why do people make things harder?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
duane v said:
You might wanna add slicks to the list :-D , as you know lower gears without slicks at the track = long day :-D ...My buddies 99 Cobra run 13.1 at 106 mph with 17" drag radials and all he has is Stage III Crower custom grind, tune and a O/R h-pipe...Dont get me wrong, your direction is great for a stanger thats not ready to go with cam upgrades, but it doesnt mean its wrong to start with cams either...Either way you cant go wrong :beer: ....DA snake boy!!!

106 mph isn't THAT much higher than what a stock Cobra traps. Well...it's a fair bit higher than what my stock Cobra trapped...but I suck at the driving part, so that doesn't count. :D

Seems like a lot of work for 3 mph. Of course, I suppose it does set you up nicely for future mods.

Taz, most people that post here wanting to do XYZ mods are looking for either opinions or facts about them. Why do you think there are so many 'are these good mods' threads? It is implied by a post that anyone who posts a 'possible mods' thread is looking for feedback on them. We can give opinion and facts, but it really boils down to not wanting people to waste money and getting discouraged when their $1500 worth of mods don't make the car feel different. If they get discouraged, they may get out of the hobby entirely.
I would hope if someone came in and said 'I want to do a throttle body instead of a CAI', you would volunteer the information. I know that if I were that person, I would want to know, even if I decided to do what I wanted anyhow.

Spring is around the corner guys.

CobraG

Established Member
I know for me, it comes down to time, family and money. I don't have a lot of money to throw at my Cobra so I ask a ton of questions and do a lot of research before I buy. I went with a RAI first due to the money and my wife bought me a MGW shifter.
Gears are on my list but with a price tag of $500 + I have them on hold for the time being.
But no one on this site has ever done me wrong, I know Quad has helped me quiet a bit.
But I would keep the items I mentioned above kept in mind, time, family and money. I have two small kids and the wife and I both go to school at night so modding the car takes careful planning. I can't afford to let it sit cause I don't know how to fix something I tore apart, that's why my shifter is still sitting in it's box.
But in my opinion this is the best site to come to for advice, and my favorite site by far.
You guys are all good guys with a lot of knowledge to share, I apprecaite all of you. So let's all be friends :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I meant for power mods. suspension is very important too.

as for longtubes, I don't have them either. just an o/r pipe will do the job, and jba shorty headers are pretty decent.
Agreed 100%.. and I am sporting the JBA shorties (had 'em installed at the same time the suspension mods were done).

BTW: I think you give out a lot of great info... some peeps are just haters,
don't let 'em rent space in your head bro ;-)

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well thanks for the support guys. I didn't expect such a shitstorm from this thread.

I was really just wondering (probably in a badly explained way) why some people do invasive mods like cams first.

Either way, no hard feelings.

hatsharpener

Established Member
You know, after reading all of this, I was expecting to see a post from Hitman or maybe dvarapala, Hisss 99, oldracer, or any of the other [old] BON crew :D

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
duane v said:
Well lets add up quadcammers mod list:
1. gears= $500 (with install)
2. mid pipe= $150
3. jlt cai= $250
4. long tubes+ catback= $1000 (with install)
5. pullies = $250 (with install)

So if you dont work on your stang youll be looking at $2000 to get maybe .2 e.t at the track....Sorry, but gears without slicks at the track = big disappointment....Sorry but for $2000 you can get a set of Crower regrinds, have them degreed and installed and a custom tune, and pull better e.t's than with quadcammers's mod list...DA snake boy!!!

you contradict my statement by saying that all that money and you wont pick up 2 tenths in the 1/4. Your statement is assuming someone cant work on their own car, it is also assuming that they are going to be going the the dragstrip with it. Me personally I would leave out the tires and put that money towards something else. Not all of us have to see 1/4 mile times to enjoy improvement of our mods.

Also I never discredited cams or their benefits to the car. I did however backup that the mods quadcammer listed are proven fact to be great modifications to any cobra/gt. They will make hp numbers and you will see improvments with then installed. And as much as you may want to do cams and a tune, some people want to think they got a few more parts for their 2k than just a damn set of cams. If I blow 2k out the window I would kinda like to have a mod list.

Whats impressive about this:
2001 cobra
stock catback
stock intakes
stock headers
stock h-pipe
stock gears
stock tires
stock air filter
stock shifter
SHM stage 2 cams
Custom tune
309 rwhp 311 rwtq

WOW that sure does look impressive to me.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I miss the days when people would talk hard facts and get into an intillectual debate- perhaps flex some brain muscle. Unlike this thread were certain people come to vent their aggressions and fling poo all over the forum rather then talk things out.
Nana-nana-boo-boo type replies don't make for great arguments and are not good fun.

:sleeping:

duane v

Established Member
lasercobra said:
I miss the days when people would talk hard facts and get into an intillectual debate- perhaps flex some brain muscle. Unlike this thread were certain people come to vent their aggressions and fling poo all over the forum rather then talk things out.
Nana-nana-boo-boo type replies don't make for great arguments and are not good fun.

:sleeping:
The fact of the matter is the majority of stangers are only familiar with the standard bolt-ons, which is ok...I would bet just in this thread alone, I might be only 1 of 2 people in this thread that have actually dealed with cams on a modular...But everyone is entitled to their opinions...DA snake boy!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
lemosley01 said:
106 mph isn't THAT much higher than what a stock Cobra traps. Well...it's a fair bit higher than what my stock Cobra trapped...but I suck at the driving part, so that doesn't count. :D

Seems like a lot of work for 3 mph. Of course, I suppose it does set you up nicely for future mods.

no kidding, my 01 trapped 106 (13.3) on a pisspoor 2.2 short time with a midpipe and catback, that was it.

although the track is at 70ft above sea level

duane v

Established Member
Double"O" said:
no kidding, my 01 trapped 106 (13.3) on a pisspoor 2.2 short time with a midpipe and catback, that was it.

although the track is at 70ft above sea level
Your stang wont see that mph at any SoCal track, youll be in for a straight up shock what your stang would mph at LACR...2000 feet above sea level :( ...DA snake boy!!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
duane v said:
Your stang wont see that mph at any SoCal track, youll be in for a straight up shock what your stang would mph at LACR...2000 feet above sea level :( ...DA snake boy!!!!

depends on the DA, although 2k isn't that much it will certainly show in both ET and trap. but i wouldn't expect to see it drop dramically

duane v

Established Member
Double"O" said:
depends on the DA, although 2k isn't that much it will certainly show in both ET and trap. but i wouldn't expect to see it drop dramically
You would be shocked, if you ran your stang at LACR, you would probaly wonder if you lost a cylinder, that track is tough on mph....Guys that run 111 to 112 at California speedway, run only 108 at LACR :shrug: ...SoCal 1/4 mile tracks that allow street legals to run are tough..But we do have a great 1/8 mile track at Irwindale speedway, well thats what Ive been told...DA snake boy!!!!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
duane v said:
You would be shocked, if you ran your stang at LACR, you would probaly wonder if you lost a cylinder, that track is tough on mph....Guys that run 111 to 112 at California speedway, run only 108 at LACR :shrug: ...SoCal 1/4 mile tracks that allow street legals to run are tough..But we do have a great 1/8 mile track at Irwindale speedway, well thats what Ive been told...DA snake boy!!!!

holy crap!

duane v

Established Member
Double"O" said:
holy crap!
I guess we can complain all we want in SoCal, but the fact of the matter is you're able to hit 106 mph at your local track, and 106 is a 106 no matter what track its at, so its something to be happy with, especially with your set-up...DA snake boy!!!!

cobraracer46

Banned
quadcammer said:
I really don't understand some people. Yeah the people that need to do weird mods, or do things in an ass backwards order? I really don't get it
You know what, I totally agree with you. I mean why is it that some people do foolish and weird mods like deleting the PCV system and putting breathers on the valve covers and then to top it off, when the driver starts to complain about all the oil fumes entering the cabin from those cool looking breathers, instead of doing the right thing and putting the PCV valve back in, they follow the advice on some forum and put socks over the breathers? :nonono:
I guess if a Cobra starts leaking oil from the oil pan then the owner can follow the PCV sock breather fix example and duck tape some baby diapers to the oil pan. :-D Another really weird mod for the street would be a spool. :burn:
Spools are fine for drag race only vehicles, but they have no place on a street driven vehicle.

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
You know what, I totally agree with you. I mean why is it that some people do foolish and weird mods like deleting the PCV system and putting breathers on the valve covers and then to top it off, when the driver starts to complain about all the oil fumes entering the cabin from those cool looking breathers, instead of doing the right thing and putting the PCV valve back in, they follow the advice on some forum and put socks over the breathers? :nonono:
I guess if a Cobra starts leaking oil from the oil pan then the owner can follow the PCV sock breather fix example and duck tape some baby diapers to the oil pan. :-D Another really weird mod for the street would be a spool. :burn:
Spools are fine for drag race only vehicles, but they have no place on a street driven vehicle.
Didnt know breathers were considered a mod :rollseyes ....Have you ever drove a vehicle with a spool???? and dont lie :rollseyes ....DA snake boy!!!

cobraracer46

Banned
duane v said:
Didnt know breathers were considered a mod :rollseyes ....Have you ever drove a vehicle with a spool???? and dont lie :rollseyes ....DA snake boy!!!
No I have never driven a vehicle with a spool because it is drag race only mod. I know how how a spool works so I would never put one in my street driven cobra. A spool on a street driven car is not only stupid, but extremely dangerous if such a combination is driven in the rain.
Like I said a spool is fine on a drag race only vehicle that will never see any street driving. Reider Racing in taylor Michigan, distributor of rear end gears, differentials and spools specifically states that spools are not for street use. Ford racing also states in bold print the following about spools: " not for street use!"

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
No I have never driven a vehicle with a spool because it is drag race only mod. I know how how a spool works so I would never put one in my street driven cobra. A spool on a street driven car is not only stupid, but extremely dangerous if such a combination is driven in the rain.
Like I said a spool is fine on a drag race only vehicle that will never see any street driving. Reider Racing in taylor Michigan, distributor of rear end gears, differentials and spools specifically states that spools are not for street use. Ford racing also states in bold print the following about spools: " not for street use!"
so are o/r h-pipes dorkasaurus :rollseyes ...I kinda figured you've never driven a vehicle with a spool...Thats one of the biggest issues with tech forums, especially people like yourself that haven't dealt with a situation first hand. But I admire your admittance to ignorance, which has kept you from entering the realm of stupidity..my hats off to you sir :beer: ...DA snake boy!!!!

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
duane v said:
so are o/r h-pipes dorkasaurus :rollseyes ...
Listen here you stupid mother f u c k e r, An off road H Pipe on a old car is fine for the street. a spool on the other hand, will not allow a vehicle to maneuver tight turns, in a addition, if a spool equipped vehicle negotiates a wet free way corner when it is raining, the said vehicle will spin out and crash because there is not differential action. it would be the same as yanking the E brake while cornering. Have a nice day snake boy :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread