why ill be running catch cans...both sides!

snakebite72

Established Member
Your pcv system is basically useless at WOT where there is almost no vacuum in your intake (FI people pay attention) the blowby in your crankcase will look for a way out and since your engine is at high rpm your oil becomes a mist cuz of all the moving parts in your cylinder head, blowby gases start coming out thru the pcv and the fresh air inlet and guess what these gases are taking with it? yup... the mist of oil created by your eng itself and starts accumulating in your intake and some even makes it to your combustion chamber, the problem is that oil is known to lower your octane rating this is why is so critical for you forced induction guys out there. Now... with boost comes even more blowby so thats even more gases trying to come out... i have always strongly recommended a good catch can set up specially for FI engines like the ones pictured above... i have had a few customers install breathers trying to save a buck but on FI engines they come saturated with oil to the point where they start dripping creating a mess under your hood.

snakebite72

Established Member
totally agree... these engines need a baffled valve cover, i dont know if they have them already but if they do... they are not working at all. The amount of oil passing thru is way to much.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Your pcv system is basically useless at WOT where there is almost no vacuum in your intake (FI people pay attention) the blowby in your crankcase will look for a way out and since your engine is at high rpm your oil becomes a mist cuz of all the moving parts in your cylinder head, blowby gases start coming out thru the pcv and the fresh air inlet and guess what these gases are taking with it? yup... the mist of oil created by your eng itself and starts accumulating in your intake and some even makes it to your combustion chamber, the problem is that oil is known to lower your octane rating this is why is so critical for you forced induction guys out there. Now... with boost comes even more blowby so thats even more gases trying to come out... i have always strongly recommended a good catch can set up specially for FI engines like the ones pictured above... i have had a few customers install breathers trying to save a buck but on FI engines they come saturated with oil to the point where they start dripping creating a mess under your hood.

I agree that they should def be changed often.

I change the oil usually every 1000 miles at the most on the car, and change the breathers a couple times per year.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

alex12gt

Established Member

Jukens

Established Member
I deleted my pcv system as well with my boosted application. Even with a catch can I was still getting oil into the intake manifold.

Yagermeister

Established Member
What would happen if you used the GT500 pcv valves on the passenger side (common practice now) AND the drivers side (fresh air side)?

RFM50

Established Member
I have the gt500 Pcv on the passenger side and stock on the drivers side and the breather with the g500 Pcv valve is still clean and the one with the stock Pcv is oil soaked.

Yagermeister

Established Member
If you run a GT500 pcv valve (more restricted than stock) on the fresh air side would you over pressurize the crankcase and blow out your front crankcase seal or worse your oil pan gasket?

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
here is my setup. gonna make some changes too it one day when i get off my lazy ass. want to get a Y fitting the replace the T fitting and go slightly bigger hose. this was made with stuff laying around the garage.

DSCN1946.jpg

DSCN1950.jpg

DSCN1949.jpg

DSCN1951.jpg

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I can't seem to find any. Your setup is nice. What catch can is that?

its a jegs moroso knock off. cant remember where i got it. used it on my lightning and it worked great. there is a drain on the bottom too so that helps out. best part is that the can is in the "vacuum" area of the intake so i have no fumes or oil smell in the car even with the a/c or heater on.

snakebite72

Established Member
If you run one on the fresh air side would you over pressurize the crankcase and blow out your front crankcase seal or worse your oil pan gasket?

you need to make the set up as free flowing as posible, the less restriction the better, crankcase pressure will robb you of horsepower, it takes a lot of pressure for that to happen but it is possible.

CPRsm

What???!!!!

so let me get this straight... you rather get the oil in the intake witch eventually will end up traveling to your cylinder mixing with fuel lowering your octane and causing detonation? (we all know what that does) specially on FI engines... BTW boost alone will help your rings seal... I dont even think you can measure the amount of vacuum produced by the pcv in the crankcase, passenger side is the actual pcv valve witch the hose is under vacuum, drivers side is fresh air inlet witch is measured cuz its feeds at the intake tube after the mass air this is why you shouldn't just install a breather on this side only, the correct way is to run it like the pics above.
Vacuum helps promote seal under cruising for mpg. Cylinder pressure does seal rings. But there is HP in crankcase vacuum at WOT. Using a PVC doesn't mean you can't use an oil separator. Under WOT w n/a there isn't much vacuum if the throttle body is big enough. With forced induction I run a check valve to keep boost out and another vent to the exhaust if possible that will draw vacuum under WOT. These stock intakes have low hung runners which can puddle, and maybe the baffling on the stock PVC sucks from the get go. But I've done a few high HP pump gas engines and they all run pcv's. No problems yet.

Users who are viewing this thread