Why get billet OPGs?

corepwn

Established Member
In almost every case I've heard of it's not just about the amount of power you apply to them, but the mixture of high power and a shock (like a rev limiter hit) that breaks the weak gears.

Like I wrote, these gears lived at a relatively high power for a good time. I personally wouldn't worry about a bolt on car, but at the same time the extra insurance doesn't hurt either.

WIPLASH1

Established Member
I thought turbo cars would be somewhat immune to breaking the OPG's because they don't have the crank harmonics or stress of the blower belt. I was wrong. Mine broke during a highway pull and forgot to bump it into drive, it hit the rev limiter hard, and they let go. Expensive mistake!

jose.morales.56

I thought turbo cars would be somewhat immune to breaking the OPG's because they don't have the crank harmonics or stress of the blower belt. I was wrong. Mine broke during a highway pull and forgot to bump it into drive, it hit the rev limiter hard, and they let go. Expensive mistake!

So what actually happens on opg failure? Never seen one

Zona14Stang

Established Member
So what actually happens on opg failure? Never seen one
Oil pressure goes bye bye causing motor to seize, maybe put a window in the block , mess up the heads , hole bunch of bad things. My buddies motor seized with his twin turbo's because the OPG's cracked and he lost oil pressure. I believe it damaged his heads as well. Rule of thumb, too me anyway if installing FI (turbo/upercharger) just install the billet OPG's at the same time it really is not that much more work. :) If anything it is a little insurance. Remember you still could blow the motor but usually the OPG's are the next weak link. It can happen so fast you punch it, once breaks loose hits the limiter and poof.

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
I think the damage varies depending on how long you go without noticing. In my case, the majority of components are fine. The crank is getting a re-polishing on the journals, and I'll be putting it back together with new sets of Main and Rod bearings. After looking over the top end it's perfect.

All buttoned back up it'll be ready to rock again with a new oil pump and billet OPGs. I'm looking at potential project cars to swap it into now or it will go onto the market as a complete engine + harness.

Offaxis

Boosted MoFo..
Established Member
about to order a set. I'm pushing my luck at this point

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread