why ill be running catch cans...both sides!

alex12gt

Established Member
well ive got a tvs setup and started to pull the motor apart and found some shocking amounts of oil in the intake....as of this point i was only running the passenger side but know i will be running drivers side or might even run a breather....car only has 7200 miles and 4k on the blower

2012-12-02_17-41-54_626.jpg

2012-12-02_18-21-41_500.jpg

2012-12-02_18-51-50_283.jpg

2012-12-02_19-06-05_333.jpg

2012-12-02_19-04-54_148.jpg

2012-12-02_19-06-10_925.jpg

04compgt

Established Member
I ran catch cans on both sides since day 1 on a n/a application and at 250 miles I pulled my intake off to put a boss intake on and found a puddle of oil in my intake manifold. After that I deleted my pcv system and went with a single catchcan with a breather on it. I checked my boss intake after 10k miles and it was dry and free of oil.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I'm running duel breathers on my Stock 13". Rather than spend $60 on the JPC kit I built my own with colored breathers from advanced auto for $28.

IMAG0030.gif

I also just added a GT500 valve on my passenger side. I never did get any oil in my intake but i didn't want to risk it.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I ran a hose from each PCV to a y fitting then to a catch can with filter. Placed the catch can beside the air filter on my jlt cai. Works great.

mazroth

Established Member
Curious with this as well, currently using two catch cans, they catch oil, but like others have shown, I know some is getting pass.

Others have mentioned the pcv system is there for a reason, and not to bother it.

Dont believe those of us with the TVS can use a breather on both sides.

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Yeah I was in shock with how much was in my catch can after only 200 miles!!! I do tend to drive my car a LITTLE harder now that its not my DD but I wasnt doing any heavy engine braking at all or beating the piss out of it. Have now idea why I didnt get one sooner!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Curious with this as well, currently using two catch cans, they catch oil, but like others have shown, I know some is getting pass.

Others have mentioned the pcv system is there for a reason, and not to bother it.

The PCV is there for emissions.
If not for the gov eveything would still be vented to atmosphere as it was years ago.

It is there for NO other reason.

alex12gt

Established Member

I know on the drivers side but not sure on the pass

CPRsm

Keep ur pcv's. They keep the crankcase under vacuum which helps promote ring seal. Even race cars run pcv's even if on a pump. If it pressurizes too bad and pushes oil up thru the ring pack, bye bye cylinder.

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
Keep ur pcv's. They keep the crankcase under vacuum which helps promote ring seal. Even race cars run pcv's even if on a pump. If it pressurizes too bad and pushes oil up thru the ring pack, bye bye cylinder.

So, are catch-cans(oil seperators) safe?

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm not deleting them, but I'm going to let it vent freely (dump under the car)

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Anyone know the part number for the Peterson can seen in those pictures?

snakebite72

Established Member

What???!!!!

so let me get this straight... you rather get the oil in the intake witch eventually will end up traveling to your cylinder mixing with fuel lowering your octane and causing detonation? (we all know what that does) specially on FI engines... BTW boost alone will help your rings seal... I dont even think you can measure the amount of vacuum produced by the pcv in the crankcase, passenger side is the actual pcv valve witch the hose is under vacuum, drivers side is fresh air inlet witch is measured cuz its feeds at the intake tube after the mass air this is why you shouldn't just install a breather on this side only, the correct way is to run it like the pics above.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok I put a vac gauge on my lightning PCV system and got like 1 inlb of vacuum at wot..... Not enough to do much if you ask me. However if you got a vacuum pump like I had on my trans am you can get quite I bit of vacuum that will actually help. The simple answer for this has been stated as emissions. If you want a true fix to this issue you would need baffled valve covers, good PCV and a inline filter. Even then it wouldn't stop vapors. Iv spent plenty of money on this issue and have said f it and just made my setup. Il post pics later.

Users who are viewing this thread