Why do Americans think America is the greatest country in the world?

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Start comparing, most any country stat and the truth will get laid out there for you to understand, GDP, freedom of most anything... oh did I mention freedom. Although some of us may act like spoiled kids, probably shouldn't judge the whole on that one. Got to admit thread was a little Trollish... but hey you got me!

Ok here are the stats:

Your economy ranks 18/110
Your country ranks 5/110 in entrepreneurship and opportunity
Your country ranks 13/110 in education
Your country ranks 26/110 in safety and security
and as for Freedom your country ranks 12/110

I agree you shouldn't judge the whole pie based one slice of it, however you completely seem to have missed the point of what this thread was about. I wanted to hear directly from the horses mouth why American's think America is the greatest country in the world.

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
This is not an easy question to answer. We all have different opinions on what makes a country or this country great. For me it's so many things on different levels. It's partially pride simply because it's where I'm from. Where I was raised. I'm proud of who I am and where I come from, they are intertwined. This country is so screwed up on so many levels, it can be hard to keep faith at times. The one thing that keeps me patriotic is that I still believe in the idea of america, the american dream. The idea of limited central government and inalienable rights endowed by our maker not the government. That no matter who you are and where you come from, if you work hard and are persistent you can be successful. But honestly the #1 reason I believe the united started of america is the best country is the constitution. If we could just learn to read the damn thing and take heed.

Well you seem to have answered it very well! :beer:

[youtube_browser]Q2BfqDUPL1I[/youtube_browser]

Video goes a little too far. Someone can make the same argument that the books you read or the people you listen and the thoughts you adhere to, are brainwashing you. There's nothing wrong with having our young people pledge allegiance to the flag of this country. Pledging allegiance to this country as a child will not guarantee that you'll fight for it or believe everything that your government tells you. Young people should be instilled with love for their country. This is after all where they live. Most born here will have an occupation as a result of learning English and being schooled in America. What ever happened to having some respect for the place you live?

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Countless people risk their lives and deportation to "break in" to America. Not so other countries on earth. This is the greatest country in the world for that alone. This is the one country where you have unprecedented opportunities to start at rock bottom and rise to the rockpile.
Uh, no. That's due to our geographical location, ie. boardering a far shittier country yet remaining very loose of immigration.

If just about any other European country boarded Mexico and was loose on immigration you should see the same number of immigrants on their land, would they then be the greatest country in the world?

We WERE absolutely the best country for quite a while, especially in the WW2 era. With that said I would be very hard pressed to say that is still currently the case.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Here are the various reasons that immediately come to mind.

Pizza.
Beef. etc.
Climatic variation. You can find any type of terrain for any sport you can imagine.
Relatively low taxes compared to most other civilized countries.
Guns. The ability to own them, and the huge variety available.
Freedom to worship any God you want. Except Allah.
Women (that bathe regularly)
Atomic throw weight. Even after destroying many, many, of our thermonuclear weapons we still have the ability to end all human and animal life on Earth. So if it really comes down to it, it's our way or the highway.
We have gone to the Moon, and you haven't.
Plus Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and we are on the way to Pluto as we speak.

Now list any other Nations achievements. Go ahead, I dare you.
(if you are from Sweden, Norway, or Iceland I will concede the women part)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you have managed to comfirm the SVTP feeling that canuks are the dumbest asshats in the entire world. Congratulations

This is obviously a broad generalization but all of the Americans at least that I have had the displeasure of meeting have been complete dumbasses. I have only met a few but it seems that, like Alberta, you have a lot of bad apples making you guys look bad!

Explain this phenomenon for me please. I'd also like to state this isn't created as a means to bash Americans. I know that there is good and bad in every group of people. I'd just like to discuss this!

As a further note I will mention there are a lot of Canadians I can't stand and seem to think Canada is the greatest country in the world.

I understand patriotism but blind patriotism I don't.

I'm glad to hear some opinions from both sides about this!! :popcorn:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I enjoyed my time travelling across the United States. I considered moving to the USA but the price for college was just astronomical. I love travelling and I really enjoyed the people, and the scenery in the states. I live in Toronto and its amazing how selfish, lazy and arrogant the people are here. Nevermind the fact that we are paying consideribly more for everything here. For example... My Laguna Seca was $59k before tax! 2L cocacola is $1.99 and the avg. price of a home is around $450,000. Dollar for dollar you get a better value in the USA. $1 goes further in the USA then here. Hell, the $1 stores here now charge $1.25, $1.50 lol

Toronto:
Toronto-Skyline.jpg

Vancouver:
vancouver1.jpg

Last edited:

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Here are the various reasons that immediately come to mind.

Pizza.
Beef. etc.
Climatic variation. You can find any type of terrain for any sport you can imagine.
Relatively low taxes compared to most other civilized countries.
Guns. The ability to own them, and the huge variety available.
Freedom to worship any God you want. Except Allah.
Women (that bathe regularly)
Atomic throw weight. Even after destroying many, many, of our thermonuclear weapons we still have the ability to end all human and animal life on Earth. So if it really comes down to it, it's our way or the highway.
We have gone to the Moon, and you haven't.
Plus Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and we are on the way to Pluto as we speak.

Now list any other Nations achievements. Go ahead, I dare you.
(if you are from Sweden, Norway, or Iceland I will concede the women part)

Your nation didn't invent pizza, nor beef, despite popular belief we have a normal climate, agree on the taxes, I can't tell if this next part is a joke or not, our women do bath here in Canada at least once daily (at least the women I know), and I'll agree with you on the last three parts.

As I said before History does play a huge part and I wanted to see from your guys opinions why you think America is the greatest country. I wanted some personal opinion. There seem to be some who think I'm trying to start a pissing match but I actually wanted to see from your opinions what you think makes America a great nation. :beer:

Also here are a few of Canada's achievements as you asked for them:

AC Radio Tube Invented by Edward Samuels Rogers in 1925
Bone Marrow Compatibility Test Invented by Barbara Bain in 1960
Insulin Process Fredrick Banting, J. J. Macleod, Charles Best and Collip invented the process for insulin in 1922
Jetliner The first commercial jetliner to fly in North America was designed by James Floyd in 1949. The first test flight of the Avro Jetliner was on August 10 1949.
Light Bulb Leads Leads made of nickel & iron alloy were invented by Reginald A. Fessenden in 1892
Newsprint Invented by Charles Fenerty in 1838
Odometer Invented by Samuel McKeen in 1854

Television System Reginald A. Fessenden patented a television system in 1927
Television Camera Invented by F. C. P. Henroteau in 1934
Telephone Invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876
Telephone Handset Invented by Cyril Duquet in 1878

Zipper Invented by Gideon Sundback in 1913

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Are you kidding me?
New York and Jersey would have way more people open to other countries and how good they can be.
The whole 'merica &^%$ YEA! close minded mentality is down south.

I like Canada, went to Mont Tremblant last winter and it was awesome!
Used to go to Toronto for work and I always enjoyed it.

Not what I meant. I mean the general snobby attitude I have expierenced from almost 98% of people from the North in the military, they all fit the stereotype well.

Im not North bashing but the way of life up there just isnt for me.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Not what I meant. I mean the general snobby attitude I have expierenced from almost 98% of people from the North in the military, they all fit the stereotype well.

Totally agree... I've meet quite a few people from New York, or the Northeast and well I haven't liked any of them. They just have that attitude. Makes me not want to go to the NE ever.

truefiveo

Established Member

I gotta agree with SteveChris, I got so tired of seeing all that confederate crap while I served under the United States of America Flag.

Really the south will rise again???:shrug:

Meanwhile your in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
I'm glad its not allowed to be publicly displayed on military installations.
I found these southern confederate traditional service members to be the most narrow minded, ignorant and primitive of all.

You ever run into some of these southern guard and reserve Army units in the desert???
OMG, you would think the US Army has totally dismissed all enlistment standards, of what kinda racial ignorant crap
comes out of these peoples mouth's and how they deal with anyone over there who's not American.

The same very primitive's who go to a foreign country and expect and demand others to speak English.
We have some idiot service members within our military ranks representing our country as arrogant narrow minded tyrants.

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Im from a deep southern part of Georgia, rich with Confederate history. Not once have I ever said " the south will rise again." I think its a dumb statement said humurously now days, but was a serious subject for a few years after the war. But I have and still do try to further my knowledge on the subject of my states history along with U.S. history.

I guess we all revert back to the ways of how we were raised. But I just couldnt do it. I have visited home towns of the few people that I get along with from Jersey and the Brooklyn area and I couldnt stand it.

clbailey

Established Member
I gotta agree with SteveChris, I got so tired of seeing all that confederate crap while I served under the United States of America Flag.

Really the south will rise again???:shrug:

Meanwhile your in the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
I'm glad its not allowed to be publicly displayed on military installations.I found these southern confederate traditional service members to be the most narrow minded, ignorant and primitive of all.

You ever run into some of these southern guard and reserve Army units in the desert???
OMG, you would think the US Army has totally dismissed all enlistment standards, of what kinda racial ignorant crap
comes out of these peoples mouth's and how they deal with anyone over there who's not American.

The same very primitive's who go to a foreign country and expect and demand others to speak English.
We have some idiot service members within our military ranks representing our country as arrogant narrow minded tyrants.

What do you mean with the bold text?

I can agree with some of these but I think alot of it has to do with the lower standards the Army allowed. Havent seen any TRUE racism or hate mongers in my 6 years active including 2 deployments.

Users who are viewing this thread