Why get billet OPGs?

corepwn

Established Member
So I posted on here that last April my stock motor gave up the OPGs during a rev limiter hit on a track pass.
I shut it down at the top and towed it home..

Anyway, a new motor has been in the car since last June and I'm just now getting around to pulling the stock engine apart.

Looks like I was very lucky, and aside from the oil pump the rest of the motor has almost no damage but I wanted to share these pics because I thought it was a bad ass failure.. I haven't seen any where the housing broke too.

The images are huge so I'm not posting in this thread directly, but here's a link to the album.
http://imgur.com/a/XRixV

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
woah dude thanks for the high qual pics. that's some serious carnage. i'm saving those photos to show people from now on..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn that is intense!

I think the stock bottom end is tougher than people give it credit for.

It's the OPGs that fail first which then takes out the bottom end.

What RPM did you see when they failed?

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
Damn that is intense!

I think the stock bottom end is tougher than people give it credit for.

It's the OPGs that fail first which then takes out the bottom end.

What RPM did you see when they failed?

Rev limiter was at 7600. The car was around 660-675rwhp I believe (10.24@134, 3900lbs). I had been going through some issues in the tune for shifts for some time so this wasn't the first limiter hit either.

I'm not disappointed at all. I had about 19000 miles on this stock engine with 9-11lbs of boost, and probably 50 track passes in the 10s. The insides of the engine still look factory fresh even so had the OPGs not given up, I bet it would have kept on going without incident.

I am thinking about putting in a forged rotating assembly but now leaning towards just putting in new rod/main bearings (billet OPGs..) and call it a day. Maybe put it in a fox and run it NA as another toy/project or see what the market will bear for a complete engine at that point.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
This is why I am doing my OPG in a month. I wish I would have known about it when I originally did my SC.

corepwn

Established Member
Nice pics! Just curious why you didn't use the old engine as a base for your new engine?

Time. Building an engine up takes time no matter if you do it yourself or if you send to a builder. At the time I wasn't 100% sure how much damage there was and the notable builders were quoting 8-10 weeks for a forged build up. I was able to order an 11.0 Aluminator w/OPGs and have it at my door in about 9 days.

Total downtime was short, but more out of pocket expense than a forged rebuild of the short block for sure. I was willing to pay for that.

nate714

Established Member
I'm glad you posted this, I don't have the budget for boost yet but I will definitely invest in a better OPG when the time comes! Good pictures too.

Bgoins

Established Member
Time. Building an engine up takes time no matter if you do it yourself or if you send to a builder. At the time I wasn't 100% sure how much damage there was and the notable builders were quoting 8-10 weeks for a forged build up. I was able to order an 11.0 Aluminator w/OPGs and have it at my door in about 9 days.

Total downtime was short, but more out of pocket expense than a forged rebuild of the short block for sure. I was willing to pay for that.

Makes sense to me! Thanks

BMR Tech

Great post and thanks for sharing!

This happened to a local friend of mine, member on here actually - Jim Braun (Fabbed5.0)

His OPG also failed while racing, and the housing broke/cracked too.

He replaced them with billet OPG, and is back to running mid 9's in it.

Billet OPG is DEFINITELY a good upgrade to do on a forced induction car.

q6543

Established Member
So did the gears crack, then the housing?
If I put in opgs, do I worry About the housing?

DaBigBone

Established Member
Ouch! I'll definitely be going with some billet gears when I get my blower installed

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
So glad I did this when I was doing my TT install. It's a pain in the ass, and actually had to do it twice because I was 1 link off when reinstalling the timing chains. Overall it was a good learning experience and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again

clc44

Established Member
Are billet OPG necessary for a bolt on auto? Same with CJ?

Thanks! Great pics op. Plus mine rarely sees wot or track passes.

Users who are viewing this thread