why do people make things harder?

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Listen here you stupid mother f u c k e r, An off road H Pipe on a old car is fine for the street. a spool on the other hand, will not allow a vehicle to maneuver tight turns, in a addition, if a spool equipped vehicle negotiates a wet free way corner when it is raining, the said vehicle will spin out and crash because there is not differential action. it would be the same as yanking the E brake while cornering. Have a nice day snake boy :pop:
uh hmm, and you would know this from not ever driving a vehicle with a spool :rollseyes ..ummm yaaa okay :rolleyes: ...DA snake boy!!!

hatsharpener

Established Member
duane v said:
Your stang wont see that mph at any SoCal track, youll be in for a straight up shock what your stang would mph at LACR...2000 feet above sea level :( ...DA snake boy!!!!
I'd love to run with a DA less than 5,000' myself. Track sits at 3200' before correction.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Listen here you stupid mother f u c k e r, An off road H Pipe on a old car is fine for the street. a spool on the other hand, will not allow a vehicle to maneuver tight turns, in a addition, if a spool equipped vehicle negotiates a wet free way corner when it is raining, the said vehicle will spin out and crash because there is not differential action. it would be the same as yanking the E brake while cornering. Have a nice day snake boy :pop:

I personally have driven a mustang with a spool in the rain on several occasions. I'll admit the steering wants to argue with you during some turns, but overall, it's not a big deal. You just have to pay more attention to your surroundings and "feel" what the car is doing/wants to do. Definitely not the extreme worst case scenerio as you describe.

Snow... I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable driving a "spooled" mustang in the snow. But, that's not at all what we're talking about anyway.

Quadcammer, buddy... I don't have a problem with you, it's just that sometimes you tend to shoot people down with your negative comments. As such, it should be no surprise to get negative comments right back. It's just how we, as people, defend our beliefs. I personally don't like centrifical superchargers one bit. But you haven't heard a peep out of me because really, my oppinion means this --->ll<--- much to you... So I don't express it (fwiw, pretend that's me holding my fingers as close together as possible).

Anyway, it's 12:30 in Utah gents. Time for bed.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
hatsharpener said:
I'd love to run with a DA less than 5,000' myself. Track sits at 3200' before correction.

I'm with ya. Our track here is physically at 4300 ft, but it's a rare occasion to see our air anywhere less than 7000 corrected (honest).

106 mph at our track is for mildly supercharged cars. To give you guys an idea, mostly stock '03-04 cobras trap right around 104-108 here (same with z06's). Mostly stock 99-01's trap around 95-100 mph. Machs around 97-103 mph.

Yea, love our air (cough, choke, weeze).

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:

My god...how the hell did we ever drive cars before limited slip/posi was invented?

'dorkasaurus'...LOL.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
lasercobra said:
I miss the days when people would talk hard facts and get into an intillectual debate- perhaps flex some brain muscle. Unlike this thread were certain people come to vent their aggressions and fling poo all over the forum rather then talk things out.
Nana-nana-boo-boo type replies don't make for great arguments and are not good fun.

:sleeping:

:beer: I have to agree with you. For the most part people are being openly objective. I am not sure what duane is trying to prove but he is being derogatory and negative. No ones opinions matters to him. I am at least trying to see both sides and make an unbiased opinion rather than talk trash and bad mouth people for disagreeing with me.

come on duane lighten up a little. You have been through the same options that I and quadcammer have also been through and all of us are well beyond basic boltons so why all the bs?

cobraracer46

Banned
lemosley01 said:
My god...how the hell did we ever drive cars before limited slip/posi was invented?

'dorkasaurus'...LOL.
Before limited slip diffs, there where "open diffs". Open diffs and posi rear ends both allow the rear wheels to turn at different rates while negotiating a turn. In simplified terms, the posi differential has a torque bias built in to it via worm gears or clutch packs so power is transferred to the wheel with the most traction. A spool is a solid connection and has no differential action so both rear wheels turn at the same rate at all times. Since the rear wheels must turn at a different rates when negotiating a turn, a spool has no place on a street driven car.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
You know what, I totally agree with you. I mean why is it that some people do foolish and weird mods like deleting the PCV system and putting breathers on the valve covers and then to top it off, when the driver starts to complain about all the oil fumes entering the cabin from those cool looking breathers, instead of doing the right thing and putting the PCV valve back in, they follow the advice on some forum and put socks over the breathers? :nonono:
I guess if a Cobra starts leaking oil from the oil pan then the owner can follow the PCV sock breather fix example and duck tape some baby diapers to the oil pan. :-D Another really weird mod for the street would be a spool. :burn:
Spools are fine for drag race only vehicles, but they have no place on a street driven vehicle.
I have socks over my breathers and have zero oil smell. Gas fumes from the dumped o/r exhaust, yes. no oil though

duane v

Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
:beer: I have to agree with you. For the most part people are being openly objective. I am not sure what duane is trying to prove but he is being derogatory and negative. No ones opinions matters to him. I am at least trying to see both sides and make an unbiased opinion rather than talk trash and bad mouth people for disagreeing with me.

come on duane lighten up a little. You have been through the same options that I and quadcammer have also been through and all of us are well beyond basic boltons so why all the bs?
Im not disagreeing with quadcammer at all...Im just stating that whatever path a person takes first is ok, go back and re-read my post directed at quadcammer....As for the other tard, I have not one ounce of respect for him, if it isnt to the Ford Riot Act right down to the letter, its wrong :rolleyes: ....DA snake boy!!!!

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Not trying to flame you duane, but didn't you even say youself that the spool eats up your tires pretty quick on the street? I've driven a friends Monte on the street with a spool and every tight turn it feels like I'm just chewing miles off the tires. And even he admits he won't drive it in the rain because it can come around one him so easily. My buddies jeep with a spool hops like a rabbit on tight turns. If you're smart you can drive a spool just fine on the street, I just wouldn't want to be paying for the tire bill.

Also I think people are getting Quad all wrong.

The basic hotrodder buys a car and doesn't immediately have huge bucks to go blow on a mod. His list is simply a proven formula that WORKS. You spend your money little by little as you acquire it and suddenly you have a pretty nice setup. Change the order a little, yeah whatever... you do those mods and your car is gonna make decent power and pull like hell. I don't know why people are trying to complicate this? To install cams in my motor would be a nightmare. To find a reputable shop that knows mod motors and trust them that their work isn't going to take a crap in a year seems like just a lot of trouble for minimal gain. You have the tools and knowledge like daune v does to do this more economically, than maybe its smart to do. But for the average guy, I'd say stick to a more basic mod list like Quad has setup.

Paul

Quadcammer

Established Member
as grande said, im not stating that this is the only way to fly. Im also not saying that cams don't work.

however, going through the trouble of installing cams, and getting it tuned on a stock car is somewhat silly. With cams you may have idle, driveability, and mpg concerns, and if not, you will have a fairly significant dyno tuning labor bill because it takes time to get it right.

with the suggested mod list, you can do one thing without the other and can build upon it. In addition to the power, you get a great sound from the exhaust and intake, and improved gas mileage (the gears notwithstanding).

of course people will do what they want, but a nice set of basic bolt ons are cheap, easy to install, effective, and lets face it, you can sell a set of used pullies or exhaust easily if you don't like it.

If you don't like the cams, or want to move to a different set up, you will have to go to the trouble of removing them again. Its an invasive procedure.

duane v

Established Member
grandestang said:
Not trying to flame you duane, but didn't you even say yourself that the spool eats up your tires pretty quick on the street? I've driven a friends Monte on the street with a spool and every tight turn it feels like I'm just chewing miles off the tires. And even he admits he won't drive it in the rain because it can come around one him so easily. My buddies jeep with a spool hops like a rabbit on tight turns. If you're smart you can drive a spool just fine on the street, I just wouldn't want to be paying for the tire bill.

Also I think people are getting Quad all wrong.

The basic hotrodder buys a car and doesn't immediately have huge bucks to go blow on a mod. His list is simply a proven formula that WORKS. You spend your money little by little as you acquire it and suddenly you have a pretty nice setup. Change the order a little, yeah whatever... you do those mods and your car is gonna make decent power and pull like hell. I don't know why people are trying to complicate this? To install cams in my motor would be a nightmare. To find a reputable shop that knows mod motors and trust them that their work isn't going to take a crap in a year seems like just a lot of trouble for minimal gain. You have the tools and knowledge like daune v does to do this more economically, than maybe its smart to do. But for the average guy, I'd say stick to a more basic mod list like Quad has setup.

Paul
I don't think a spool was part of quadcammers mod list, I just referenced to the spool in terms of if I had to do my mods over again, a spool would have been one of the first mods...As for the tires, I was referring to my 315x60x15 DR's, I had to remove those once the spool was installed, because they grip the road to well during turns, so I switched to 275x60x15 all weather tires, and the problem with turning with a spool disappeared...go back and read my post on this subject. As for rain, I never drove my stang in the rain when it had a diff in it, so I'm sure I wont be driving in the rain with a spool.

IMO for someone to jump and say, this mod is wrong or right to do first is a bit pompous, especially if you haven't ran your vehicle through a particular mod for instance (cams) in your own vehicle..Its no secret what mods are usually done first. As an example If I had done cams first I would have known that a 4.88 gear would have been the perfect partner for my cam set-up, and would have saved $200 on the 4.30's..

Bottom line its pretty expensive to mod these vehicle, and if you don't have some what of a mechanical hand, well you'll have to dig deeper into the pockets..Ive learned every stanger has a different set of goals for their stangs, and just because they don't align with your personal views on modding, doesn't make the other stanger an imbecile for taking a different route..DA snake boy!!!

blacksnake305

Established Member
quadcammer said:
I really don't understand some people. Yeah the people that need to do weird mods, or do things in an ass backwards order? I really don't get it.

there are so many mods that work on these cars, i don't see why people need to be different.

1. gears
2. mid pipe
3. jlt cai
4. long tubes+ catback
5. pullies

bam, 310rwhp/310rwtq, with great sound, nice acceleration with the gears, and a fairly low cost.

I don't see why people want to reinvent the wheel with cams, wild intake set ups, or anything else right off the bat.

once you have some of the basic bolt ons, then move on to the wilder stuff. :shrug:

Hehe. you MUST be bored...

Quadcammer

Established Member
duane v said:
IMO for someone to jump and say, this mod is wrong or right to do first is a bit pompous, especially if you haven't ran your vehicle through a particular mod for instance (cams) in your own vehicle..Its no secret what mods are usually done first.

Ive learned every stanger has a different set of goals for their stangs, and just because they don't align with your personal views on modding, doesn't make the other stanger an imbecile for taking a different route..DA snake boy!!!
never said anybody was an imbecile, i was just wondering and questioning why someone would do that.

in addition, I have had aftermarket cams for 3 different setups and over 2.5 years.

blacksnake305

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
You know what, I totally agree with you. I mean why is it that some people do foolish and weird mods like deleting the PCV system and putting breathers on the valve covers and then to top it off, when the driver starts to complain about all the oil fumes entering the cabin from those cool looking breathers, instead of doing the right thing and putting the PCV valve back in, they follow the advice on some forum and put socks over the breathers? :nonono:
I guess if a Cobra starts leaking oil from the oil pan then the owner can follow the PCV sock breather fix example and duck tape some baby diapers to the oil pan. :-D Another really weird mod for the street would be a spool. :burn:
Spools are fine for drag race only vehicles, but they have no place on a street driven vehicle.

this one I agree with, as you can see from my PCV setup HERE

As for the rest of the original post: I'm not even sure how to respond. IMHO, its really outta left field and doesn't seem to be grounded in any sound logic. I say this because you dont even bother to take the position of a: Drag Racer, Open Tracker, Auto-Xer, Street Cruiser etc. If I had to guess, your a street cruiser who favors an OEM-type ride. I can appreciate that and I lean that way myself, but to slam all other logics is just silly. Its like saying all forms of Karate are crap (when you've only applied/studied one). It really isn't a question of you being right or wrong........... moreso in that you are presenting your opinion only....

Take my modifications for example (of which you may already be familiar). I regret almost none of what i've done. My car idles accelerates smoother than a stocker and I will rape most cars on the road (many blower cars included). My car will handle drag/open track duties in a competent manner as well. My core motor cost little more than a vortec/paxton + tune (in the same time period 03'). So all in all, I guess I find your original post mildly funny. But hey, you got me to post a response. lol

duane v

Established Member
quadcammer said:
I have had aftermarket cams for 3 different setups and over 2.5 years.
AH HA :-D ...Now I understand your discontent for cams, which is understandable...I might be upset too if I went through three cam grinds in my 4V'r...DA snake boy!!!!

Quadcammer

Established Member
no, i've had the same cams for 3 set ups. Houston performance blower cams for a 10.5 NA setup, a 10.5cr blown setup, and an 8.5cr blown set up.

cams were never changed.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Ya know, if we all had the same mods there would be no worthwhile discussions like this one here. In fact, there wouldn't even be a need for a forum like this one here.

I love my cams :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper:

duane v

Established Member
quadcammer said:
no, i've had the same cams for 3 set ups. Houston performance blower cams for a 10.5 NA setup, a 10.5cr blown setup, and an 8.5cr blown set up.

cams were never changed.
:eek: You have three mustangs???

Users who are viewing this thread