why ill be running catch cans...both sides!

snakebite72

Established Member
The problem is that I havent found a oil separator that works... some are better than others but till now all of them let a bit of oil go thru... I totally agree with you on the crankcase vacuum adds horsepower thats why drag racers, nascar and others use this... specially on dry sump systems but its not practical to run a vacuum pump on a street car, it seems to be tha nature of the engine , I used to run a pcv on push rod 302's back in the days with no problems but these now engines have so many moving parts... add rpms and you have the oil mist that we are all trying to keep out of our intakes...

blackvette101

Established Member
I learned this lesson the hard way when i had a 700+ whp boosted C6. I deleted my PCV because I was still getting oil through the catch can. Bad idea. You need some form of vacumn pulling the air out of the crankcase. Either dry sump system, a mechanical vac pump, or you could attach the PCV to the exhaust instead of the intake and the exhaust pulses will pull it out, or go buy an electric vacumn pump that should pull enough. The blowby that comes through on normal driving condition will mess the engine up over a period of time.

snakebite72

Established Member
remember that a oil separator is what it states a oil separator... witch installs in line with your pcv valve, this may help but i haven't seen one that stops the oil completely, yes... you could run a vacuum pump but its really not needed unless you are looking to get all the HP out of your engine, a good baffled catch can works very good... oil accumulates because of the baffles in the can and lets the gasses flow right out... that's why you see a filter on top of these catch cans, remember to make your system as free flow as possible.

Last edited:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
here is my setup. gonna make some changes too it one day when i get off my lazy ass. want to get a Y fitting the replace the T fitting and go slightly bigger hose. this was made with stuff laying around the garage.

DSCN1949.jpg

Don't you think you are pooling oil in the line that comes off the T and actually runs to the can? I was always taught that all lines should run uphill to your can so any excess will just drain back in to the engine.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Don't you think you are pooling oil in the line that comes off the T and actually runs to the can? I was always taught that all lines should run uphill to your can so any excess will just drain back in to the engine.

yea its a project under works. when i first did all this i was drunk so i didnt think about it. i am going to re route that line soon. car doesnt get driven all that much.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
The problem is that I havent found a oil separator that works... some are better than others but till now all of them let a bit of oil go thru...

exactly, paid good money for one last year and i had the same amount of oil going into my intake.that part is now hanging on my wall b/c no one will buy it. I fought this with my lightning and the only thing that worked was using a catch can (same one i use on my car). never effected my MPG or HP. hell my exhaust tips stay cleaner now too.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The problem is that I havent found a oil separator that works... some are better than others but till now all of them let a bit of oil go thru... I totally agree with you on the crankcase vacuum adds horsepower thats why drag racers, nascar and others use this... specially on dry sump systems but its not practical to run a vacuum pump on a street car, it seems to be tha nature of the engine , I used to run a pcv on push rod 302's back in the days with no problems but these now engines have so many moving parts... add rpms and you have the oil mist that we are all trying to keep out of our intakes...

I added a jlt catch can when i had around 800 miles on my car. Pulled the intake at around 8k for the boss manifold and maybe saw 1 tiny spot of oil.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

CPRsm

I haven't seen enough with these to be honest. You could be right. Most of my Experience is pushrods also, not even w a seperator. But over 100 pulls on my 5.4v making 800-1000hp on 91 without problem. But lots of guys are running electric vacuum pumps. I forget the pump they ise though. Lazy bastards got tired of replacing intake and pan gaskets LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread