why do people make things harder?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I really don't understand some people. Yeah the people that need to do weird mods, or do things in an ass backwards order? I really don't get it.

there are so many mods that work on these cars, i don't see why people need to be different.

1. gears
2. mid pipe
3. jlt cai
4. long tubes+ catback
5. pullies

bam, 310rwhp/310rwtq, with great sound, nice acceleration with the gears, and a fairly low cost.

I don't see why people want to reinvent the wheel with cams, wild intake set ups, or anything else right off the bat.

once you have some of the basic bolt ons, then move on to the wilder stuff. :shrug:

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I don't see why people want to reinvent the wheel with cams, wild intake set ups, or anything else right off the bat.

once you have some of the basic bolt ons, then move on to the wilder stuff. :shrug:

It also doesn't make much sense financially. The basic bolt-ons give you the best HP/$ return on your money. Intake maifolds, heads, and cams give you the worst return.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
quadcammer said:
i don't see why people need to be different.

1. gears
2. mid pipe
3. jlt cai
4. long tubes+ catback
5. pullies

Because that is what hot rodding is all about. You do whgat you want and I'll do what I want.

Your mods add up to what my cams and x-pipe costs. :lol:

As for the JLT CAI, if it was so darn good all the racers would be using them. Well guess what, they aren't.

I spend my money on bang for the buck items only. I have 311RWHP with only an X-pipe and cams. Wait till I add the bolt-ons.

Oh, and I have B-heads.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
na svt said:
Because that is what hot rodding is all about. You do whgat you want and I'll do what I want.

Your mods add up to what my cams and x-pipe costs. :lol:

As for the JLT CAI, if it was so darn good all the racers would be using them. Well guess what, they aren't.

I spend my money on bang for the buck items only. I have 311RWHP with only an X-pipe and cams. Wait till I add the bolt-ons.
i dealt with you in the other thread. don't bring that nonsense here.

Hepcat007

Established Member
I think that a lot of people just do things different because they want somthing different than everyone else. I know that I could have made a whole lot more power probably a lot cheaper than i did, but then I wouldn't have somthing special and unique. Plus, I think that some people get freaked out about some mods like gears. For some reason, no one believes that 4:10's or 4:30's are great for daily driving until they get them.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Hepcat007 said:
I think that a lot of people just do things different because they want somthing different than everyone else. I know that I could have made a whole lot more power probably a lot cheaper than i did, but then I wouldn't have somthing special and unique. Plus, I think that some people get freaked out about some mods like gears. For some reason, no one believes that 4:10's or 4:30's are great for daily driving until they get them.

Very true but you went about it the smart way so you could get the most for your buck down the road.

Basics are basics. It only changes a little.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Hepcat007 said:

once you go to forced induction, it kind of voids the argument. for people who know they are gonna get a blower right away, only a few bolt on's make sense. for you with your exhaust parts taken care of, i would have got the turbo kit from the start.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Let's just get the mods that quadcammer tells us to get and he'll be happy.

Dealt with me in the other thread?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
na svt said:
Let's just get the mods that quadcammer tells us to get and he'll be happy.

Dealt with me in the other thread?

I like quadcammer, he has a lot of good useful info, but tends to disagree with non-traditional ways of doing things.

He had a comment for what I was doing as well...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205108

Turns out, it was the best thing I've ever done to any of my cars for the money I paid.

It's all a matter of opinion and should be taken lightly anyway you see it. We're all different and express that our own ways. Even our soul mates rarely agree with us (ask any married man).

Quadcammer

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I like quadcammer, he has a lot of good useful info, but tends to disagree with non-traditional ways of doing things.

He had a comment for what I was doing as well...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205108

Turns out, it was the best thing I've ever done to any of my cars for the money I paid.

It's all a matter of opinion and should be taken lightly anyway you see it. We're all different and express that our own ways. Even our soul mates rarely agree with us (ask any married man).

lets face it, things are usually popular cause they work.

while not in the traditional form, you added boost to a 4v, that works and is very popular.

you did an expensive swap, including all the brackets, pullies, he, pumps, etc. you also had a blower port, and dropped the compression. I don't like the eaton swaps on a stock motor because the insant boost and higher compression can be tough on the rods and pistons. 9 psi at 2500rpm is a lot and means a good tune. With lower compression forged internals, its more forgiving.

if you have a hook up, its different, but for the average person, taking a stock engine, and putting an eaton on it to make 500rwhp is about a 10k proposition, at least.

its all opinion, but when people want cams as a first mod, i really wonder why. there are cheap, proven mods that work. I would always go with them first.

btw, im glad you like your eaton car. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Forced Induction

quadcammer said:
once you go to forced induction, it kind of voids the argument. for people who know they are gonna get a blower right away, only a few bolt on's make sense. for you with your exhaust parts taken care of, i would have got the turbo kit from the start.

No Chit-
I have very few traditional mods. Stock everything except KB blower and meth injection. results are 400 rwhp on a very conservative tune. Going to go cat-back this summer which will probably put me at ~415 rwhp. The game changes considerably with FI.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Me too Bill, only i went exhaust first then KB.

How is the Meth injection working for ya???

Quad it's not really the stress that 9psi causes at 2500rpms that concerns me with the KB, it's the 9psi from 2500-redline that worries me. I wouldn't dream of taking my car to 7k on boost without a forged bottom end. (still saving for that)

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
Double"O" said:
Me too Bill, only i went exhaust first then KB.

How is the Meth injection working for ya???

Quad it's not really the stress that 9psi causes at 2500rpms that concerns me with the KB, it's the 9psi from 2500-redline that worries me. I wouldn't dream of taking my car to 7k on boost without a forged bottom end. (still saving for that)
indeed that much boost for that long is an issue.

my point was basically, that with the roots blower, the boost is so instant, its an almost nitrous like spike in cylinder pressure at low rpm. that can be damaging to all kinds of parts.

will it last for a while? if its tuned real well? sure. but since these swaps are not common, there aren't too many good base tunes out there, and you may get a tuner trying to experiment to get numbers that make it seem worth it.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
quadcammer said:
you did an expensive swap, including all the brackets, pullies, he, pumps, etc. you also had a blower port, and dropped the compression.

btw, im glad you like your eaton car. :thumbsup:

The actual Eaton swap and everything related (blower was ported when I got it) was $2,500. That included a Gords HE with dual fans, a CAI, all the billet pulleys, and the ported blower.

When it was all said and done including building the motor (rods, pistons, and .020 over, etc) and the Eaton swap I spent $4,300 (I did all the labor). Helluva bargain for the "extras" I got. Although I am cheap, and only buy when it's simply NOT cheaper anywhere else.

You're right though, to the average person, that same venture would likely cost somewhere near 10k.

I also forgot to mention that I do agree with you about the "typical" bolton stuff that generally should be done first. It's quick and easy, and effective. BUT, if the end goal is the same, then it really doesn't matter what order someone does it in. If you're going to do cams eventually, what the hell, get them done and out of the way, then worry about the small stuff.

Anyway, my whole point to all this is... Everyone has a "plan" of attack for their own car. Which means they've already weighed the pros and cons for each modification and have chosen something over the other for one reason or another. You may not agree with that, but it's how people work.

I, along with many others I'm sure, look for others' support in my endeavors, rather than criticism simply because it's not how they believe it to be done.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
quadcammer said:
since these swaps are not common, there aren't too many good base tunes out there, and you may get a tuner trying to experiment to get numbers that make it seem worth it.

I agree fully with that. When searching for a tune, I had alot of "tuners" telling me they'd set me up with a base tune (obviously for a fee), then tell me to watch detonation, and get back with them and they'd adjust timing/fuel as needed (for another fee of course). That made me very nervous. I didn't have a problem spending some money to make it right, it was the whole "trial and error" thing that wasn't to my liking.

Taz

Established Member
quadcammer said:
i dealt with you in the other thread. don't bring that nonsense here.

:lol:

OMFG! I ignore most of your ridiculous crap and just let the kids eat it up if that's what floats their boats, but you're way over the line on this one. This is a HOBBY, each of us is not only free to find his/her own way, but should be ENCOURAGED to do so, as long as that doesn't involve pissing in somebody else's Koolaid. After all, none of us learns anything new if nobody tries anything different.

:idea:

You are not the Oracle of Delphi, and not everyone wants to be Oli's clone. As I recall, your path to automotive perfection hasn't exactly been the smoothest trajectory, now has it?

:shrug:

Lemme see, who was it that had to build his own motor TWICE???

Ummm. You.

:nonono:

And you had to build it - or paid a shop to build it - the first time because WHY???

Oh, ya, because you F'd up your own pulley installation and trashed your stock block.

And you had to build it - or have it built - the second time because WHY???

Oh, ya, because the first time you were dead set on a 10.5:1 CR for a forced induction motor, and NOBODY could change your mind.

Soooo, at this point, you've spent $5892983948374982359847239482.46 building up your ride. You never run it at the track, and you say that you never race it on the street, but you want to lecture folks for not getting what you consider the best bang for the buck?

:bs:

Ya, I'm a dickhead.

:D

Happy New Year,

T-

:pop:

PS - Positive displacement boost isn't a goddamned thing like nitrous. You've got your head up your ass.

Hepcat007

Established Member
Is it just me or is it getting warm in here LOL. This may be the first New Edge topic controversial enough to make it to smackdown.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I think most people are missing the point. A little research and people will see they do not need a t/b with a stock motor, and that stage 3 cams aren't what they need for their dd. Most people that have to ask, usually don't have a serious intent with their car. I have plans for a blower, have since day 1. The mods I have done are leading up to that point. Someone not planning on keeping the car forever, or wants to keep it as a dd usually need to stick with the list he provided, it is proven, doesn't affect driveability and everything except for the longtubes any idiot can do.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The problem is when someone strays from his "list" it's like they accidentally bumped the self destruct button on a nuclear reactor (okay, maybe not so dramatic, but you get my point).

I fully agree with that list of basic mods. But who's to say those are the set-in-stone first things to do?

I put a blower on, then built my motor, and I still have stock gears! Am I an outcast?

Users who are viewing this thread