22_.jpg

saleen_s5s_raptor_concept_1_x.jpg

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
even if its 60K. thats really not that bad overall considering a Z06 is 80K

(didn't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already said)

the twin turbo supra's and mitsu's 3000gt, and the mazda rx-7, and nissan's 300zx were all about 40K cars in the mid 90's... that's about a 60K-80K in today's standards. it wouldn't surprise me to see toyota capitalize on the GT-R's popularity and make it around the same price...

CFRacer22

Established Member
looks like a mix between the 370Z and Audi R8 (just the side scoop), both of which I like. Great looking car!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread